Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Deathstroke movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/10/25/d...-gareth-evans/

DC Films will be making a movie about Deathstroke The Terminator / Slade Wilson, and has tapped The Raid director Gareth Evans to direct and True Blood's Joe Manganiello set to star!

Developing...
Old 10-25-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Untitled Deathstroke movie

Wow, a standalone movie for Deathstroke? As long as Joe is in then so am I.

EDIT - Hell, just realized Gareth Evans is directing - count me double in!
Old 10-25-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Wow, did not see that coming and
Old 10-25-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

https://www.thewrap.com/gareth-evans...s-deathstroke/

More details

‘The Raid’ Vet Gareth Evans in Talks to Direct DC Comics ‘Deathstroke’ Film (Exclusive)

“The Raid” helmer Gareth Evans is in early discussions to write and direct DC Comics Assassin “Deathstroke” film, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

“True Blood” and “Magic Mike” star Joe Manganiello is attached to star. Deathstroke was previously attached to be the antagonist on the solo “The Batman” film when Ben Affleck was still attached to direct. “He’s a great villain because — I just had an instinctive feeling that he would match up with him well. You know, I’m a big admirer of that character as well, especially in the New 52 the way that they did Deathstroke, and I thought that it could work,” Affleck told Collider.

Last year, Affleck posted a cryptic tweet of Joe Manganiello as Deathstroke walking ominously toward the camera, which set of a frenzy of speculation.

After Affleck stepped down and Matt Reeves was hired to direct “The Batman,” Reeves shelved Affleck’s script and started over. Evans who initially passed on directing “Justice League Dark,” however impressed DC executives with his Deathstroke pitch that the company decided to go forward with a spinoff film.

Deathstroke was created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. He is a mercenary and assassin who first appeared in “The New Teen Titans” #2 back in 1980. Wizard magazine rated him the 24th greatest villain of all time.

In 2009, Deathstroke was ranked as IGN’s 32nd greatest comic book villain of all time. Deathstroke, also known as Deathstroke the Terminator or simply Slade, is known to be the greatest assassin in all of DC Comics.

Deathstroke was meant to be a one-off villain for the Teen Titans, his story being that he took over a contract to kill the team after his son succumbed to his own superhuman enhancements. Instead, he became so popular that he ended up evolving into one of the Titans’ most frequent adversaries.

The character became so popular that in 1991 that DC gave him his own series, in which he fought Batman for the first time. In the four-part series “City of Assassins,” Deathstroke takes on more of an antihero bent as he uses brutal, Punisher-esque tactics to go after a Gotham City mob boss. His hunt puts him on a collision course with Batman, whom Deathstroke actually defeats in combat. Later, the two form an uneasy alliance to root out a masked assassin who killed one of Commissioner Gordon’s men.

Now, as part of its “Rebirth” initiative, DC is giving Deathstroke another comic of his own, but while the ’90s series treated him as an antihero, this new line shows Deathstroke as the coldest mercenary you can imagine. He jumps from one contract to another, killing people without hesitation. When he’s not on the job, he’s getting into fights with his wife and abusing his kids, the latter of whom end up taking alter egos of their own.

Evans exploded onto the scene after he wrote and directed the 2011 action film “The Raid: Redemption” that starred Iko Uwais. The movie was praised for its unique action sequences and thrilling scenes, and was acquired for the U.S. by Sony Pictures Classics. The sequel, “The Raid 2” also written and directed by Evans, was released in 2014.

Evans next up has period thriller “Apostle,” about a mysterious man who travels to a remote island and attempts to rescue his sister after she’s kidnapped by a religious cult. Netflix is distributing “Apostle.”

Evans is repped by WME and Management 360.
Old 10-25-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Sure might as well add another project to the seemingly endless slate of announced but in development hell DC films. I do like the character but I think there’s too much stock being put in all these side characters and particularly villains getting movies.
Old 10-25-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The Raid films are among the best action movies made in recent years. If they let Evans do his thing this could be fantastic.
Old 10-25-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I can't believe it took all of 5 posts for Mike86 to shit on this

Any way, can't wait Great character and Evans is amazing.
Old 10-25-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... DC decided to try cash in after Deadpool's success since Deadpool is actually copied off from Deathstroke.
Old 10-25-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I can't believe it took all of 5 posts for Mike86 to shit on this

Any way, can't wait Great character and Evans is amazing.
I’m actually somewhat interested in it but it is true. Look at all the announced films they have that are seemingly going nowhere. I don’t mind Deathstroke as a character but I don’t think it’s necessary for every villain to get a film. I mean so far we’ve heard rumors for films for Deadshot, Harley Quinn, Harley Quinn and Joker (not sure if this and the other Harley film are supposed to be the same thing), the Todd Phillips Joker film, a Suicide Squad sequel, Gotham City Sirens, and Lobo has been talked about. It feels excessive. I’d feel the same way if Marvel tried it and already feel the same about the Sony Spider-Man spinoffs.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-25-17 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m actually somewhat interested in it but it is true. Look at all the announced films they have that are seemingly going nowhere.
So far, only two (Flash & Cyborg). Every thing is scheduled or in pre-production (Batman, Shazam, Gotham City Sirens, Suicide Squad 2, etc.), or have only had preliminary announcements, like Deathstroke.

You're making this entirely too easy.
Old 10-25-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far, only two (Flash & Cyborg). Every thing is scheduled or in pre-production (Batman, Shazam, Gotham City Sirens, Suicide Squad 2, etc.), or have only had preliminary announcements, like Deathstroke.

