Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Four: Battle for Stardom (FOX) -- singing competition series -- premieres 1/4/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Four: Battle for Stardom (FOX) -- singing competition series -- premieres 1/4/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 06:49 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yo2FMboxXIY" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

**TWO-HOUR SERIES PREMIERE**--"THE FOUR" - (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

THE FOUR BEGIN THEIR JOURNEY ON THE ALL-NEW SERIES PREMIERE OF "THE FOUR: BATTLE FOR STARDOM" THURSDAY, JANUARY 4, ON FOX

Four fierce recording artists, spanning all music genres, begin the fight to defend their coveted seats in front of a panel of industry experts: Grammy(R) Award-winning musician, record producer and songwriter Sean "Diddy" Combs, record-producing hitmaker DJ Khaled, Grammy-winning recording artist and songwriter Meghan Trainor and record label executive Charlie Walk. Eight-time Grammy(R) Award-winning and multi-Platinum solo artist Fergie will guide the contestants, while they battle it out against new recording artists determined to take their spots in the competition. Find out who will move one step forward to the ultimate prize in the all-new "Week One" two-hour series premiere episode of FOX's all-new singing competition series, THE FOUR: BATTLE FOR STARDOM airing Thursday, Jan. 4 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOU-101/02) (TV-14 D, L)

Host: Fergie

Judges: Sean "Diddy" Combs, DJ Khaled, Meghan Trainor, Charlie Walk
Old 01-15-18, 07:26 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The Four - Battle for Stardom

Anyone watching ?

It's quite entertaining as far as singing shows goes. I fast forward through quite a bit of it

I'm glad the huge fat bloke Saed has gone. Not because he wasn't a good singer, but because i was scared he was going to die on stage. he really is that big.
Old 01-17-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Four: Battle for Stardom (FOX) -- singing competition series -- premieres 1/4

We're still watching... surprisingly. I didn't expect to like it, but so far, we have. It's definitely different, but not for the reasons Diddy likes to point out ("We're not a karaoke show.") Also, I'm surprised the rest of the panel can breathe with him sucking up all the oxygen. But I like the variety of styles (though it's been R&B + Hip-Hop heavy), and there's a certain amount of experience and skill in the singers. Nobody gets into one of "the four" seats without both panel and audience agreeing. It's early in the run and I don't think it runs long, but we've mostly enjoyed it. DJ Khalid is definitely an acquired taste. It's not a perfect balance, but I like the diversity of the panel.

I read a few comments elsewhere and the show was being ripped apart. I have no idea how the ratings are so I don't know if this is successful at all (and likely to come back).
Old 02-08-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Four: Battle for Stardom (FOX) -- singing competition series -- premieres 1/4

This thread was really hard to find with search. I tried searching post titles for "The Four" and even "Four" and neither worked. I knew there was a thread, though. I finally searched post contents for "Diddy".

The finale aired tonight and the winner was named. Charlie Walk, who was accused of sexual harassment recently was not on the show.

Some thoughts...

I usually enjoy music shows. Not so much the competition aspect, but the performances. This show definitely had a certain slant, even with Meghan Trainor (who has been an adviser on The Voice) there. I'm not sure what variety Diddy and DJ Khaled bring as they'd seem to cover the same ground.

Since the winner wins the opportunity to work with the judges, they made the final decisions down the line, which is definitely different from how American Idol, The Voice, and even X-Factor work(ed). I think the viewing audience gets more invested when they think they're picking the winners.

Listening to Diddy talk about how he wants an artist he can mold gave me all kinds of heebie jeebies. There are many singers who want that (especially younger ones), but that would be a horrible thing to try to do to someone who already has an artistic vision. I can see it being very hard to stand up to Diddy if you're working with him. Hopefully he's much more collaborative than he seemed. DJ Khaled actually seemed like he'd be more "fun" to work with.

Supposedly the winner is guaranteed plenty of radio airplay when their song comes out. We'll see.

