TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Once Upon a Time (ABC) -- Season 7 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Once Upon a Time (ABC) -- Season 7 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/17

SEASON PREMIERE

HENRY MILLS EMBARKS ON A NEW JOURNEY WHERE ADVENTURE AWAITS AND DANGER LOOMS, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'ONCE UPON A TIME'

"Hyperion Heights" - As "Once Upon a Time" returns to ABC for its seventh season, FRIDAY, OCTOBER 6 (8:00-9:01 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, the residents of the enchanted forest face their greatest challenge yet, as the Evil Queen, Captain Hook and Rumpelstiltskin join forces with a grown-up Henry Mills and his daughter Lucy on an epic quest to bring hope to their world and ours. Creators Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz ("Lost," "Tron: Legacy") invite you to take part in the journey as new fairy tale characters and old search for true love, find adventure and take sides in the ongoing struggle of good against evil.

In the season premiere episode, Henry leaves Storybrooke in search of his own story. Years later in another realm, he encounters a troubled Cinderella, changing the trajectory of his quest forever. When Cinderella's evil step-mother, Lady Tremaine, poses a threat, Henry discovers that following his heart will require him to make more difficult choices than he ever could have imagined. Years later, a young Lucy finds a disillusioned Henry at his home in Seattle, determined to make him remember his true self in order to defeat the curse afflicting the fairytale characters of "Hyperion Heights."

"Once Upon a Time" stars Lana Parrilla as Regina/Roni, Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin, Colin O'Donoghue as Hook/Rogers, Andrew J. West as Henry Mills, Gabrielle Anwar as Lady Tremaine/Victoria Belfrey, Dania Ramirez as Cinderella/Jacinda and Alison Fernandez as Lucy.

Guest starring are Jared S. Gilmore as Young Henry, Mekia Cox as Sabine/Tiana, Rose Reynolds as Alice, Adelaide Kane as Drizella/Ivy, Daniel Jeffrey as Carl, Liam Hall as The Prince, Jillian Fargey as The Fairy Godmother and Darcy Laurie as Louie.

"Hyperion Heights" was written by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz directed by Ralph Hemecker.

7th season premieres tonight.

Supposedly this is a complete reboot with new cast members and some returning. Jennifer Morrison, who was the lead for the first 6 seasons, left the show and is guest starring in 1 episode (next week)

The 6th season thread was completely dead, so it looks like no one in this forum is watching anymore. Sad, this used to be a relatively popular show here for the 1st couple of seasons. Oh well, I'm putting this out there in case anyone still is and wants to chime in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2cHN1K_BlWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-07-17, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time (ABC) -- Season 7 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/17

I watched out of curiosity to see what they do with the show. Couldn't hold my interest, I kept switching channels.
While the first six seasons could definitely be categorized as family tv, this seemed like something from The Hallmark Channel.
The one cool thing was having a motorcycle in the enchanted realm.

The new story in a nutshell.

This time Cinderella's evil step mother causes the curse sending everybody to Seattle with no memory of who they are. Regina owns a bar. Cinderella is single mom working in a chicken shack. Hook is a uniform cop. The evil stepmother is working to separate them so they are spread out all over the country and can't organize against her if they start to remember.
Rumple is a plains clothes detective. Hook gets promoted and they become partners.
All other characters are MIA.
Unclear if Rumple retains his memory like first time. Probably does.
Old 10-07-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I was bored watching this. This might as well be a spinoff because of how different it is. I didn't care for the actress playing Cinderella, and I don't like the idea of there being different versions of the same story on the same series. Couldn't they have come up with storybook characters we haven't already seen on this show? I noticed Hook has 2 hands in Hyperion Heights, although his left one was always covered with a black glove and he didn't use it much. I caught at least 2 nods to Lost: Henry's apartment number is 815, and the chicken shack where Cinderella works is called Mr. Cluck's. Have a cluckety-cluck-cluck day!
Old 10-07-17, 01:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Watched all six seasons. Gave this a shot but I'm gonna pass. Just didn't hold my interest. I also don't like the different version fairy tales idea or the replacement actors for Cinderella or Alice.
Old 10-07-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't be safe wearing a puffy dress on a motorbike. So Henry trusts the lady that robs him and says she is going to kill the Prince. The time jumps had me confused. So far I'm not liking the change in location. Only a few locations were actually in Seattle. Izombie does a better job of this but I'm not sure how since it must cost a lot to film in Seattle.

