Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

9 to 5 sequel/reboot in development

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 11:58 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: When you look at the 1980 comedy 9 to 5 and ask what has changed from the male chauvinist premise of that film, the #MeToo movement proves the answer is, absolutely nothing. What better timing for a new version of that hit, especially when original stars Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are eager for a reprise?

2oth Century Fox is in the early stages of a new version that would focus on three young women dealing with sexism and chauvinism in the workplace, who turn to the original trio for help in navigating and getting even with the course male higher-ups. Sources said that there are early talks for creator Pat Resnick to team with a young writer — actress-scribe Rashida Jones is the one they want — to find a handle that can make the concept relevant to a young comedy audience. The film will be produced by Shawn Levy, Resnick and Jonathan Baruch of Rain Management Group.

The actresses starred with Dabney Coleman, who played a sexist, narcissistic, lying bigot boss. The three play secretaries who watch themselves passed over for promotions, and their ideas stolen in a culture of rampant sexual harassment. After the boss blackmails one of the women (played by Parton) into sleeping with him, she instead shows up with her cohorts. They kidnap the boss and keep him tied up as the uncover his embezzlement scheme and a way to cash in.

The film was a huge hit, fueled by Parton’s theme song that was one of the biggest hit records of the decade. 9 to 5 was turned into a 2009 Broadway musical.

Jones is repped by UTA, Resnick with Summit and Rain Management Group.
Old 02-28-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: 9 to 5 sequel/reboot in development

The only thing I remember about this is the song.
Old 02-28-18, 12:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m down for this as long as it’s not an adaptation of the musical. I love the original.
Old 02-28-18, 03:28 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The article is right about watching the film today. The styles and haircuts are dated as hell, but the subject, all the petty harassments, the chauvinism, isn’t dated at all. I was shown the film in 1997 in a business school class! Perfect film to show a young adult. It’s a great script.
Old 02-28-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

All-black version:

Violet - Viola Davis
Judy - Kerry Washington
Doralee - Beyonce
Mr. Hart - Steve Harvey