You're making this entirely too easy.
Too easy for what? That’s exactly my point. All these preliminary announcements that are on this slate of films that don’t seem to be moving forward. I bet half those I mentioned don’t get made. This might have a shot since they have an actor attached as well as a director but I’ll still believe it when I see it.
Old 10-26-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Deathstroke and Gareth?

Old 10-26-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Too easy for what? That’s exactly my point. All these preliminary announcements that are on this slate of films that don’t seem to be moving forward. I bet half those I mentioned don’t get made. This might have a shot since they have an actor attached as well as a director but I’ll still believe it when I see it.
Other than the aforementioned Flash and Cyborg, where is this onslaught of films that "don't seem to be moving forward"?

I'll give you credit for consistency though
Old 10-26-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This won't get made. Deadpool has that added value of comedy. Deathstroke, not so much.

I think they keep announcing stuff just to see what the reaction will be and then decide if they want to move forward. They have 19 movies announced as in development after JL!
Old 10-26-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than the aforementioned Flash and Cyborg, where is this onslaught of films that "don't seem to be moving forward"?

I'll give you credit for consistency though
Here is the DC Slate:

Target Dates:

Aquaman (2018)
Shazam! (2019)
Wonder Woman 2 (2019)
Cyborg (2020)
Green Lantern Corps (2020)

Undated films
4.1 Batgirl
4.2 The Batman
4.3 Flashpoint
4.4 Gotham City Sirens
4.5 Justice League Dark
4.6 Nightwing
4.7 Suicide Squad 2
4.8 Untitled Black Adam film
4.9 Untitled Deadshot film
4.10 Untitled Deathstroke film
4.11 Untitled Harley Quinn and the Joker film
4.12 Untitled Justice League sequel
4.13 Untitled Lobo film
4.14 Untitled Man of Steel sequel
Old 10-26-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. They keep announcing all these films yet look at the number actually in development over the amount that have been announced. Even of the films actually announced I think one (Aquaman) actually has a firm release date. It’s not trying to be a hater it’s pointing out a simple fact. I think some people also have this agenda particularly against me because I’ve been vocal about a lot of the decisions made with these films thus far and of course I just hate DC. I want good films. There’s been one so far. Before piling on more to your list why not actually get some of what’s supposedly slated actually in production? I await the snide comments against this post though.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-26-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Here is the DC Slate:

Target Dates:

Aquaman (2018)
Shazam! (2019)
Wonder Woman 2 (2019)
Cyborg (2020)

Undated films
4.1 Batgirl
4.2 The Batman
4.3 Flashpoint
4.4 Gotham City Sirens
4.5 Justice League Dark
4.6 Nightwing
4.7 Suicide Squad 2
4.13 Untitled Lobo film

You forgot the Joker Origin Movie
Old 10-26-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
You forgot the Joker Origin Movie
And that ....
Old 10-26-17, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

So is Affleck going to make an appearance?
Old 10-26-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I'd be interested only if it leads towards live action Teen Titans. It would be interesting for Judas Contract to be seen from Deathstroke's eyes... except for the pedo thing with Terra.
Old 10-26-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
So is Affleck going to make an appearance?
I'm 99% certain Affleck is done after Justice League otherwise we'd be hearing a lot more about him being in The Batman. We'll find out one way or another once JL is out of theaters, maybe even after it comes out on home video in March or April.
Old 10-26-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Here is the DC Slate:

Target Dates:

Aquaman (2018)
Shazam! (2019)
Wonder Woman 2 (2019)
Cyborg (2020)

Undated films
4.1 Batgirl
4.2 The Batman
4.3 Flashpoint
4.4 Gotham City Sirens
4.5 Justice League Dark
4.6 Nightwing
4.7 Suicide Squad 2
4.13 Untitled Lobo film
Cyborg, Black Adam (given The Rock has 500 projects in the next few years), Deadshot and Lobo aren't happening. As for something like Justice League 2, that's not going to happen until 2021 if not later. I also question if a solo Joker movie will take off. And wouldn't surprise me if Warner chooses to do Gotham City Sirens or the Harley/Joker movie.

Personally, the only ones guaranteed are The Batman, Wonder Woman 2, Flashpoint (could even morph into a Justice League movie given Wonder Woman and Aquaman are intricate to the plot), Shazam and Suicide Squad considering its international box office. Maybe Batgirl as a reward to Whedon stepping in to direct JL.
Old 10-26-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Some of y'all act like this is just a DC/WB thing. Studios announce movies all the time, that may or may not be made.

The Rock signs on for tons of movies, and where is Doc Savage at? big trouble in little china remake? That shit is in the wind.
Old 10-26-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say Man of Steel 2, Suicide Squad 2, The Batman, WW2, and Justice League 2 are most likely. I want to say Flashpoint, but they have struggled using that character for so long it's going to depend on what people think of him in JL. By the time they get to a Deathstroke movie Manganiello will probably be 10 years older than when they first approached him and not interested.

I AM surprised they have not announced a Green Arrow film. Deathstroke should be used in either that or a Batman film. I was sad to hear him cut from The Batman, as I was looking forward to that.
Old 10-26-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Some of y'all act like this is just a DC/WB thing. Studios announce movies all the time, that may or may not be made.

The Rock signs on for tons of movies, and where is Doc Savage at? big trouble in little china remake? That shit is in the wind.
I think there’s a difference between a studio announcing a couple random projects here and there that don’t pan out versus a rather large slate of films that are supposed to be (or not because who knows) part of a series of films. If they’re building their universe I just think it would be good if some of these actually started rather than trying to build hype with fans by announcing a bunch of films that may or may not happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.