First episode was boring. I really wish they went with Mulan. Aren't they missing a step sister also? And where does Henry get gas from in fantasy land.

The only good thing is the major cuts to the cast. I wish they mixed it up even more though or promoted some of the lesser used actors.
Old 10-08-17, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
And where does Henry get gas from in fantasy land.
I thought the same thing. It seems he either can create a portal, or is aware of a regular occurring one and fills up every time he crosses through is my guess.
Old 10-09-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I gave it ten minutes before I realized it was a complete reboot of the series and quit watching. I wasn't impressed with their choice for Cinderella or any of the cast I briefly glimpsed.
Old 10-09-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh yeah I guess Cinderella is Snow White. Step mother is new Regina. Henry is the new Prince Charming. Regina is new Granny. Little girl is new Henry.

Yeah they are just repeating the same story.
Old 10-09-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, I thought they ended the series in Season 6. Then they decided to go ahead on new season with new storyline? It's like they're beating dead horse or trying hard to milk every ounce of money from this series.

Will I watch it? I don't know...
Old 10-14-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Watched the second episode just to see Emma one last time and learn why she won't be in the show anymore but Hook will. Didn't like the explanation or the previews for the next episode. I think I'm done with this series.
Old 12-25-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I binge-watched this and I somewhat surprisingly like it despite its flaws. It's still unclear what the witches coven gets out of all this.

Not a fan of the current Cinderella, her hoarse voice is annoying. She shouldn't have been able to drive that motorcycle after just a quick intro and no practice. Where she got her sword fighting skills isn't clear either.

I didn't recognize Gabrielle Anwar at first, the super-short hair and ugly lip job (de rigeur among aging actresses) got in the way.
Old 02-06-18, 02:07 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Once Upon a Time to end after season 7
http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/06/once-upo..._medium=social
Old 02-06-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I was very surprised that the show got a 7th season, so not surprised that this is the end for it. After several of the main cast members left, the show wasn't nearly as good, and this season seemed like a retread.
Old 02-06-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Seven years is a good run. Still on the fence if they should have just ended it at season six with this news.
Old 02-06-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I was very surprised that the show got a 7th season, so not surprised that this is the end for it. After several of the main cast members left, the show wasn't nearly as good, and this season seemed like a retread.
Same here. Should've just ended it with 6 seasons after most of the cast left.
Old 02-06-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I stopped watching after the Frozen arc, which I did enjoy.

Kind of sad that this show is basically ending on a whimper. It was a very successful show on Sunday nights at one point.

7 years was just too long for this series.
Old 02-06-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That Frozen arc was probably the show's strongest stretch. I kept watching but probably should have dropped it after Frozen.
Old 02-07-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The actresses playing the leads for the Frozen arc were excellent, but for me that is when the rest of the series started going downhill. They seemed to have no idea how they wanted to end the Frozen story and they did a real bad job of incorporating the other characters. I always thought they should have created a Frozen spin-off like they did with Alice and kept the original alone. We'll never know now, but I suspect this series could have still been going well had they not lost the original focus on stories for the four or five major characters. The lack of focus started with Frozen.
Old 12-25-18, 08:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

My wife and I just started watching Season 7, we both feel like they should've ended it with Season 6, it would've been a perfect ending for this series. Hate the new Cinderella, the story is too confusing, we're on episode 4 and I'm thinking I wasted my money on this, wish something would actually happen to move the story on. I'll probably sell it and hope to recoup part of my loss. We liked Seasons 1 thru 6 even though there were times we wished they'd get on with it, in the end it was a pretty satisfying run. But neither of us is liking Season 7 so far...
Old 12-26-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Season seven was practically a spin-off foisted on viewers. I gave up after the first commercial break in the first episode.