Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Walking Dead Mid-Season 8 Dead Pool

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which characters are going to die?
Rick
6.25%
Carl
31.25%
Michonne
6.25%
Negan
6.25%
Dwight
6.25%
Eugene
25.00%
Tara
12.50%
Father Gabriel
31.25%
Aaron
6.25%
Rosita
6.25%
Daryl
6.25%
Maggie
6.25%
Carol
6.25%
Gregory
25.00%
King Ezekiel
18.75%
Jerry
6.25%
Heath
6.25%
Another half of the audience
25.00%
Just more nameless redshirts
18.75%
Other
6.25%
One/some of Negan’s lieutenants
18.75%
Nobody at all
6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

We are almost to the mid-season break ... time for the sometime tradition!

Who is going to die on the last episode in 2017?

From Forbes:

Something Weird Is Going On With The Walking Dead's Allegedly 'Shocking' Finale

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#36242bdf3f77

... even fans dedicated to uncovering the show’s secrets are being purposefully tight-lipped about Sunday’s episode.

Here’s a message (via Uproxx) from The Spoiling Dead, a site that is, as you can guess, dedicated to spoiling future developments on the show to the point where they’ve even faced legal threats from AMC before. But that’s not what’s going on here, they say:

“After careful consideration we have decided that we will not be providing a Q&A or any spoilery bits this week,” admins of The Spoiling Dead said. “AMC has been hyping a very shocking moment that will occur in this episode. I think most of us know this almost certainly means a death. We invite you to draw your own conclusions on what will happen. Review the spoiler journal, filming and discussion threads, and take what bits you can and try to put the pieces together.”

This is…weird. You would think a show dedicated to spoiling the show would have no qualms about revealing what happens here if they know it, but either it's such a big secret that they don’t know and are pretending they do, or they’re holding back the info for some other reason.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 12-09-17 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Walking Dead Mid-Season 8 Dead Pool

The evidence I’ve seen points to
Spoiler:
Carl.
Old 12-09-17, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the kill Tara.
Old 12-09-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Spoiler:
Carl.
That seems to be a popular theory.

Running that last Sheep game and listening to this week’s podcasts, I think I figured out one of the most aggravating “ground level” problems with TWD that almost goes all the way back to the beginning. They have introduced fascinating characters that potentially have amazing ethos to them, but then they don’t do a damned thing to develop that.

For example, Carol’s arc from Season 1 to now — the evolution from being a beat down mouse of a wife to the ultimate survivor she is now. The show flogs “you can come back” but doesn’t understand it. Of all the survivors, Carol has probably faced the most emotional scarring — from domestic abuse to losing children (one at her own hand) to the deaths of just about any emotional attachment — but the show doesn’t know how to tell her story.

Carl’s arc has been OK, but should be so much better. The show’s inability to portray the passage of time is a major flaw here. His should be the story of the growth, maturation, and possibly corruption of a child who is just old enough to remember a world before this. But since the show doesn’t understand or doesn’t care about time relative to the story, we just get whatever Carl is convenient for that week’s episode. A recast and time jump to a time when Carl is essentially John Connor would be interesting.

Father Gabriel — oh the depths of the human psyche that could have been explored with this character! Just at face value, how does a man of God make sense of the zombie apocalypse? How does he continue to try to spread the word of God and preach peace in a world that is only governed by violence and inhumanity? Add into that his actual backstory of locking his parishioners out of the church and listening to them get slaughtered ... instead he has just been an annoying peckerweed that runs the day care for Rick.

We complain about the constant moral yo-yo-ing of Morgan, Jesus, etc. but the failure to successfully explore the characters goes far beyond that. They have simply become pieces used to propel an extremely thin and meandering story forward.

I know many people hated the “mini-arc” of Governor backstory episodes years ago, but I think these were some of the best storytelling the show has ever done. Same with the mini Morgan movie (which had its flaws but the concept was solid). Even the little bit of screen time Alicia Witt’s one-and-done character had was well used to paint the picture of a meek sexually harassed secretary that became a survivor. Those are the things the show should be doing.
Old 12-09-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Speculation:

Spoiler:
Carl got bitten when he was fighting off the dead horse walkers with Siddiq.

Carl gets back to Alexandria, dies, turns, and eats Judith.

Now that would be fucked up...

Another possibility... You remember the flash-forward of red-eyed Rick quoting the Quran about how his mercy would prevail over his wrath? The assumption is that he would be talking about Negan or another Saviour. But what if it's someone close to Rick like Darryl who does something impulsive, stupid, and loose cannon and gets someone close to Rick killed? Darryl and Rick have certainly been clashing over tactics and ethics in recent episodes...
Old 12-09-17, 11:29 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The ratings.
Old 12-10-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Spoiler:
Carl.
Hope it is not true.But at this point I really do not care.

