Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bollywood movie "Padmavati" release delayed due to death threats against lead actress

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bollywood movie "Padmavati" release delayed due to death threats against lead actress

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Wow! And we thought we had problems with our movie industry.

I was looking forward to this movie (big Bhansali fan), so it kinda sux that it's being delayed.

$1.6 Million Reward offered to behead Bollywood star

By Huizhong Wu, CNN

Producers of a Bollywood movie have delayed its release amid fears for the safety of its female star, following death threats from prominent Hindu hardliners.

The quasi-historical movie, entitled Padmavati, has ignited anger among right-wing Hindu groups owing to its rumored depiction of a romantic dream sequence involving a mythical Hindu queen and an invading Muslim sultan. The filmmakers have repeatedly denied the movie includes such a scene.

Much of the anger has centered on the movie's female lead, Deepika Padukone, who has been subject to a sustained campaign of abuse and intimidation. On Sunday, a member of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's ruling Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP), Suraj Pal Amu, offered a reward of $1.6 million to anyone who beheads the actress, sparking an immediate outcry and calls for Amu to retract the threat.

Security for Padukone, one of India's biggest movie stars, was increased earlier in November, Mumbai's joint commissioner of police Deven Bharti told CNN. It came as a member of little known right wing Hindu group, Kari Sena, publicly threatened to cut off Padukone's nose.

Director Sanjay Leela Bhansali, who has also received death threats, issued a video statement saying that the protests were caused by a misunderstanding and that there was no romance between the Muslim king and the Hindu queen. “We have made this film very responsibly, keeping in mind the Rajput dignity and respect. I would like to reiterate once again that our film has no dream sequence between Rani Padmavati and Alauddin Khilji or any other scene which will hurt anyone,” he said.

She's pretty hot. I am totally against her beheading.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="710" height="465" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X_5_BLt76c0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 11-22-17 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Bollywood movie "Padmavati" release delayed due to death threats against lead act

Let her live.

Behead the person who chopped the trailer up where the music doesn't flow right.

j/k
Old 11-22-17, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Bollywood movie "Padmavati" release delayed due to death threats against lead act

What the fuck?

So the Bhartiya Janata Party is basically like the Republicans of India. And the anger is sparked by a rumor of a blasphemous scene ... that is only a rumor and not really being filmed?

I'm not clear on Suraj Pal Amu's place in government. Is he an elected official? Or just a BJP voter?

Is this kind of thing actually allowed in India? Or is this guy going to be prosecuted for death threats?