Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I need advice, couldn't think of a different title..

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-17, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been collecting blue-rays, and dvds for a few years and I wanted too let some go. I've never sold anything on ebay,Amazon etc.. and I wanted too know if anyone has any experience selling? And if so could they pass some basic 101. I'll give you a free DVD 😊
Old 11-28-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: I need advice, couldn't think of a different title..

Only a little bit of experience here.

If you look around the forum here, you'll probably see folks who would discourage selling online because it's just not worth the time/effort to list, ship, etc.

When you sell them to a place like Half Price Books, you receive such a small amount on the dollar.

I've had some success with a yard sale. My wife has one nearly every spring. I put 100 DVDs on a table for $1-2 and unloaded nearly half of them. I'll probably go that route again.

You could also donate them to your library for the tax write-off as well if you're simply wanting to clear out some space.
Old 11-28-17, 08:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Unless you're talking boutique labels like Criterion or Arrow, most discs will fetch you a couple bucks each if you're lucky. Rather than spend time and fees and postage on ebay sales for such low returns, giving them away may be best.
Old 11-28-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Also check the current Ebay listings to see what titles are selling for. A few out of print titles go for a decent amount but more common ones might bring in just a few cents. Make sure that you at least don't lose money on the shipping costs!
Old 12-01-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

My advice would be... to title your thread "Advice needed on selling used DVD/Blu-ray online".

Amazon will take trade-ins on certain DVDs and Blu-rays. Find the item on their site, and under the "Add to Cart" and "Add to List" buttons, but above the "Other Seller on Amazon" box will be a "Trade in Now" button, if it's something they'll take:

You can create a list of trade-ins, and then Amazon will give you a shipping label to ship it to them, they'll appraise them and then award you what they think it's worth, and send back any rejects. This is the simplest way to sell off discs, with little effort, but you're also going to get the least amount of money for them.

Pawn shops may also take some, and maybe some used book stores, but again for not much money.

There also appear to be a few "trade in" sites, but I don't know anything about them:
https://wellkeptwallet.com/sell-used-dvds/

Personally, I just tend to donate discs I don't want anymore to Goodwill, or give them to friends.
Old 12-01-17, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been selling DVDs, Blu-Rays and CDs for a few years now. It's usually just selling to either declutter or selling to upgrade some titles for various reasons (superior quality releases, better packaging, etc.)

I post the titles that I know are more valuable on eBay. If I'm selling an entire film or television series I post them as one lot rather than doing the seasons or films individually, especially if they aren't worth much by themselves. The only negatives here are the eBay fees, and the fact that you may not sell them instantly (I have a shelf in my closet dedicated to CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays I have listed on eBay).

Titles that are more common and often found in the market I always sell to SecondSpin.com. They don't give a lot, but they pay decently. If you have enough titles you could make a decent amount, especially considering they're titles that probably won't move on eBay. There are a few drawbacks but they're minor in my eyes. Firstly, they deduct a few cents from each title that is sent with a broken case, and they deduct a few cents for any discs that have scratches that they can buff out. When you sell on SecondSpin you have to pay the shipping but they reimburse you when they get your package. I only sell to SS in small quantities since they only reimburse up to a certain dollar amount for shipping. If I'm selling a lot back to them I break it up into separate orders so that I get all the money I spend on shipping back. The plus side to selling to them is they return any discs they can't accept. I will say that I've been selling and buying from them for years and haven't had any bad experiences.

Anything that SecondSpin pay under $1.00 for I sell on an App called Decluttr. You just scan the UPC of the movie or CD and they show you what you'd get for it. Usually it's worth under a dollar here too, but at least Decluttr provides you with a shipping label. The drawback to Decluttr is that they don't send you back discs they can't accept like SecondSpin does.

Last edited by rjh_54; 12-01-17 at 07:13 PM.