Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Instinct (CBS) -- S: Alan Cumming -- Based on James Patterson book -- 3/18/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Instinct (CBS) -- S: Alan Cumming -- Based on James Patterson book -- 3/18/18

ALAN CUMMING AND BOJANA NOVAKOVIC STAR IN THE NEW DRAMA "INSTINCT," ABOUT A COLLEGE PROFESSOR AND FORMER CIA OPERATIVE WHO IS LURED BACK TO HIS OLD LIFE BY AN NYPD DETECTIVE WHO NEEDS HIS HELP TO STOP A SERIAL KILLER, PREMIERING SUNDAY, MARCH 18

Alan Cumming, Bojana Novakovic, Daniel Ings, Naveen Andrews and Sharon Leal Star in the Drama Based on the James Patterson Novel

"Pilot" - Former CIA operative Dr. Dylan Reinhart (Alan Cumming) is lured back to his old life when NYPD detective Lizzie Needham (Bojana Novakovic) needs his help to stop a serial killer, on the series premiere of INSTINCT, Sunday, March 18 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Alan Cumming, Bojana Novakovic, Daniel Ings, Naveen Andrews and Sharon Leal star in the drama based on the James Patterson novel.

Dr. Reinhart is a gifted author and university professor living a quiet life teaching psychopathic behavior to packed classes of adoring students. But when tenacious top NYPD detective Lizzie Needham appeals to him to help her catch a serial murderer who is using Dylan's first book as a tutorial, Dylan is compelled by the case and comes out of retirement. Helping them is Julian Cousins, Dylan's invaluable CIA comrade who rivals Dylan in brilliance and wit, and can get top-secret dirt on anyone, anywhere, anytime. Lizzie's boss, Lt. Jasmine Gooden, is glad to see her best detective finally agree to work with someone on a case, since Lizzie has refused any partner since a tragic event one year ago. As Dylan feels reenergized tapping into his old skill set, his husband, Andy, is concerned that Dylan's breaking their pact about putting away his cloak and dagger for good. Though Dylan and Lizzie initially clash, when it comes to catching killers, they realize they will make an ideal team if they both trust their instincts.

REGULAR CAST:
Alan Cumming (Dr. Dylan Reinhart)
Bojana Novakovic (Det. Lizzie Needham)
Daniel Ings (Andy)
Naveen Andrews (Julian Cousins)
Sharon Leal (Lt. Jasmine Gooden)

GUEST CAST:
Sarita Choudhury (Mayor Myers)
Mark Evans (Det. Tom)
Whoopi Goldberg (Joan Ross)
Andrew Polk (Doug the Medical Examiner)
Dakin Matthews (Judge Brooks)
Daniel London (Dan)
Marcus Ho (Elliot the Clerk)
Casey Cott (Dino Moretti)
Vincenzo Amato (Mr. Moretti)
Michael B. Silver (Det. Harris)
Judith Ivey (Social Worker Sheila)
Gregory Abbey (ADA)
Rayna Starr (Hostess)
Prema Cruz (Hotel Manager)
Aaron Morton (Cop)
Ben Edelman (Edward)
Veladya Chapman (Student 1)
Jose Gamo (Student 2)
Guiesseppe Jones (Court Officer)
Justine Rappaport (Driving Student)
Richard Prioleau (EMT 1)
David Carranza (Medical Investigator)
Lauri Landry (Dr. Eldridge)

WRITTEN BY: Michael Rauch
DIRECTED BY: Marc Webb

13 episode 1st season

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DcuN4vCVaVg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The book this is based on was called "Murder Games" but was re-published recently as "Instinct"

Patterson must have some kind of producing deal with CBS. He also recently narrated and produced the Aaron Hernandez documentary on CBS last month for 48 hours. This was in addition to Zoo that aired for a few summers.
Old 04-09-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts
Re: Instinct (CBS) -- S: Alan Cumming -- Based on James Patterson book -- 3/18/18

I've watched the first three episodes and I'm done. I like Alan Cumming in some things, but this is pretty bad. The writing isn't very good, and neither is the acting. Overall it's just kind of bland. It's trying to follow the formula of shows like Castle and Forever (and many others), with a quirky male supersleuth teamed up with a no-nonsense female detective. But one of the main draws of the aforementioned shows was the 'will they or won't they' tease of romance between the leads, and you don't have that in Instinct. It's a mystery show that's kind of boring, so I don't think it will last.
Old 04-10-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Instinct (CBS) -- S: Alan Cumming -- Based on James Patterson book -- 3/18/18

I am watching but I agree that I would have no reaction if it was cancelled (unlike say the cancellation of Forever, which made me a bit sad).

We already have a show that is close to what Castle was in its prime, and it is called Private Eyes on ION Television.

Of the new hour long Sunday night shows I prefer Deception over this one.
Old 04-10-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I've watched the first three episodes and I'm done. I like Alan Cumming in some things, but this is pretty bad. The writing isn't very good, and neither is the acting. Overall it's just kind of bland. It's trying to follow the formula of shows like Castle and Forever (and many others), with a quirky male supersleuth teamed up with a no-nonsense female detective. But one of the main draws of the aforementioned shows was the 'will they or won't they' tease of romance between the leads, and you don't have that in Instinct. It's a mystery show that's kind of boring, so I don't think it will last.
CBS seems to prefer their leads not having a romantic relationship in these types of procedural mystery shows.
Old 04-10-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I think she's really good and would like to see a good show with her.
Old 06-30-19, 07:21 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

DYLAN AND LIZZIE INVESTIGATE THE MURDER OF A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSWOMAN WHO ATTEMPTED TO PROLONG THE LIFESPAN OF HUMANS, AND A NEW DETECTIVE ARRIVES TO HUNT FOR A POTENTIAL SERIAL KILLER, ON THE SECOND SEASON PREMIERE OF "INSTINCT," SUNDAY, JUNE 30

"Stay Gold" - Dylan and Lizzie investigate the murder of a successful businesswoman who attempted to prolong the lifespan of humans. Also, Dylan and Andy look to continue their adoption search, and Detective Ryan Stock (Travis Van Winkle)
from Nebraska arrives to hunt for a potential serial killer, on the second season premiere of INSTINCT, Sunday, June 30 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
Old 08-19-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Something is messed up with Directv on demand where one episode is listed as 42 minutes but it ends up being 90 minutes with 10 minute cbs all access ads during the commercial breaks.