Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mudbound (2017) S: Mitchell, Hedlund, Mulligan, Clarke, Banks, Blige -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 10:04 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vAZWhFI9lLQ" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xucHiOAa8Rs" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Set in the rural American South during World War II, Dee Rees' Mudbound is an epic story of two families pitted against one another by a ruthless social hierarchy, yet bound together by the shared farmland of the Mississippi Delta. Mudbound follows the McAllan family, newly transplanted from the quiet civility of Memphis and unprepared for the harsh demands of farming. Despite the grandiose dreams of Henry, his wife Laura struggles to keep the faith in her husband's losing venture. Meanwhile, Hap and Florence Jackson - sharecroppers who have worked the land for generations - struggle bravely to build a small dream of their own despite the rigidly enforced social barriers they face. The war upends both families' plans as their returning loved ones, Jamie McAllan and Ronsel Jackson, forge a fast but uneasy friendship that challenges the brutal realities of the Jim Crow South in which they live.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396589/

This dropped on Netflix last week. 97% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mudbound
Old 11-22-17, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Mudbound (2017) S: Mitchell, Hedlund, Mulligan, Clarke, Banks, Blige -- Netflix

Just watched it last night and had been looking forward to it. The film certainly delivered for me.

It starts off kind of slow for about 20 minutes, but it really picks up after that. Great performances and a terrific cast.

I'm not sure what awards this is allowed to win, but it will take some home for sure. Don't know if it played in a few theaters to be Oscar-eligible or not.

A tough watch at times, but well worth it.
Old 11-22-17, 07:07 AM

Re: Mudbound (2017) S: Mitchell, Hedlund, Mulligan, Clarke, Banks, Blige -- Netflix

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Just watched it last night and had been looking forward to it. The film certainly delivered for me.

It starts off kind of slow for about 20 minutes, but it really picks up after that. Great performances and a terrific cast.

I'm not sure what awards this is allowed to win, but it will take some home for sure. Don't know if it played in a few theaters to be Oscar-eligible or not.

A tough watch at times, but well worth it.
All Netflix award contenders like this play in a limited amount of theatres so they can be eligible.
Old 01-24-18, 04:24 PM

So this did end up getting some Oscar noms. I don’t know if Mary J. Blige’s was warranted...

Anyone else’s thoughts?
Old 01-24-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I still need to watch this so I can't comment if her performance is worthy or not. There still might be a slight backlash against Netflix. Next year, we'll how well The Irishman does in noms.
Old 01-25-18, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So this did end up getting some Oscar noms. I don’t know if Mary J. Blige’s was warranted...

Anyone else’s thoughts?
I thought Mary J. Blige did a nice job, especially for an inexperienced actor. But it wasn't anything I would consider award-worthy.

I also just saw The Post, and Meryl Streep getting a nomination for that, which wasn't even a very good role, is just ridiculous.
Old 02-14-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Watched Mudbound this evening. My dad’s side of the family were cotton croppers, similar to the primary characters. It was a very interesting watch for me.