Spoiler:
I hope the kill Tara.
Besides the first episode,I kind of like her now.She wanted to take out all the saviors like Morgan wanted.

Hope it is this guy.But highly unlikely

Spoiler:
Old 12-10-17, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That seems to be a popular theory.

Running that last Sheep game and listening to this week’s podcasts, I think I figured out one of the most aggravating “ground level” problems with TWD that almost goes all the way back to the beginning. They have introduced fascinating characters that potentially have amazing ethos to them, but then they don’t do a damned thing to develop that.

For example, Carol’s arc from Season 1 to now — the evolution from being a beat down mouse of a wife to the ultimate survivor she is now. The show flogs “you can come back” but doesn’t understand it. Of all the survivors, Carol has probably faced the most emotional scarring — from domestic abuse to losing children (one at her own hand) to the deaths of just about any emotional attachment — but the show doesn’t know how to tell her story.

Carl’s arc has been OK, but should be so much better. The show’s inability to portray the passage of time is a major flaw here. His should be the story of the growth, maturation, and possibly corruption of a child who is just old enough to remember a world before this. But since the show doesn’t understand or doesn’t care about time relative to the story, we just get whatever Carl is convenient for that week’s episode. A recast and time jump to a time when Carl is essentially John Connor would be interesting.

Father Gabriel — oh the depths of the human psyche that could have been explored with this character! Just at face value, how does a man of God make sense of the zombie apocalypse? How does he continue to try to spread the word of God and preach peace in a world that is only governed by violence and inhumanity? Add into that his actual backstory of locking his parishioners out of the church and listening to them get slaughtered ... instead he has just been an annoying peckerweed that runs the day care for Rick.

We complain about the constant moral yo-yo-ing of Morgan, Jesus, etc. but the failure to successfully explore the characters goes far beyond that. They have simply become pieces used to propel an extremely thin and meandering story forward.

I know many people hated the “mini-arc” of Governor backstory episodes years ago, but I think these were some of the best storytelling the show has ever done. Same with the mini Morgan movie (which had its flaws but the concept was solid). Even the little bit of screen time Alicia Witt’s one-and-done character had was well used to paint the picture of a meek sexually harassed secretary that became a survivor. Those are the things the show should be doing.
Great analysis.

For quite a few seasons, it seemed to me that the writers didn't really "respect" the characters. They have merely been props to move the story along. For example, the wavering inconsistencies of Rick's character (sometimes episode to episode) seemed to be an easy way to get the story moving in the direction they wanted.

The Governor is a good example of the story seeming to unfold as a result of the character.

But I understand the difficulty in writing characters who seem to be alive and grow (not one dimensional, flat, and predictable) while trying to keep a storyline on "track". Sometimes the characters would incline to take a story in a direction that the writers didn't want to go in. So they have to yank the character back in line to the flow of the narrative.
Old 12-10-17, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
The ratings.
Touché!

That's what you get when alienating your loyal fan base with a couple of terrible seasons in a row. They will leave, or are leaving now.
Old 12-10-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
The ratings.
I included “another half of the audience”!
Old 12-10-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted that everyone dies. The mid-season finale is actually a surprise series finale.
Old 12-10-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Gimple isn’t a choice though we can hope.
Old 12-10-17, 09:32 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

We all got played.
Old 12-10-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One zombie in a whole 1 1/2 hr show about zombies? Gimple is number one on my “hope to be killed by zombie” hit list.
Old 12-11-17, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The voters for “Just more nameless redshirts”: Abob Teff, Breakfast with Girls, Jason

The only voter who only chose the correct answer: Jason
Old 12-11-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

The voters for “Just more nameless redshirts”: Abob Teff, Breakfast with Girls, Jason

Too much plot armor on this show.
Old 12-11-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

someone named Neil died.
Old 12-11-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And yet we didn’t get 15 minutes of backstory and moral guidance from him ... still a nameless redshirt.

I dont watch Talking Dead ... did Gimple explain to us that the death of Neil in Maggie’s presence is to symbolize how Maggie will no longer allow people to kneel to Negan?
Old 12-11-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Who the hell is was Neil?

Grandma Narnia got taken out by that girl Carl likes after she and "Have I mentioned my husband in this scene yet? Because I'm gay you know" guy set up the world's most poorly thought through welcome wagon.

Originally Posted by Jason
Too much plot armor on this show.
Seriously. I said it in a previous episode thread, but the show needs to fall back out of love with the cast. Hate to break it to them, but not every character is a national treasure. Until the show does that it will continue to be predictable. They forfeited one of the most valuable things they had going for them: That anything could happen, and there were consequences for actions, both good and bad. It has morphed into a stale melodrama with zombies as minor background characters.
Old 12-11-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I chose the options that justice demanded!