TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S3E05) -- "Damage" -- 11/6/17

Old 11-06-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Supergirl (S3E05) -- "Damage" -- 11/6/17

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 6

SUPERGIRL

"Damage" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, V) (HDTV)

MORGAN EDGE SETS HIS SIGHTS ON LENA - When multiple children get sick from lead poisoning, Morgan Edge (guest star Adrian Pasdar) points the finger at Lena (Katie McGrath) and blames her creation of the lead bomb she made to save National City from the Daxamites. While Lena knows she never intended any harm, she fears there may have been a flaw in her design, leaving her responsible. Kara (Melissa Benoist) teams up with Samantha (Odette Annable) to clear Lena's name, but it turns out to be harder than they thought. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) make a crucial decision about the future of their relationship. Kevin Smith directed the episode written by Eric Carrasco & Cindy Lichtman (#305). Original airdate 11/6/2017.
Old 11-06-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S3E05) -- "Damage" -- 11/6/17

Good riddance Maggie. 'Bout time. Not the best episode, but certainly better than the recent one on Mars.
Old 11-07-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time will tell if they actually include less of Alex's sexuality now, or they just show her dating and hooking up with random women. Would be quite ironic for all the complainers to applaud the dumping of a story line that would have been a couple in a loving, monogamous, marriage turn into a yet another young, attractive, single character going through the casual sex routine for the rest of the series.

Not one of the better episodes of the series given they once again tried to force in Jimmy and Edge does not make for a worthy villain.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 11-07-17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-07-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

I wonder if Maxwell Lord fell in a sink hole.

(I assume his absence is related to the production move, but I don't think the show has mentioned him since season 1).
Old 11-07-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Time will tell if they actually include less of Alex's sexuality now, or they just show her dating and hooking up with random women. Would be quite ironic for all the complainers to applaud the dumping of a story line that would have been a couple in a loving, monogamous, marriage turn into a yet another young, attractive, single character going through the casual sex routine for the rest of the series.

Not one of the better episodes of the series given they once again tried to force in Jimmy and Edge does not make for a worthy villain.
I've mentioned it before, but I imagine the long-term game-plan is to have Alex taking custody of Olive, Reign's kid (depending on what happens to Reign). I know that doesn't really answer part of the question, but I think that's where the focus will go, since we're all about parenting).
Old 11-07-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
I've mentioned it before, but I imagine the long-term game-plan is to have Alex taking custody of Olive, Reign's kid (depending on what happens to Reign).
I can see that happening. Or like pretty much every other show on TV, the children are all but ignored after some brief hand waving that explains where he or she is off screen.
Old 11-07-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

The problem was that the show was devoting a third to a half on Alex’s relationship instead of...you know...Supergirl. If they focus that much on Alex’s love life its bad for the show.
Old 11-07-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

Alex is the second character on the show so her (non Kara) life should be explored as an occasional B or C plot (like Diggle/Lyla on Arrow). Maggie should never have been a series regular, b/c no matter how many times they tried to force it the show never could find a logical role for her other than as Alex's love interest.

A problem that a lot of these CW DC show face is that the best interactions that most of the secondary and tertiary characters have are with the lead character. When they try to service those characters in other ways the shows often suffer.
Old 11-07-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
The problem was that the show was devoting a third to a half on Alex’s relationship instead of...you know...Supergirl. If they focus that much on Alex’s love life its bad for the show.
Totally agree. I didn't care much one way or the other about the Alex/Maggie relationship initially, but then they just ate up so much screen time each episode, and it dragged down the show. It became kind of overbearing. If they had developed the same arc over a longer span of time with less time devoted to it per episode, it might not have been so bad.
Old 11-07-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg
A third is reasonable given Alex is second only to Kara character wise on the show.

With all due respect, if you or anybody else is thinking these CW shows are not going to include a ton of relationship stuff, sacrificing basically everything else, you're watching the wrong network.
Old 11-07-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

That is why the show went into the toilet. Alex is not an interesting enough character to be Supergirl's second lead character. I think they wanted James to fill that role in the beginning, but audiences didn't react well to his planned romance with Kara. It's why we got Mon-El.
Old 11-07-17, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Here's what I got from this episode (in no particular order):

Men suck (unless you're Kara's friend).
Being a woman is hard.
Being a lesbian is hard.
Being (or wanting to be) a mom is hard.
Breaking the law is ok if you're doing it for the right reasons.
Being best friends with your boss and owner of a national newspaper doesn't cause a conflict of interest.
Men suck.

Did I miss anything?
Old 11-07-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think relationships have anything to do with the ratings. I think the main reason is the show has the most inconsistent writing of the hero shows. I mean things like breaking the ceiling of the building she works in and nobody saying anything about it. Or killing a character that can breakup into small pieces by ripping her apart. They continue to do things that make no sense within the logic of the show.
Old 11-07-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Episode was okay. They had a few fun sequences like Supergirl rescuing Lena from that potential plane crash. Plus we get a little more progress on Samantha discovering her powers.

As for Maggie and Alex, I suppose they did the best they could writing her out. I read this was really Floriana Lima's choice because she wanted to seek other opportunities and I guess being stuck to a long-term contract working in Vancouver most of the year wasn't ideal for her.

I wasn't one of those who hated Alex's transition, but I can see why it wasn't really appreciated or worked for others. That relationship did suck up more screentime than needed to be.

