Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superfly -- remake (2018) - news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

‘Super Fly’ Remake in Works at Sony With ‘Watchmen’ Scribe (EXCLUSIVE)
By Justin Kroll and Brent Lang

In an effort to continue to fill their slate with fresh IP, Sony has closed a development deal for the rights to the classic blaxploitation pic “Superfly,” with “Watchmen” scribe Alex Tse penning the script.

The film is inspired by the 1972 classic, which starred Ron O’Neal as Priest, a cocaine dealer looking to score one more super deal and retire. The movie was directed by Gordon Parks Jr., the son of Gordon Parks, who directed another blaxploitation classic “Shaft” — one of the staples in the early years of the genre that took the ’70s by storm.

While the film is a cult hit, its soundtrack may be even more popular. Composed by R&B legend Curtis Mayfield, the soundtrack would go on to become the only to outgross its film’s box office earnings.

The movie eventually got a sequel, “Super Fly T.N.T.” Sony hopes the latest version will lead to a series of films.

Sony exec Palak Patel spearheaded the effort to buy the rights, and the studio is already in the process of making a list of actors to meet for the title role. Joel Silver is producing.

TSE is best known for penning Zack Snyder’s adaptation of “Watchmen.” He is repped by CAA and Lighthouse Management & Media.
Old 01-16-18, 12:47 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
re: Superfly -- remake (2018) - news, rumors, etc.

EXCLUSIVE: Sony’s Superfly film is assembling a team aptly fit for its title. As Deadline previously reported, Director X is officially attached to direct the remake with Trevor Jackson confirmed to star as Youngblood Priest. In addition, Mudbound and Straight Outta Compton star Jason Mitchell has signed on to co-star as Eddie, along with Lex Scott Davis as Georgia, Andrea Londo as Cynthia, Jacob Ming-Trent (Showtime’s White Famous) as Fat Freddy, and Omar Chapparo as Adalberto.

Hip-hop superstar Future has come on board to produce with Joel Silver, while Steven R. Shore, son of the original film’s producer Sig Shore, will serve as an exec producer alongside Matthew Hirsch, Hal Sadoff and Aaron Ausch.

Alex Tse will pen the screenplay. The original blaxploitation crime drama, which was helmed by Gordon Parks Jr. and starred Ron O’Neal as Priest, followed African American cocaine dealer who tries to secure one more deal before getting out of the business.

Future will curate the soundtrack for the redo, following in the footsteps of legendary songwriter and musician Curtis Mayfield, who composed the original soundtrack, which went on to the a critical and commercial success. Separately, rapper 21 Savage is in talks to join the film in some capacity.

“When I went back and watched the original, I was struck by how relevant the themes are,” said Director X. “The pursuit of the American Dream is eternal – everyone’s always on the hustle, because you’ve got to be… and Superfly is about pulling off the ultimate hustle to get out of the game. Our goal is to make it modern – to make a movie where the style, the art direction, the camera movements are all part of what makes the movie Superfly. With this film, my goal is to honor the lineage of an iconic title that the community has loved for decades.”

He continued, “I want to honor it in a way that shows a new generation how black culture continues to be a catalyst for new trends in every area, from fashion to music. I’m also excited to be working with Future, both on the music and as a producer of the film – the original soundtrack is legendary, and that’s an inspiration for the artists that Future is working with to bring a singular modern musical vision to the film.”

Said Shore: “My father was very proud to have made a movie that meant so much to so many over the years, and for me, it’s gratifying to be continuing that legacy with this film. Director X has an incredible vision to bring Superfly, and Superfly style, to a whole new generation.”

Mitchell is repped by UTA, Authentic Talent and Literary, and Ziffren Brittenham; Jackson by CAA and Management 360; Davis is repped by ICM and Luber Roklin Entertainment; Londo by Gersh and Rough Diamond Management; Ming-Trent by Talent House and Authentic Talent and Literary Management.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/trevor-j...-x-1202243883/
Old 01-29-18, 12:59 PM

Michael K. Williams Set To Co-Star In ‘Superfly’ Remake
http://deadline.com/2018/01/michael-...ny-1202272917/
Old 01-29-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I was excited, until I saw that Williams isn’t playing Superfly.
Old 03-23-18, 08:28 AM

Re: Superfly -- remake (2018) - news, rumors, etc.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aNvRdg1lR7c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-04-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Old 05-04-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

"From acclaimed filmmaker Director X"

Ron O'Neal was the MAN, thirty-five years old when he played the original part, and a powerful stage veteran (even if the role ultimately stifled his career). Trevor Jackson looks like a little boy, especially with that big scoop of pudding swirled upside his head.
Old 06-11-18, 07:55 AM

This opens on Wednesday.
Old 06-12-18, 09:10 PM

So far the reviews aren’t terrible: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superfly_
Old 06-12-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

When I originally saw the Trailer a few weeks ago, I didn't have any need to see this film.

That is what MoviePass is for!
Old 06-13-18, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it don't disappoints me.
Old 06-13-18, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

Superfly was made for a VERY specific time and place.
A reboot can't possibly work as well as the original: the Universe has CHANGED!
Is nothing sacred anymore?