Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Former Faith No More singer Chuck Mosley dead at 57

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-at-57-w511563

Chuck Mosley, the vocalist for the mid-Eighties run of pioneering alt-metal outliers Faith No More, died Thursday at the age of 57. The singer pioneered what would eventually become rap-rock on the band's first hit, 1987's snarky MTV breakthrough "We Care a Lot." He left the band shortly after and did a stint as the singer of Bad Brains in the early Nineties. After embarking on a solo career, he made a handful of onstage guest appearances in the years since Faith No More's 2009 reunion.
Related
Faith No More Talk Success, Split, Scars and 'Sol Invictus'

'You need scars; you need experience; you need to know where you went right and, maybe, wrong,' says drummer Mike Bordin

"After a long period of sobriety, Charles Henry Mosley III lost his life, on November 9th, 2017, due to the disease of addiction," Mosley's family wrote in a statement. "We’re sharing the manner in which he passed, in the hopes that it might serve as a warning or wake up call or beacon to anyone else struggling to fight for sobriety. He is survived by long-term partner Pip Logan, two daughters, Erica and Sophie and his grandson Wolfgang Logan Mosley. The family will be accepting donations for funeral expenses."

Faith No More added in a statement, "It’s with a heavy, heavy heart we acknowledge the passing of our friend and bandmate, Chuck Mosley. He was a reckless and caterwauling force of energy who delivered with conviction and helped set us on a track of uniqueness and originality that would not have developed the way it had had he not been a part. How fortunate we are to have been able to perform with him last year in a reunion style when we re-released our very first record. His enthusiasm, his sense of humor, his style and his bravado will be missed by so many. We were a family, an odd and dysfunctional family, and we’ll be forever grateful for the time we shared with Chuck."

Mosley came up in the vibrant punk rock scene in Los Angeles, playing keyboards in the Animated, the taut New Wave band of then teenaged Faith No More founder Billy Gould and his own Haircuts That Kill. He joined Faith No More in 1985, adding his distinctive post-punk yowling and rapping to a band who was years ahead of the curve of the post-modern mix of funk, metal, hip-hop and pop. Though, as Mosley told Fear and Loathing last year, "It was all punk rock to me, man." The band's second album, Introduce Yourself, spawned the hit "We Care a Lot," bringing the band to national attention. The song is now best known as the theme to popular Discovery Channel series Dirty Jobs.

During his stint in the band, Mosley's behavior was unpredictable. In the most famous incident of the era, he fell asleep onstage at the Introduce Yourself release party. Faith No More eventually split with Mosely, taking on teenaged firebrand Mike Patton and going on to release the platinum 1989 album The Real Thing.

In 1990, Mosley briefly replaced H.R. as the vocalist for hardcore punk pioneers Bad Brains. Following one of that band's many break-ups, he formed funk-metal band Cement, who were derailed after Mosley broke his back in a bus accident. He moved to Cleveland in 1996, working at restaurants and focusing on being a father.

In 2009, Mosley released his solo debut, the cheekily titled Will Rap Over Hard Rock For Food, featuring an appearance from famous Faith No More fan, Jonathan Davis of Korn.

His long out-of-print 1985 debut LP with Faith No More, We Care a Lot, was reissued in 2016. The band celebrated the re-release by reuniting most of the vintage line-up *– billed as "Chuck Mosley and Friends" – for two shows in California.
Old 11-11-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Former Faith No More singer Chuck Mosley dead at 57

Very sad to hear. I remember hearing Introduce Yourself for the first time when I was in high school. At first I was not really into it because it was so stylistically different than Real Thing and Angel Dust. Over time though it became one of my favorite albums.
Old 11-11-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I met him a few weeks ago at the Dead Cross (Mike Patton’s new band) concert in Detroit. He was as nice as can be, chatting with fans at the show and in the bar afterwards. Some lady asked me who he was and when I told her the lead singer of Faith No More she took off like a shot towards him. Hope he got a little action that night!

RIP

Last edited by auto; 11-12-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I like those first 2 albums. My best FNM story does not involve me but instead one of my old roommates. It was in the Mosley years. They were scheduled to play a gig in Lafayette, LA. Something happened with the club and it got cancelled. So my friend's older brother invited the band to play at their parent's house, which they did. House party with FNM as the band. Pretty cool.