TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol (ABC) -- Season 16 Thread -- Premieres 3/11/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
American Idol (ABC) -- Season 16 Thread -- Premieres 3/11/18

SEASON PREMIERE

AMERICA'S FAVORITE MUSIC COMPETITION SERIES 'AMERICAN IDOL' RETURNS TO TELEVISION IN A TWO-HOUR PREMIERE, ON ITS NEW HOME ON AMERICA'S NETWORK - ABC

"101 (Auditions)" - The gold standard of all music competition series, "American Idol," will make its highly anticipated return to television as superstar judges Luke Bryan, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie set out on a journey across the nation to discover a new crop of inspiring talent with a touch of Disney magic, as it premieres its first season at its new home on America's network, The ABC Television Network, SUNDAY, MARCH 11 (8:00-10:01 p.m. EDT), streaming and on demand. Emmy(R) Award-winning host and producer Ryan Seacrest, who represents the heart and soul of the show, returns as host of the beloved series to walk with these Idol hopefuls through this adventure toward stardom.

After searching the country for the best of the best talent America has to offer, viewers will be taken on a journey through the stories of talented musicians from far and wide - from garage band rockers to national anthem singers to caretakers - who all have the same passion: a love for music. In the first audition episode, the show will head to New York, Los Angeles and Nashville where aspiring singers will audition for a chance to see if they have what it takes to earn the coveted golden ticket to Hollywood.

"American Idol" is produced by FremantleMedia North America and CORE Media Group's 19 Entertainment. Executive producers include FremantleMedia North America's Trish Kinane and Jennifer Mullin, along with executive producer Phil McIntyre representing CORE Media. FremantleMedia International distributes the series worldwide.

Lionel Richie, Luke Bryan and Katy Perry are the new judges.

Ryan Seacrest is returning as host.

Approximately 18 episodes are scheduled to air.

Looks like it's Sundays and Mondays (4 hours per week at least for the first 3-4 weeks.)

4 hours per week is going to be hard to keep up with. I haven't watched AI since season 11 when Phillip Phillps won and got burned out of The Voice 2 seasons ago. But, the Voice doing 2 cycles per year made it simply too hard to keep up with.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-11-18 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-11-18, 06:46 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: American Idol (ABC) -- Season 16 Thread -- Premieres 3/11/18

I can't believe they couldn't give this a rest for at least 5 years at least!

I like the judges but I don't see how much different this can be from the J-Lo version that ended 2 years ago.

They really should have gotten rid of Seacrest to make it seem more different.

Even tho I enjoy the show and will no doubt watch every episode, I'm secretly hoping this crashes and burns.
Old 03-11-18, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big difference we see so far is that the judges all seem more genuinely interested in helping the contestants grow and succeed. So far it just feels fresh to us.
Old 03-12-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I stayed up until 2am watching the 2 hours. Like I said, I haven't watched Idol since season 11 and to me it did feel different and fresh. I was entertained the entire 2 hours. They did focus a lot on the personal stories.

Lionel, Katy and Luke seem like a good trio and yeah they seem to want contestants to succeed. For the ones they passed on, instead of saying it was awful, they were pretty honest and said something like you would get eaten up in the competition. Or you're not ready vocally and you would get crushed etc. Also, they seem to have dropped the awful singers element. Those were funny in earlier seasons, but I'm actually glad that element was dumped.

Hard to believe Lionel is pushing 70. He looks very vibrant and could pass for his 50's.

Ryan Seacrest didn't seem as prominent, although he did pop up more in the 2nd hour.

I did like that girl Ragu (with the single father) and I also liked the black guy with the broken guitar. The Harry Potter looking guy who brought socks for everyone and sounded like he was going through puberty had a pretty night and day difference in his voice. I don't really like crooners. Personally I think they're boring, so I can't see him going too far.

Tonight is another 2 hour show.
Old 03-12-18, 08:18 PM

After watching the first 2 episodes the biggest change I noticed was that they had so many exceptional singers.

I don't know if they just decided to only highlight the really good ones or if they just had a drought in previous seasons but it seems like 80% of the singers being shown are great singers.

I like that they are emphasizing the fact that not everyone who is a good singer is meant for the show and that even tho some younger singers aren't exactly the best singers they are letting them go through anyway just to grow from the experience.

It seems more genuine and less of a freak show.

