Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

a magnavox vcr/dvd recorder, dvd tray stuck, won't open.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-08-18, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a Magnavox ZV450MW8 VCR/DVD Recorder. I got this machine asis on eBay. The seller told me about the VCR side of the house. The VCR side needs new belts, springs, felt pads and a dab of white grease. The takeup reel is dragging. The DVD side, the DVD side is spouse to play DVD's just fine. He tested it just before boxing it up. When I got it and plugged it in, the DVD tray won't open. The display says "opening". The tray does nothing and the device turns off after about 2 seconds. I opened up the DVD deck and the motor that turns the gears is not moving. I checked the red and black wires coming out of the motor at the pc board with my VOM. There is no voltage. Apparently the DVD deck got damaged during shipping.
I sometimes buy asis things to fix, to keep me busy. I am retired, I used to fix 2 way radios and tv's for a living. I only get things that need simple fixing. I can't work on pc boards anymore. I have micro tremors in my hands. I can't hold the soldering iron still anymore.

I have since ordered from eBay an OEM rebuilt/used DVD deck for this Magnavox DVD/VCR combo. I got the DVD deck via snail mail today and put the new DVD deck in. The DVD deck now plays DVD's just fine. The tv channel tuner is now working. I can receive all the local on the air tv ch's via the digital converter box. But I can't record to any DVD's. I get the following error message "Recording error, can not record to this disk, error code E21" I tried a blank + read/write DVD and a regular "one time record" blank + DVD. Both DVD's show in my laptop as still blank and still usable. This DVD + read/write and regular blank + DVD's are the same blanks that I used in the last Magnavox ZV450MW8 VCR/DVD Recorder that I had. I got that one new at Walmart a few years back and it lasted a long time until the DVD deck went belly up and croaked. I know I still need to fix the VCR side of the house. It takes the tape cartage in, the tape arms pull the tape out and it starts to play. Then the tape retracts back into the cartage and the machine ejects the cartage and turns off. I already found a damaged tension spring on the idler arm. That's is far as I have gotten on the VCR side. I want to get the DVD side recording 1st. By the way the Magnavox didn't come with a remote. I have my eye out about an online place that sells the remote. But I don't want to get the remote until I am sure that the machine 100% works.

Steve
Old 04-08-18, 09:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: a magnavox vcr/dvd recorder, dvd tray stuck, won't open.

Wow Steve, it sounds like you have quite a collector’s item there.
Old 04-08-18, 09:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

get the Delorean up to 88mph and ask the guy at Radioshack
Old 04-08-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
get the Delorean up to 88mph and ask the guy at Radioshack
Does this violate the temporal prime directive?

Old 04-08-18, 05:50 PM

What does Star Trek and the movie Back to the future have to do with fixing a DVD/VCR machine? I know all about the "violating of the temporal prime directive" I am a big fan of Star Trek. I belong to a Star Trek fan club and I sit on the board of directors for Radcon a general Science Fiction/Fantasy convention.
So talk of science fiction isn't germane to the discussion. So please stay focused on the subject at hand.

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Does this violate the temporal prime directive?

Old 04-08-18, 06:00 PM
Banned by request

Subject at hand is that you bought something ancient. So unless you can travel back in time and get what you need, you’re probably taking the best route right now. Personally if I needed VHS transferred to DVD, I’d just take it to an electronics shop that does that type of thing. Or just keep looking for parts for what you bought and try and reassemble it for yourself.

Also, I’m not even sure if you’re on here asking us for something or just stating your experience of buying this.
Old 04-08-18, 06:35 PM

I need to know what the error message E21 means when I try to record to a blank DVD. And I am an old fossil. I have a good size library of VHS tapes. The complete set (all 6 sessions) on VHS of Star Trek 2nd gen and all the Star Trek movies of the TOS crew on VHS

Originally Posted by E Unit
Subject at hand is that you bought something ancient. So unless you can travel back in time and get what you need, you’re probably taking the best route right now. Personally if I needed VHS transferred to DVD, I’d just take it to an electronics shop that does that type of thing. Or just keep looking for parts for what you bought and try and reassemble it for yourself.

Also, I’m not even sure if you’re on here asking us for something or just stating your experience of buying this.
Old 04-08-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Wow Steve, it sounds like you have quite a collector’s item there.

