Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ROM: Spaceknight (W: Penn) - News

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

MARCH 26, 2018 3:12pm PT by Etan Vlessing
'Ready Player One' Writer Zak Penn to Adapt Hasbro's 'ROM' for Film

Paramount and Hasbro's Allspark Pictures have hired the scribe to make a 'ROM: Spaceknight' movie.

Ready Player One scribe Zak Penn is set to adapt the ROM toy turned comic book universe into a movie for Hasbro's Allspark Pictures and Paramount, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Penn, who penned Steven Spielberg’s virtual reality celebration of the pop culture of the 1980s, is being enlisted to bring the ROM: Spaceknight comic book property to the big screen. Paramount and Hasbro partnered in November to produce and distribute content based on Hasbro brands, as well as original stories.

Penn adapted Ready Player One for the big screen along with co-writer Ernest Cline, who penned the original novel. He earlier wrote the screenplay for Marvel's The Incredible Hulk and the live-action adaptation for The Avengers, among other superhero tentpoles.

The five-year deal between Hasbro and Paramount will see collaboration on live-action and animated films, with Hasbro’s Allspark Pictures and Allspark Animation working with the Hollywood studio on development and production. Hasbro and Paramount earlier partnered on five Transformers movies, as well as two G.I. Joe films, and the first Transformers spinoff, Bumblebee, set for a December release.

Hasbro also hired Greg Mooradian as president of Allspark Pictures to oversee live-action film and TV production. ROM: Spaceknight was originally an action figure toy created by Parker Brothers before becoming part of a comic book universe that features an extraterrestrial species known as Dire Wraiths.

Penn is repped by UTA.
Old 03-26-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: ROM: Spaceknight (W:Penn) - News,

Loved that Toy!!!
Old 03-26-18, 07:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I've never seen that before in my life. Must be a 70's toy.
Old 03-26-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Unfortunately, Marvel owns everything except ROM himself, including the Dire Wraiths, so I'm not sure where they will go with this. I used to love the comic and it would be awesome if Marvel had this and could include it in the MCU but it's not to be. Same with Micronauts, which is even more messy as to what Marvel owns and what Mego owned/Hasbro owns. Too bad, otherwise Bug would have been in Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man would have involved the Microverse instead of the "Quantum Realm".
Old 03-26-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Late 70's toy that was developed into a surprisingly entertaining Marvel comic.

Still have vivid memories of buying the first issue out of the spinner rack in the convenience store across from the Junior High shortly after the new school year began.
Old 03-26-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I've never seen that before in my life. Must be a 70's toy.
Yep, late 70's. I really need to get one of these for my collection someday, not sure why I don't have one yet, it's not like it's really that expensive to buy.
Old 03-26-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Late 70's toy that was developed into a surprisingly entertaining Marvel comic.
Yeah, it's funny, ROM and Micronauts were basically comic spinoffs of toys, no one expected much, but writer Bill Mantlo really took the ball and ran with both, resulting in surprisingly good comic book series.
Old 03-26-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Poor Bill Mantlo. Loved his comics and it's just sad to think how he ended up.
Old 03-26-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Poor Bill Mantlo. Loved his comics and it's just sad to think how he ended up.
I had no idea. Holy crap, but that's awful. I was a fan of his writing. His work for Marvel was really good.

It would be nice if the studio could license the Marvel side of that property, because that was a really good comic.
Old 03-26-18, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I was a kid when the ROM toy/figure originally came out in the late '70's, and even then I thought it looked like a cheap, sub-par piece of shit. I wouldn't have taken this if you gave it to me for free.

However, the ROM Spaceknight Marvel comic was brilliant! Amazing sci-fi series, with some horror aspects re: the Dire Wraiths, etc. I also liked how firmly entrenched ROM became in the Marvel Universe. Also, I strongly preferred the much more streamlined/sleeker look of ROM in the comic - as opposed to the way the toy looked.

I hope that if a ROM film is released, this will open the door for Marvel to be able to reprint the entire ROM Spaceknight comic series. Many comic fans have wanted this series reprinted, but it has never been (not even in the Essential format) due to some kind of copyright hell that involves Parker Brothers (I think).

Here's an interesting article about the comic:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rom-spacekni...omi-1708849468