Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paddleton (2019, D: Lehmann) S: Mark Duplass, Ray Romano -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 12:35 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Jay and Mark Duplass, the veteran American independent filmmakers behind “The One I Love,” “The Overnight,” “Creep,” and “Jeff Who Lives At Home,” are entering into a new agreement with Netflix that gives the streaming giant worldwide rights to their next four upcoming films.

The first film under the deal is an untitled Duplass Brothers-Ray Romano project, which will be released later this year. The pic follows a bittersweet bromance and centers on themes of friendship, mortality, and made-up sports. The film, which stars Mark Duplass and Romano, recently wrapped production.

The untitled project marks Alex Lehmann’s second outing as director — he also helmed Duplass Brothers’ “Blue Jay” — and he co-wrote the script with Mark Duplass. Mel Eslyn, president of Duplass Brothers Productions, is producing with Alana Carithers and Sean Bradley.

“Turns out when you make films for Netflix, millions of people all over the world watch them. This is not a terrible thing for an independent filmmaker,” the Duplass brothers said. “As Netflix continues to grow and develop new ways to reach viewers, we couldn’t be more thrilled to grow our partnership.”

Netflix’s relationship with the Duplasses goes back to their first feature film, “The Puffy Chair,” which Netflix’s Red Envelope Entertainment co-distributed in 2005 as its first feature film acquisition.

“Jay and Mark are the most enterprising filmmakers in the business,” said Ian Bricke, director of independent films at Netflix. “They have embraced Netflix as much as our subscribers have embraced their films. Having worked with Mark and Jay for over a decade, we have huge admiration for their creative passion and filmmaking smarts. We are thrilled for this next chapter of our relationship.”

In 2015, Netflix signed an SVOD deal with the brothers that included “Blue Jay,” “Take Me,” “Creep 2,” and the upcoming “Duck Butter” and “Outside In.” The previous pact gave Netflix exclusive worldwide SVOD distribution rights following a short theatrical release window.

The Duplass brothers also executive produced Netflix’s upcoming documentary series “Wild Wild Country.” The series premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and will be available on the service March 16.

The deal was negotiated by ICM Partners on behalf of Duplass Brothers, Inc.

Romano is repped by ICM; manager Rory Rosegarten, and attorney Del Shaw Moonves.
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/dupl...rk-1202706194/
Old 02-21-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Paddleton (2019, D: Lehmann) S: Mark Duplass, Ray Romano -- Netflix

Hmmm. I really like Romano in The Big Sick, I really hate most everything the Duplass brothers have their hands on behind the camera. Toss up.
Old 02-21-18, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised by Romano in The Big Sick. I'll give this a shot.
Old 03-30-18, 12:53 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Wild Wild Country is amazing...
Old 01-14-19, 11:10 AM

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rs9YpUktrWw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An unlikely friendship between two misfit neighbors becomes an unexpectedly emotional journey when one of them is diagnosed with terminal cancer.

February 22, 2019.

Last edited by dex14; 02-19-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 08:33 AM

Re: Paddleton (2019, D: Lehmann) S: Mark Duplass, Ray Romano -- Netflix

Drops on Friday. Currently at 100% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paddleton
Old 10-12-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Paddleton (2019, D: Lehmann) S: Mark Duplass, Ray Romano -- Netflix

Not the most pleasant material but I liked it and it has aome funny moments.

Ray Romano could do drama full time if he wanted too and maybe this might be crazy but he gave an Oscar worthy performance in this movie.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 10-12-19 at 06:52 PM.