Next week's looks interesting with the flashback to Kara and Alex as teens and seeing more of Erica Durance.
Old 11-07-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DWilson
I've mentioned it before, but I imagine the long-term game-plan is to have Alex taking custody of Olive, Reign's kid (depending on what happens to Reign). I know that doesn't really answer part of the question, but I think that's where the focus will go, since we're all about parenting).

Samantha/Reign's daughter's name is Ruby.
Old 11-07-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

A third is reasonable given Alex is second only to Kara character wise on the show.

With all due respect, if you or anybody else is thinking these CW shows are not going to include a ton of relationship stuff, sacrificing basically everything else, you're watching the wrong network.
I’ve been watching CW shows longer than the CW’s been around. There are good ways to do this and bad ways. As an example The 100 handles the relationships in a manner within the story. Alex/Maggie was trying to be the story. Even on the CW relationships have a buildup and courtship. This went from Alex’s realization, to rejection, to dating, to engagement in many be a couple of months. The show runners were trying to serve two masters and the show has suffered.

Last edited by Kdogg; 11-07-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree wit this 100%.

Alex is the second character on the show so her (non Kara) life should be explored as an occasional B or C plot (like Diggle/Lyla on Arrow). Maggie should never have been a series regular, b/c no matter how many times they tried to force it the show never could find a logical role for her other than as Alex's love interest.
This again. Maggie was as useless to this show as Ilsa Pucci was to Human Target. She was only on this show so that Alex could be a lesbian and have a love interest. What's even worse, she ruined the Danver's sister dynamic and took focus off of Supergirl in some cases. The episode where Alex was kidnapped was a good example. It could have been a good character centric episode for Kara, but instead Maggie had to be shoe horned in with the ultimate resolution of the episode being about Kara and Maggie respecting each other, instead of Kara learning that even with her powers, she sometimes needs to try other tactics.

A third is reasonable given Alex is second only to Kara character wise on the show
No it's not. Especially when every single episode basically felt like two separate shows. One about Supergirl and one about two lesbians dating. Does anyone want to see Joe go shopping for baby supplies for an entire season, or Diggle and Layla raise their baby for an entire season and go through marriage counseling? No. So why did we have to get an entire season of riveting plots like Maggie not wanting to celebrate Valentines, and Alex wanting to hang out with Maggie's ex.

That is why the show went into the toilet. Alex is not an interesting enough character to be Supergirl's second lead character. I think they wanted James to fill that role in the beginning, but audiences didn't react well to his planned romance with Kara. It's why we got Mon-El.
Agreed. Honestly I think J'onn and Winn can replace Alex and James and the show will be better for it. Right now Alex feels like nothing more than a token lesbian, and that's all she will be going forward in the shows eyes because they made it her only trait.

I don't think relationships have anything to do with the ratings. I think the main reason is the show has the most inconsistent writing of the hero shows. I mean things like breaking the ceiling of the building she works in and nobody saying anything about it. Or killing a character that can breakup into small pieces by ripping her apart. They continue to do things that make no sense within the logic of the show
Honestly I have a theory about this show. I feel like the writers really don't want to work on this show, don't want to write for a comic book series, and feel like they are above it. That's why we get such shitty writing, characters. and political commentary.
Old 11-11-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/warn...rg-1202612522/
Old 11-11-17, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Holy shit. Whatever you do don't read the comments.
Old 11-11-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For people unwilling to click the link, one of Berlanti's key producers behind Arrow, the Flash and Supergirl has been accused of gross sexual misconduct on his shows. Producer Andrew Kreisberg will be recognizable to anyone that has watched the special features on their various Blu-ray sets.

The comments insinuate that Floriana Lima (Maggie) left the show over this abuse. Remember that many industry people read Variety, so the comment sections are often from posters with semi-direct knowledge.

This might put the final nail in Supergirl's coffin for the CW. Kreisberg was considered one of the main creative forces on the shows he worked.
Old 11-11-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
For people unwilling to click the link, one of Berlanti's key producers behind Arrow, the Flash and Supergirl has been accused of gross sexual misconduct on his shows. Producer Andrew Kreisberg will be recognizable to anyone that has watched the special features on their various Blu-ray sets.

The comments insinuate that Floriana Lima (Maggie) left the show over this abuse. Remember that many industry people read Variety, so the comment sections are often from posters with semi-direct knowledge.

This might put the final nail in Supergirl's coffin for the CW. Kreisberg was considered one of the main creative forces on the shows he worked.

I don't think they were talking about Floriana Lima. They were insinuating that Ali Adler, the creator of Supergirl, left because of him and his behavior. Article was saying that a "high level female producer" who worked with him tried to report his behavior and nothing was done.

For those who don't follow the show and it's behind the scenes news, Adler left the show after season 2.

His departure and imminent will hurt The Flash more and he's also showrunner and head writer on that series.

Just speculating, but then again Lima could have witnessed his "behavior" and decided this was a set that she didn't want to be part of.
Old 11-11-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's accused of doing this with an actress as well. The article paints him out as some sort of equal opportunity groper that relentlessly hit on both women and men.
Old 11-13-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When it rains, it pours. Jeremy Jordan (Winn) was put in the hospital from Chiptotle he ate and has been trashing the chain all weekend on social media.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...-him-sick.html