Sorry Steve but I found that comment hilarious.
Old 04-08-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Does anyone even make DVD recorders anymore?

I have a Toshiba I bought from Sam's about nine years ago that's still holding up. The remote has gotten hinky, though, and only works if I'm within a couple of feet on the console.
Old 04-08-18, 07:09 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by reble
I need to know what the error message E21 means when I try to record to a blank DVD. And I am an old fossil. I have a good size library of VHS tapes. The complete set (all 6 sessions) on VHS of Star Trek 2nd gen and all the Star Trek movies of the TOS crew on VHS
I’d just Google the model for the instructions. That’s about as good as shot as you’ll get on something like that. Instruction manuals are usually archived, so you should try visiting the Magnavox site and that model. Manual should give a list of those error messages.
Old 04-08-18, 10:49 PM

I have the instruction manual already on my hard drive in a pdf format. There is nothing in the manual about the screen error codes. When I was working in the repair shop we had a large notebook with the codes for every brand of VCR, DVD player and VCR/DVD combos. I Think if I remember correctly E21 has to do with the default format of the blank disk. The manual says that this machine can record and play on both DVD minus and plus R disks. And this model was the last production run before the change over from analog to digital. I have been looking for the codes with no luck.
By the way I also have a large library on VHS and DVD of old scifi, some horror and western B movies, ww2, newer scifi and disasters movies. Like I said before I could have payed a bit more for a working unit. By Keeping my hand in it keeps my mind from going to wast.

I’d just Google the model for the instructions. That’s about as good as shot as you’ll get on something like that. Instruction manuals are usually archived, so you should try visiting the Magnavox site and that model. Manual should give a list of those error messages.
Old 04-08-18, 10:58 PM

Josh If you know how to carefully take the remote apart you can clean up the contacts on the remote with Qtips and rubbing alcohol. I have been doing it for years. This method works very well if something gets spilled on the remote. And yes DVD recorders are still made.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Does anyone even make DVD recorders anymore?

I have a Toshiba I bought from Sam's about nine years ago that's still holding up. The remote has gotten hinky, though, and only works if I'm within a couple of feet on the console.

Last edited by reble; 04-08-18 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-08-18, 11:19 PM

Sometimes when I go to Star Trek conventions. There sometimes is an in house auction that ppl bring stuff to be auctioned off to help support the conventions. Most conventions are nonprofit. Most of the bidders don't go after the VHS tapes because they don't have anything to play them with or in some cases. Like 1 person. What is a VHS tape. One time there was a Sony Bata set. At 1 time I had 2 (1 working and the other spare parts) The very 1st home Video Tape machine put out by Sears and Roebuck. It looked like an over grown 8 track tape. I go so far back. When I was working on tv's, 2 way radios and so on. There was vacuum tube checkers in places like Albersons.

Originally Posted by Mike86

Sorry Steve but I found that comment hilarious.
Old 04-09-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

The Google would suggest that you try using a slower disc - e.g. 4x write speed. Has something to do with the manufacturer failing to imagine a scenario where faster discs would be available. Given that this is 2018, you may have to check eBay for older DVD-/+Rs.
Old 04-10-18, 11:00 PM

Vipper. There is nothing wrong with play back now, that the DVD deck was replaced, because of damage during shipping. It will play anything that is in a USA standered format. The problem is I don't have an OEM remote for this VCR/DVD combo right now. In order to change the record format from a -R to + R blank disk or set it to auto detect whether it has a -R DVD or a + R blank disk in it is set through the remote only. So if I want to record DVD's on this machine right now. I have to use - R DVD's or - Read/Write DVD's until the 3rd of May, that's my next payday. I will order the OEM remote and the VCR repair kit (belts,springs felt pads). That's all that the VCR side needs. The belts and the felt pads need replacing because the machine sat for a long time without use. And it has 1 bad tension spring on the idler arm.

steve

Originally Posted by Vipper II
The Google would suggest that you try using a slower disc - e.g. 4x write speed. Has something to do with the manufacturer failing to imagine a scenario where faster discs would be available. Given that this is 2018, you may have to check eBay for older DVD-/+Rs.