Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Nickelodeon)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-01-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Get a first look at the new 'Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' character art
By TRACY BROWN - LaTimes.com
FEB 01, 2018 | 11:30 AM

Character art for the upcoming "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" reboot has been revealed and Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo are sporting more than just brand-new looks.

Nickelodeon's "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" is a new animated show that reimagines the fan-favorite characters created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. The series will follow the Turtles as they discover new powers and a new mystical world that exists beneath the streets of New York.

Joining the brothers in their adventures are some familiar faces, including friend and trusted ally April O'Neil as well as their sensei, Master Splinter.

As revealed in the new character art, the rebooted Turtles each sport very distinctive looks. When Eastman and Laird's original characters made their comic-book debut in 1984, the brothers had identical designs except for their weapon of choice. The subsequent animated series and toy line introduced the quartet's now familiar color coding.

The Turtles have, of course, undergone some makeovers throughout the years on various shows and movies. But in "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," the brothers have been completely redesigned, with each Turtle based on a distinct species and sporting a new signature weapon.

The largest, Raphael, is a snapping turtle who has traded in his sais for a pair of tonfas. And in the new "Ninja Turtles" cartoon he will be the team leader. Omar Miller will be voicing Raphael.

Leonardo, who has often been depicted as the eldest brother and leader, is a red-eared slider. Now the self-described "coolest" brother, Leonardo is armed with a single ōdachi sword instead of his dual katanas. He will be voiced by Ben Schwartz.

Still the tech genius of the bunch is Donatello, who will be voiced by Josh Brener. The new Donatello is a soft-shell turtle that carries a tech-bo staff, skilled in both martial arts and computer science.

Youngest brother Michelangelo is now a box turtle who will face foes with a kusari-fundo (a combat chain with a weight at the end) rather than his familiar nunchucks. He will be voiced by Brandon Mychal Smith.

Both April and Splinter's looks have also been updated. April, described as a street-smart New York native, will be voiced by Kat Graham, while Splinter will be voiced by Eric Bauza.

Also joining the show is John Cena, who will voice the villain Baron Draxum, a mutant alchemist warrior who aims to turn all of humanity into mutants.

Check out the new character designs in the gallery above.

The 26-episode "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" is scheduled to debut later this year.

At least April is the right ethnicity now.... Not sure about replacing Raph's sai with tonfa or Michaelangelo's nunchuks with the weighted chain?
Old 02-01-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Nickelodeon)

Yeah, my first reaction is super negative, but I'll see what my kids think. Why switch up Raph as the leader? I'd rail more about the tonfas but all their technological weapons look kinda dumb.

No problem with the April ethnicity. Also Splinter looks like a hamster.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-01-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Looks like it’s been Teen Titans Go-ified. Yuck.
Old 02-02-18, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But what about Casey Joneszzzz ????
Old 02-02-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

The turtles get reinvented evrry 5-10 Years. Expect a retro return to the 80s sometimrcdown thr line.
Old 02-02-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo

At least April is the right ethnicity now....
I was curious what you meant, but looking back at the comics it's tough to tell if she was always intended to be a particular race/color.

https://doknowbutchie.wordpress.com/...t-1-1984-1987/
Old 02-02-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

They will do this for a few years (maybe) and then like another here said the return of the old turtles (to some degree).

Splinter..............no idea what they were thinking there.
Old 02-02-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I was curious what you meant, but looking back at the comics it's tough to tell if she was always intended to be a particular race/color.

https://doknowbutchie.wordpress.com/...t-1-1984-1987/
It depends on whether Eastman or Laird was drawing her...
Old 02-02-18, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Why do three of the four Turtles look really tiny other than Raphael who's jacked by comparison? Not a fan of these designs at all and I've liked all the previous animated versions including the Nickelodeon CG versions (not my favorite show but the characters looked alright for that type of animation style). These just look far too kiddie and yeah I get that's the demographic but even so.
Old 02-03-18, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
No problem with the April ethnicity. Also Splinter looks like a hamster.
At least he's not a gerbil.
Old 02-03-18, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The turtles get reinvented evrry 5-10 Years. Expect a retro return to the 80s sometimrcdown thr line.

I would watch that in a heartbeat! This mess, I will pass. It looks like Justice League, which was just recently on Cartoon Network. By that, I mean it looks like it's more for the preschool crowd. I know it's going to be on Nick, but does it have to look like it was drawn for kids in the 3-5 range?
Old 06-26-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The opening:

Animation looks fluid but I'm sure the budget is upped for the opening. My son will still love it, I'm sure. Not sure how I feel about the turtles being more superhero than ninja, but oh well.

Also April is almost nonexistent in the opening (I think she's in the turtle vehicle briefly).
Old 06-26-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

This thread:

"Why doesn't this thing look like my thing?!?!?"

Slick opening
Old 06-26-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow another abomination of epic proportions when it comes to character designs as bad as ThunderCats.

Love the TMNT but this is a definite "not gonna watch this shit" from everyone in my household.