The judges have a weird chemistry that somehow works. Lionel is the only one that seems out of place since his music hasn't been relevant for 20 years and I don't think the 15 year olds auditioning know who the hell he is. it's too bad they couldn't have gotten someone more contemporary to represent 'R&B'

Katy Perry is no J-Lo but I can't imagine J-Lo doing some of the things Katy has done interacting with the contestants so far. She's not afraid to embarrass herself. Maybe that's a result of getting caught naked paddle boarding with Orlando Bloom.
Old 03-13-18, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Katy Perry needs this show to revive her career since her last album flopped and she will probably never reach Taylor Swift's popularity and success again.
Old 03-13-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Night 2 was entertaining, although they did show a few bad singers like the one who sang Total Eclipse of the Heart.

I did remember the black guy (Thad Johnson) who returned from season 9. That was great to see him lose all that weight.

I like Katy Perry, but I don't like this new hairstyle that she's sporting. She was way hotter with the shoulder length brown hair.

The dude who had a crush on her (Brett Young) even though he has a girlfriend was alright. Although the way they edited his segment incorporating "Endless Love" made me cringe though. That was cheesy and a little uncomfortable to watch.

I've enjoyed some of the personal stories they're using to sell some of these contestants.

Nice product placement with that Macy's ad right after Gabbi Jones audition. That was a little blatant.
Old 03-13-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Katy Perry, but I don't like this new hairstyle that she's sporting. She was way hotter with the shoulder length brown hair.
Maybe if she went back her records would sell again.
Old 03-14-18, 11:31 AM

now i have heard it all. the ultimate outcome of the 'me too' movement coming full circle...

the kid Katy Perry kissed on the lips says he did not want her to do that and would have said no if she had asked first.

he is conservative and wanted his first kiss to be with someone special.

Good Lord!

has it really come to this? that kid should feel lucky she even wanted to have contact with his homely looking ass!

I don't care whether Katy Perry has covered up her cleavage and has a man's haircut now. She is still incredibly beautiful and has a bod built for sin.

what has the world come to when horny 19 year old geeks feel regret about a kiss from a beautiful woman? jesus dude, its not like she used tongue!
Old 03-14-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

If that same thing happened with a male judge and a female contestant there would be huge outrage. I agree with what you're saying, but according to the rules of today's society, there's no reason Katy should get a pass.
Old 03-14-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix
now i have heard it all. the ultimate outcome of the 'me too' movement coming full circle...

the kid Katy Perry kissed on the lips says he did not want her to do that and would have said no if she had asked first.

Good Lord!

has it really come to this? that kid should feel lucky she even wanted to have contact with his homely looking ass!

I don't care whether Katy Perry has covered up her cleavage and has a man's haircut now. She is still incredibly beautiful and has a bod built for sin.

what has the world come to when horny 19 year old geeks feel regret about a kiss from a beautiful woman? jesus dude, its not like she used tongue!

You might like this

Old 03-15-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix

Good Lord!

Lol, now the kid is saying he is not complaining about the kiss and it wasn't a true first kiss. The Me too movement is eventually going to collapse by making mountains out of mole hills. We still have free will. The guy had the freedom to walk out instead of accepting the kiss.
Old 03-15-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

If you watch, he thought he was kissing her on the cheek again. She turned her head at the last second to do a very quick peck on the lips. It was all pretty innocuous.

But imagine if Lionel Richie did it to a 16-year old girl?
Old 03-15-18, 04:02 PM

Everyone uses the reverse gender argument with this topic but I don't see how that works as a defense...

the difference is if you asked most guys whether they wanted a kiss from Katy Perry they would say yes

if you asked most girls whether they wanted a kiss from 70 year old Lionel Richie they would say no

you can't just declare what good for men is good for women in these situations. men and women are so completely different when it comes to sexuality the rules HAVE to be different for each gender

that's why you don't see a 'me too' movement for men against women. The only men coming forward with complaints are ones who have been harassed by other men.
Old 03-15-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I wasn't using it as a defense. Just an example. Chill.
Old 03-19-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I really liked 2 performers from last night's 2 hour show.

I liked Amelia Hammer Harris. That's kind of neat that she's the daughter of singer/songwriter Jack Hammer.