The show has been renewed for a 2nd season.
Old 02-08-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

It was only on for a month?
Old 02-09-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Yes, there were only 6 episodes. The show went through its talent pool pretty quickly as there were no horrible singers. They're hanging their hats on being able to make something of the winner, so pretty much everyone who comes on can do their thing.

The season started out with 4 "incumbent" singers who had various experience in the industry, but just hadn't put it together yet. The panel would have been happy with any of the original 4, but the show was about if challengers could beat them out and replace them for the opportunity to be taken under the wing of the 4 panelists.

Personally, I heard performances that I really liked. I knew Saeed didn't have the look, etc., but the guy has a voice. There were other good singers too.

Youtube -- The Four videos

Anyway, while I watch these shows to enjoy the performances, I never get too excited about their post-show prospects because it just takes so much more than one can showcase on a show like this to actually make it in the industry. I'd be cautiously optimistic about some of them, but it's not like (for instance) Reuben Studdard couldn't sing. But singing a song someone else has already made famous and applying your own twists is a long way from singing a song when there's no blueprint.

Also, if one were to Google Candice Boyd, one would find she has so much industry experience at this point that it's questionable what Diddy and DJ Khaled can do for her. She has already performed with the likes of French Montana, Ne-Yo (She even performed with him on a televised Christmas special), Tank, Eric Benet (Halle Berry's ex), and many more. She even walked the Soul Train Music Awards red carpet. At some point, people either gravitate towards you or they don't. She can still have success in the business, but not everyone can be a star.
Old 02-09-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Maybe they wanted to cut it short so they don't compete with the Olympics.
Old 02-10-18, 02:25 AM

im surprised it was only 6 eps. I would have thought they would have dragged it out longer

I watched it , fast forwarding through the crap. It wasn't bad overall

i did like the head to head aspect of it.

But it's like audience has all the power during the season and judges all the power in the finale
Old 06-07-18, 06:56 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

**TWO-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE**--"THE FOUR" - (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

THE BATTLE BEGINS ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON TWO PREMIERE OF "THE FOUR: BATTLE FOR STARDOM" THURSDAY, JUNE 7, ON FOX

Four vocal gladiators, spanning all music genres, have been chosen and begin the fight to defend their coveted seats in front of a panel of industry experts: Grammy(R) Award-winning musician, record producer and songwriter Sean "Diddy" Combs, record-producing hitmaker DJ Khaled, and Grammy-winning recording artist and songwriter Meghan Trainor. Eight-time Grammy(R) Award-winning and multi-Platinum solo artist Fergie will guide the contestants, while they battle it out against new artists determined to take their spots in the competition. Find out who will move one step forward to the ultimate prize in the all-new "Week One" season premiere episode of THE FOUR: BATTLE FOR STARDOM airing Thursday, June 7 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOU-201/02) (TV-14 D, L)

Host: Fergie

Panelists: Sean "Diddy" Combs, DJ Khaled and Meghan Trainor
Old 06-07-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking forward to it. The first season had some good singers, covering music that isn't often covered in shows like American Idol and The Voice. I can't say I was a big fan of the eventual winner, but I enjoyed some performances along the way by people like Ash Minor, Saneed Renaud, and others.
Old 06-07-18, 09:41 AM

Has anyone from the first season hit it big in the music world since ?
Old 06-07-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Big? I doubt it. Zhavia was signed to a label (with a serious contract) and was featured on the song "Welcome to the Party" on the Deadpool 2 soundtrack. But that's hardly big in the context I think you were asking the question. The woman who actually won S1 wasn't someone I ever saw doing anything significant, and I don't think she has so far.

Youtube sensation Rebecca Black ("Friday") competed on The Four tonight. Somebody liked her song since it had so many views (100+ million), so maybe someone might want to see what she's been up to since then.

DJ Khaled needs to give the air horn a rest.

I miss having the 4th judge as the show leans even more heavily towards hip hop now, and it's not supposed to be about that. Given that they have DJ Khaled and Diddy, I'd like to have a little more balance on the judging panel. It's not a big problem (especially given there are other shows), but I do think it'd make The Four better.

