Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Resident (FOX) -- S: VanCamp, Czuchry, Greenwood -- Premieres 1/21/18

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Resident (FOX) -- S: VanCamp, Czuchry, Greenwood -- Premieres 1/21/18

MEET THE DOCTORS AND STAFF OF CHASTAIN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL ON THE ALL-NEW, SPECIAL SERIES PREMIERE OF "THE RESIDENT" SUNDAY, JANUARY 21, ON FOX

On his first day as an intern, an idealistic DR. DEVON PRAVESH (Manish Dayal) faces the harsh realities of medical care, as third year resident DR. CONRAD HAWKINS (Matt Czuchry) takes him under his wing and teaches his unconventional ways for treating patients. Meanwhile, Conrad goes head-to-head with Chief of Surgery DR. SOLOMON BELL (Bruce Greenwood), who uses power and intimidation to cover up his mistakes in the all-new "Pilot" special series premiere episode of THE RESIDENT airing Sunday, Jan. 21 (10:00-11:20 PM ET/7:00-8:20 PM PT) on FOX. (RES-101) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Matt Czuchry as Conrad Hawkins, Bruce Greenwood as Dr. Solomon Bell, Emily VanCamp as Nicolette, Manish Dayal as Devon Pravesh, Shaunette Renée Wilson as Mina Okafor, Merrin Dungey as Claire Thorpe, Melina Kanakaredes as Dr. Lane Hunter, Moran Atias as Renata Morali

Guest Cast: Tasie Lawrence as Priya, Violett Beane as Lily Ahn, Tasso Feldman as Irving Levi, Michael Patrick Lane as Ross Evans, Elizabeth Faith Ludlow as Cara Ramirez, Alexa Mansour as Chloe Goddard, Coley Campany as Chloe's Mother, Danny Chung as Edmund Xu, Anna Harriette Pittman as Chloe's Sister, Tom Nowicki as Lyle Hancock, Jessica Miesel as Nurse Jessica, Karen Beyer as Mrs. Foster, Vince Foster as Paul Chu, Tequilla Whitfield as Cheryl Poole

80 minute premiere tonight after the NFC Championship game post-game show. It's supposed to air at approximately 10pm ET/7pm PT, so you may need to pad your recording.

Another new episode airs tomorrow night in it's regular timeslot.

Considering this is airing very late for the East coast, it's probably not going to get much sampling here on Sunday night. I don't know if there is much or any interest in this for the demographic of this forum. It's another medical drama, but it has a decent cast.

This is FOX's big midseason show, hence that's why it's airing after football.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UGXn-ouQBiw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-21-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: The Resident (FOX) -- S: VanCamp, Czuchry, Greenwood -- Premieres 1/21/18

I think I’ll check out the first few. Been a fan of Van Camp since Everwood and Campbell since Nowhere Man!
Old 01-22-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Premier was okay. It had a few good moments, but was very disjointed. I get they are going for an edgier tone, but I fear it comes off as too dark. There were some lines and events to instill hope, but some actions that were ridiculiously questionable if not outright immoral.

I get wanting to show the challenges of medicine and running a hospital vs budgets and boards, but there are better ways to do that with a different messsage. Although cancelled, The Night Shift was a great example, which had great tone from the start.

I like the young doctor, but I think they need to soften him up more. I wish the ending to the pilot had been more ambiguous on his actions, although you can see why.

The new intern seems okay, but a bit lackluster. Seems like there is more story to tell for sure on why and how he became a doctor.

EVC’s character seems, so far to be the moral compass. By contrast, I do not like Greenwood’s character at all. I suppose that’s the point, but very hard to remotely relate or sympathize.

I think the pilot would have worked better if the beginning had either been the Dr biking in or the new intern waking up in his apartment. The middle or end of the episode should have been the accident. I think it would have been more striking if he’d have been painted as this saint/McDreamy* the entire episode only to see his true colors.

*Nice Grey’s dig. I definitely laughed!

I think the wife is out, but I’ll watch a few more or the first season to see how things develop.
Old 01-23-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

I kind of liked the first episode. Kind of dark. The opening surgery scene where Greenwood's character Fucked up and killed that guy and asked the entire surgical team to cover it up was pretty twisted.

I how he couldn't use that new tech for the surgery, so faked making himself look good using Okafor. He's a pretty arrogant piece of crap.

I felt like Devon was the lead character. The episode was really through his eyes on his first day on the job. Seems like Conrad is acting as both his nemesis and mentor. As far as being another medical show in a pretty crowded genre, I can see how some may like this and some may not resonate with it or may not have time for it. There's just so many shows fighting for viewers time, ratings and extended attention.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-23-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
I kind of liked the first episode. Kind of dark. The opening surgery scene where Greenwood's character Fucked up and killed that guy and asked the entire surgical team to cover it up was pretty twisted.

I how he couldn't use that new tech for the surgery, so faked making himself look good using Okafor. He's a pretty arrogant piece of crap.

I felt like Devon was the lead character. The episode was really through his eyes on his first day on the job. Seems like Conrad is acting as both his nemesis and mentor. As far as being another medical show in a pretty crowded genre, I can see how some may like this and some may not resonate with it or may not have time for it. There's just so many shows fighting for viewers time, ratings and extended attention.
I guess the only question about this point (unless I missed something) was why Conrad is able to talk down the the Chief of Surgery at a hospital where his likeness is plastered everywhere and not get in trouble for it.
Old 01-23-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

I did at the scene where Bell was putting in fake Yelp ratings about him.

I supposed we don't know right now why Conrad is the renegade doctor and can talk shit about Bell without getting into trouble.

One of the medical consultants of this show is being investigated for sexual harassment

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/zach...ky-1202670432/
Old 01-23-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched the first episode yesterday and enjoyed it, but I was a little confused. Emily VanCamp's character is a nurse and not a doctor right? I was confused since she was wearing a white lap coat too.
Old 01-23-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I watched the first episode yesterday and enjoyed it, but I was a little confused. Emily VanCamp's character is a nurse and not a doctor right? I was confused since she was wearing a white lap coat too.
Yes she's a nurse
Old 01-23-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I guess the only question about this point (unless I missed something) was why Conrad is able to talk down the the Chief of Surgery at a hospital where his likeness is plastered everywhere and not get in trouble for it.
I would have guessed Conrad was his son or step-son but then the doctor from Africa did the same thing so I am confused. I thought the show was pretty good and different from the other medical shows. The ratings have been mediocre. They really should have paired it with 911 and not run it against the bachelor.
Old 01-25-18, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thought episode 2 was much better than episode 1. They’re still working out the tone, but it came off much better. Still some shady stuff, but I wasn’t aghast at the actions as much.

Still don’t like Greenwood’s character. I hate that I hate him.

Nice to see they continued over patients across episodes.
Old 01-28-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm enjoying this so far and I'll continue watching, but I think Devon is the worst part of the show. He's pretty bland and I'm not a fan of the actor portraying him. It still bothers me that Emily Vancamp is wearing a labcoat. I know they said her character is pursuing a Doctorate of Nursing, but I thought only Doctors wore labcoats....
Old 04-02-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is anybody still watching this? It has turned out to be an interesting and well done show. It’s very much an ensemble cast, but the characters are starting to have time to get fleshed out more.

The main doctor is slimes, the cancer. Doctor is shady AF though! Looks like murder and a frame job too boot!

A few things I really like are:
1) they have guest patients, but they also bring back patients in future episodes. It really helps build the world of the hospital and give character to the setting.

2) there are continuing plots across episodes (such as the patients above), but there are also repercussions to the actions. That’s one thing House did NOT do that drove me crazy and why we dropped it. Despite everything, each season just hit the reset button.

Anyway, I think the show is on break for a few weeks before finishing out the season.
Old 05-07-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm happy to report that Fox has renewed this for season 2:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-resi...ox-1202383893/

Hopefully, they schedule it after 9-1-1 next season.
Old 05-17-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished the season tonight and this is definitely my favorite new series of the 2017-2018 television season and probably one of my top five favorite series of the 2017-2018 season.
Old 05-24-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished the season. The show and characters came a long way in a short 13 episodes! The cast and crew did a lot more with a lot less than other shows have had.

If it had been cancelled, it definitely would have been a pretty good finale. As it is, some good setup for a second season.

I really liked the new doctor the first 10-15 minutes when he was introduced, but after that he went too far with his god complex. Maybe they will pull that back in for season 2.
Old 10-16-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was funny to see them diagnose a case of Auto-brewery Syndrome since Grey's Anatomy just had a patient with the same condition 2 weeks back. It sounded familiar when they thought he had been drinking, but was actually triggered by the food he ate.
Old 01-17-23, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season 6 finale tonight. Possibly the series finale.

It seems like the season just started. It's the shortest season yet. Previous seasons always ended in April or May. Renewal came down to the wire last season and Fox didn't even order a full season. Fox doesn't own the show so it may be on the chopping block come May.

This still seems like a relatively young show, though I guess if it gets a season 7 it will be beyond that. It's not as good as the first few seasons, but I would still like to see this continue.
Old 04-06-23, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No shocker, officially canceled: https://tvline.com/2023/04/06/the-re...-season-7-fox/
Old 04-07-23, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow - 18 total posts for the entire series. I’m not sure we made it through season 2 tbh. Didn’t like the introduction of some of the new characters and plot was meh.

Eventually heard what happened to EVC’s character so that was a downer too.

Did they at least wrap up big storylines or end on a cliffhanger?
Old 04-07-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The season finale written as a potential series finale, so no major cliffhangers. Most stuff was wrapped up. Conrad finally got together with Billy. Dr. Bell was still dealing with his MS so that would have been dealt with more in another season.
Old 04-07-23, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think I finished season 2, but I really liked season 1. I can always go back and watch the other seasons.