For those who don't know Jack Hammer, here's an Obit with his background. He wrote Great Balls of Fire.

https://www.sfgate.com/music/article...of-7246843.php

I also liked Shannon O'Hara, who played the piano and sang the Adele song "When we were young"

I'm ready for Hollywood Week. These 2 hour shows are getting a little long winded.
Old 03-21-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

The two sisters who sang. The red head initially was only there to support her sister but sang for the judges when they asked her too.

I really disliked the way they set that up for us to wonder if they took both of them.

It was a pretty low thing to ask the red haired sisster to sing and then heap a bunch of praise on her while making it seem as if they might not keep the one who was actually there to sing.

There was just something cruel about the whole thing as it went down.
Dark hair sister was clearly not happy about what was happening.

If they sent Red and not dark hair through I might have been out as it would have left a really bad taste.
Old 03-21-18, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
The two sisters who sang. The red head initially was only there to support her sister but sang for the judges when they asked her too.

I really disliked the way they set that up for us to wonder if they took both of them.

It was a pretty low thing to ask the red haired sisster to sing and then heap a bunch of praise on her while making it seem as if they might not keep the one who was actually there to sing.

There was just something cruel about the whole thing as it went down.
Dark hair sister was clearly not happy about what was happening.

If they sent Red and not dark hair through I might have been out as it would have left a really bad taste.
Im sure the whole thing was set up, with the sisters cooperation, to create a dramatic moment.
Old 03-22-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

You’re saying the show is fixed?
Old 03-22-18, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by covenant
Im sure the whole thing was set up, with the sisters cooperation, to create a dramatic moment.
Im pretty sure IDOL has had this sibling or partner situation before and put one in over the other.

I know it's happened on So You Think You Can Dance several times.

Why would that be a deal breaker for you? Would you rather someone without talent get a free pass just because their partner/sibling is talented and they are not?

That would be too much like the real world...
Old 03-22-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
You’re saying the show is fixed?
Anything is possible in the audition rounds. A lot of sob story contestants get through the auditions simply because it makes for compelling television.

Last edited by covenant; 03-22-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

No one truly wants to see an endless line of singing auditions that isn't being paid like the Idol judges. The show is boring enough as it is. Thus, the nonstop "backstories" and heavily edited and occasionally semi-staged events that happen in episodes prior to the live shows. Should be no surprise.
Old 03-22-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Just watched Monday's episode. I also did not like the way that played out with the sisters.

Granted, I liked the Red head sister better, but that would have been so messed up if they chose Payton over Taryn.

I know the show is about selling people who they think is marketable as a music star, but I don't think the judges should have asked Payton to perform. She wasn't there to do it. She said she was there to support her sister. But, I guess she got caught up in the moment and it was hard for her to decline.

Amalia (the girl with the big afro) was probably the most unique person of the night. She has a very Macy Gray type quality.

I at Lionel keeping a picture of himself with the afro on his phone.

The last guy was a typical sob story, but he seems like a genuinely good guy and the fact that he adopted his sisters kid when she couldn't take care of him was noble. He has a decent voice.
Old 03-22-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
No one truly wants to see an endless line of singing auditions that isn't being paid like the Idol judges. The show is boring enough as it is. Thus, the nonstop "backstories" and heavily edited and occasionally semi-staged events that happen in episodes prior to the live shows. Should be no surprise.
If we're talking about good singers, watching an "endless" line of auditions is exactly what I'd love to see. I don't care about all the stories at this point as many of the singers won't even make it through Hollywood week. I'm not surprised at what we get, but if we're talking about wants... absolutely, bring on more singing. Since they won't do that, I use my remote to do it. At least the producers aren't sending through a bunch of bad singers just to rip them apart on national TV.
Old 03-22-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
If we're talking about good singers, watching an "endless" line of auditions is exactly what I'd love to see. I don't care about all the stories at this point as many of the singers won't even make it through Hollywood week. I'm not surprised at what we get, but if we're talking about wants... absolutely, bring on more singing. Since they won't do that, I use my remote to do it. At least the producers aren't sending through a bunch of bad singers just to rip them apart on national TV.
You’re right, I spoke too broadly. Most people don’t really want that. Now if you ask them they will say they want 10 hours of step up, sing, and Next! But I seriously doubt most would actually sit through it. Thus all the added bling that has nothing to do with singing, and why the contestant “stories” are as big a factor in choices as actual talent. Real auditioning is a boring and even mildly depressing process...aka bad for network TV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.