They kept mentioning how it's S2 now and the bar is even higher. Those were the words. But what I saw on the stage didn't support that for me. After 1 episode, I would not say the collective talent of S2 has been better than S1. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by MikahC; 07-02-18 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-18, 11:30 PM

With Shayara J, she could come out, shit on the floor and not sing and still win because of the heavy sympathy for the Cancer thing which is ultra played upon

Not really fair on any challengers
Old 07-01-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I wish Fergie would go away.

I hate her and her awful music.
Old 07-03-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
With Shayara J, she could come out, shit on the floor and not sing and still win because of the heavy sympathy for the Cancer thing which is ultra played upon

Not really fair on any challengers
There's some truth in what you're saying, but for me, the question is... has she been beaten? I haven't felt so. There weakest thing I've seen from here is an overly repetitive chorus. She has performed well enough as a hip hop artist where I almost think she's a ringer. As much as the having cancer story gives her some (sympathy) benefits, the actual having cancer part certainly doesn't. Missy Elliott is her mentor, and I think Missy was pretty respected in the industry back in the day.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I wish Fergie would go away. I hate her and her awful music.
The only thing that bothers me about her on this show is the spin. She's certainly better than that one season of X Factor where they tried to have Khloe Kardashian be a co-host. She's not performing here, so that's a non-factor.

I still haven't saved any performances so far from this season. But I liked the four they had after episode 2 (they all retained their seats the next episode). Different types of music, races, sexes, etc. It was the most well balanced four I've seen on the show, though I'm still waiting for the "rock" guy to really rock out. He has been more soft rock. I don't know what I'd like to see him sing, but as a person who doesn't actually follow hard rock, I can only say that when I heard Josh Krajcik sing "Pretender" on X Factor, I instantly liked both the performance and song.
Or even James Durbin (feat Zakk Wylde) doing "Heavy Metal" on American Idol.
Old 08-03-18, 11:07 AM

Interesting Result

The panel realized that when you strip away the sympathy factor for Sharaya J, she's just another (be it a good one) rapper. Let's face it, anyone can rap to some degree. Hardly anyone can sing to the level of someone like James Graham

James is infinity more marketable long term and the panel knew it

I think the harsh critiscm in round one was all part of the set up
Old 08-03-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I was reading the comments on another website, and there was some pretty angry reactions to the choice (along with a fair amount of support), and most of the complaints were that choosing James was strictly a commercial decision. I think the judges have said at least three times in every episode that they were producers looking for the most marketable talent.
Old 08-06-18, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personal musical choices aside, let's get real... for Diddy and Khaled, the core of their success has come from hip hop artists. So to me, it seems limited to discount Sharaya J as "just another rapper" as if rappers can't be big commercially. Jay-Z, Kanye, Drake, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Nicki Minaj... those are just some of the artists who have had recent success in rap. That's a commentary on the viability of the musical genre, not a suggestion that Sharaya J would reach their levels. If you think anyone can rap, even with the "to some degree" disclaimer, you're exhibiting a pretty significant lack of understanding of the art form.

If I contrast Sharaya J's presence as a seasoned performer who knows who she is with James Graham's search for who he is, I was at least mildly surprised at the eventual decision. I don't think it's at all clear that James will be infinitely more marketable, nor do I think commercially we're talking the next coming of Justin Timberlake. Then again, I didn't track the streaming charts during the show, so I don't know how they did. I know Meghan Trainor said James has crazy fandom, and she could write for him.

@DWilson, agreed. This show has been the most blatant about the fact that they're not trying to find the "best" but the most commercial. It's one reason why as it comes down to final decisions, unlike American Idol, The Voice, and X Factor, they eliminate the audience from the equation and make the decision themselves. I've even seen disclaimers on the show during parts where you think the audience made a decision stating that the judges made it (not could have... DID).

Sharaya had great exposure that most people trying to break out don't get. If it's meant to happen, it will.