Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Bowie: The Last Five Years -- HBO documentary -- 1/8/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 05:42 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
David Bowie: The Last Five Years -- HBO documentary -- 1/8/17

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OwuuDpwPYxo" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the last years of his life, David Bowie ended nearly a decade of silence to engage in an extraordinary burst of activity, producing two groundbreaking albums and a musical. David Bowie: The Last Five Years explores this unexpected end to a remarkable career.

On the 2003-2004 “Reality” tour, David Bowie had a frightening brush with mortality, suffering a heart attack during what was to be his final full concert. He then disappeared from public view, only re-emerging in the last five years of his life to make some of the most important music of his career. Made with remarkable access, Francis Whately’s documentary is a revelatory follow-up to his acclaimed 2013 documentary David Bowie: Five Years, which chronicled Bowie’s golden ‘70s and early-‘80s period.

While illuminating iconic moments of his extraordinary and prolific career, David Bowie: The Last Five Years focuses on three major projects: the albums The Next Day and the jazz-infused Blackstar (released on Bowie’s 69th birthday, two days before his death in 2016), and the musical Lazarus, which was inspired by the character he played in the 1976 film The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Dispelling the simplistic view that his career was simply predicated on change, the film includes revealing interviews with many of Bowie’s closest creative collaborators, including: Tony Visconti, Bowie’s long-time producer; musicians who contributed to The Next Day and Blackstar; Jonathan Barnbrook, the graphic designer of both albums; Robert Fox, producer of Lazarus, along with cast members from the show, providing a unique behind-the-scenes look at Bowie’s creative process; and Johan Renck, director of Bowie’s final music video, “Lazarus,” which was widely discussed as foreshadowing his death.

The documentary also features excerpts from many of Bowie’s biggest hits, including “Fame,” “Rebel Rebel,” “‘Heroes’” and “Space Oddity,” as well as songs from his last two albums, juxtaposing footage from the music videos “The Stars (Are Out Tonight),” “Blackstar” and “Lazarus” with studio performances by the musicians on the albums.

On February 12, 2017, David Bowie posthumously swept the 2017 Grammy Awards with five wins for Blackstar, including: Best Rock Performance, Best Alternative Music Album, Best Recording Package, Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical and Best Rock Song.

HBO Documentary Films presents David Bowie: The Last Five Years; a BBC Films Production; directed and produced by Francis Whately; executive producer, Phil Dolling; film editor, Ged Murphy.
Old 01-08-18, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: David Bowie: The Last Five Years -- HBO documentary -- 1/8/17

I will definitely be checking this out.
Old 01-09-18, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

This was pretty good. I appreciated that they didn't turn it into a gossipy piece about his personal life during this period. It was really moving hearing the isolated vocal track from Lazerus , and hearing that he found out his cancer was terminal the same week they shot the video for that song. Just adds more layers to that piece.
Old 01-09-18, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been waiting for a year for them to broadcast this. It's a great companion piece to the Five Years documentary.

I fell in love with Bowie in a way I hadn't before starting with The Next Day. And Blackstar is one of the greatest ALBUMS I've ever heard. Truly building from track to track, just perfect. It has been in serious rotation for me the full two years since it was released.

I can't believe it's already been two years since he passed.