Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Gifted (S1E12/13) -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "eXtraction/X-roads" -- 1/15/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Gifted (S1E12/13) -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "eXtraction/X-roads" -- 1/15/18

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

THE MUTANTS MUST STICK TOGETHER AS THEY FIGHT FOR THEIR LIVES ON THE ALL-NEW, SPECIAL TWO-HOUR SEASON FINALE OF "THE GIFTED" MONDAY, JANUARY 15, ON FOX

Garret Dillahunt ("The Mindy Project") and Skyler Samuels ("Scream Queens") Guest-Star

Dr. Campbell attends an anti-mutant summit, attempting to take the Hound program national, and some of the team at Mutant HQ goes on a dangerous mission to stop his efforts. Polaris learns more about her past and makes a crucial decision that could have impactful consequences. Meanwhile, the Mutant HQ comes under attack and, with everything to lose, relationships are put to the test and alliances shift in the all-new ""eXtraction/X-roads" special, two-hour season finale episode of THE GIFTED airing Monday, Jan. 15 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GIF-112/13) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Stephen Moyer as Reed Strucker; Amy Acker as Caitlin Strucker; Sean Teale as Eclipse/Marcos Diaz; Jamie Chung as Blink/Clarice Fong aka Clarice Ferguson; Coby Bell as Jace Turner; Emma Dumont as Polaris/Lorna Dane; Blair Redford as Thunderbird/John Proudstar; Natalie Alyn Lind as Lauren Strucker; Percy Hynes White as Andy Strucker

Guest Cast: Garret Dillahunt as Dr. Roderick Campbell; Andrew Benator as Campbell's Aide; Skyler Samuels as Esmé; Elliot Grey as Director Wolcott; Jeff Daniel Phillips as Fade; Hayley Lovitt as Sage; David Norona as Senator Matthew Montez; Alex Collins as Jack Campbell; Sharon Gless as Ellen; Kurt Yue as Trask Employee; Cristian Gonzalez as Insurance Agent; Charles Green as Political Strategist; Angela Oh as Chief of Staff; Andrew Masset as Franklin Bennett; Duke Jackson as SS Agent #1; Jermaine Rivers as Shatter; Charles Nix as Skyler; Jessica Goei as Naya; Renes Rivera as Mark; Dinarte De Freitas as Pedro; Erinn Ruth as Evangeline; Vishesh Chachra as Agent Novak; Matthew Cornwell as Tech

2 episodes back to back tonight.

This was renewed for a 2nd season
Old 01-15-18, 02:04 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: The Gifted (S1E12/13) -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "eXtraction/X-roads" -- 1/15/18

Looking forward to it.
Old 01-15-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: The Gifted (S1E12/13) -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "eXtraction/X-roads" -- 1/15/18

Finally caught up, and it's been a fantastic season. The Esme thing was well telegraphed (especially to comic readers) and yet still surprising and gave a new direction to the show just a few episodes ago. They actually do a really good job of setting up the racist/anti mutant backdrop that is at the core of the X-men, especially relevant in today's climate.
Old 01-16-18, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I know nothing of the comics, but really enjoyed this show and thought where they wound up is pretty great as it changes the entire dynamic of the show. Pretty obvious who Lornas dad is, I was half expecting him to show up. This and Legion are the only super hero shows for me anymore. I grew really tired of the others.
Old 01-16-18, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Predictable but still fantastic. I felt like the digging through the vault plan was pretty dumb but that's pretty much what we just saw in Star Wars and they got away, so why not? I was most surprised that cyber girl turned.
Old 01-16-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

That was a pretty cool sequence when Lorna took down that plane.

Guess that's the end of Dr. Campbell.

Pretty solid season finale. Glad it got renewed because that would have been a very unsatisfying ending, especially with the Mutant group splitting apart along with Andy joining them.

So that "cameo" from the Evangeline Whedon character....does that sort of tie this into the actual X-Men universe? I've never heard of her and had to read up on her to see who she was. She was never part of the X-Men movie universe.
Old 01-16-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
That was a pretty cool sequence when Lorna took down that plane.

Guess that's the end of Dr. Campbell.

Pretty solid season finale. Glad it got renewed because that would have been a very unsatisfying ending, especially with the Mutant group splitting apart along with Andy joining them.

So that "cameo" from the Evangeline Whedon character....does that sort of tie this into the actual X-Men universe? I've never heard of her and had to read up on her to see who she was. She was never part of the X-Men movie universe.
The actual X-men universe as far as the movies go? I mean, she's a rather obscure character from the comics, so she does have tie ins to the X-men, but it's already pretty established on the show that we have the X-men, the Brotherhood, the Hellfire Club, Magneto (even if they don't name him), the White Queen, Fenris, Jack Kirby, etc. But yeah, no direct ties to the movies, and I think it was said they won't, even though they heavily hint at stuff like the original Sentinel program.

Lorna also really reminded me of Malice, but while Esme and the Cuckoos are no doubt manipulating them, I don't think they'll have it to where they were subtly brainwashing them. I like that they mentioned that being bipolar doesn't cause someone to go on an assassination attempt. I also liked that when it was brought up that this all started with the Fenris kids coming to the hideout, the mom rightly mentioned that the Hounds were coming no matter what... though as usual it was the Strucker family that screwed up and led them right to the hideout anyway, they just didn't know it.

I did kind of feel like the whiney Fenris kid, Polaris, and the Cuckoos, had the right idea. I understand the no killing code for heroes but the dad basically let those conjoined mutants walk up to the building without pegging them, which is crazy. And they were always running away, I mean Eclipse basically wanted to run away again.

That was kind of a gratuitous scene with Blink (and Polaris), but I'll allow it.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-16-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So glad this renewed. Best comic show on TV until Legion comes back. I can't believe we set these aside and chose to keep up on shit like Supergirl and Arrow. Not next season!

So we have Magneto's daughter in The Gifted and Xavier's son in Legion. Good stuff.
Old 01-28-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I was surprised we didn't get any distant Summers' relative on this season. I don't think we are ever getting Scott or even Alex, but there are others...The FX on this series showing mutant powers were pretty inventive for television.

They set up the brother leaving the family for the other side a little too much.
Old 01-28-18, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They set up the brother leaving the family for the other side a little too much.
I'm sure there's a word for it, but from the beginning he was nervous and impulsive, as if he's under extreme stress 24/7. His leaving was inevitable. I'm amazed anybody could stand being around him for more than 5 minutes, that kind of emotional energy is incredibly draining to be around.
Old 01-28-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
I'm sure there's a word for it, but from the beginning he was nervous and impulsive, as if he's under extreme stress 24/7. His leaving was inevitable. I'm amazed anybody could stand being around him for more than 5 minutes, that kind of emotional energy is incredibly draining to be around.
Lorna was just as bad.
Old 01-28-18, 03:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Just finished The Gifted. Should I bother with Legion?
Old 01-28-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Should you bother? It is ten times the show Gifted is.
Old 01-29-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Legion was the best show of the past year, better than anything even on premium cable.
Old 01-29-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely. Totally different shows despite both being tied to the X-Men universe.

It takes a few episodes of Legion till you really know all the characters and are fully able to understand the plot, so don't give up if you find the first couple episodes totally confusing.
Old 03-18-18, 05:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally got round to watching the finale

Overall the series wasn't bad. a bit too much focus on the morals side of things. don't like the way how they fabricate a story to factor out all of the major players in the mutant universe

the show is well cast and the action and FX are decent so it has real potential
Old 07-21-18, 06:43 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts