TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fresh off the Boat (ABC) -- Season 4 Thread -- Premieres 10/3/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Fresh off the Boat (ABC) -- Season 4 Thread -- Premieres 10/3/17

SEASON PREMIERE

JESSICA ACHIEVES HER DREAM OF COMPETING ON 'WHEEL OF FORTUNE'; MEANWHILE THE HUANGS ARE STILL HOMELESS, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'FRESH OFF THE BOAT'

Pat Sajak, Vanna White and Michael Bolton Appear as Themselves

New Time Period, Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. ET

"B as in Best Friends" - Still homeless, the Huangs move in with Honey and Marvin. Jessica's dreams come true when she gets a chance to compete on "Wheel of Fortune" during Best Friends Week with Honey. Eddie starts high school and is still on the outs with his pals but finds unexpected sympathy from Nicole. Michael Bolton offers to step in at the restaurant to give Louis more time with his family, but does he have an ulterior motive? The season premiere of ABC's "Fresh Off the Boat" airs on TUESDAY, OCTOBER 3 (8:30-9:00 p.m. EDT).

Inspired by a true story, "Fresh Off the Boat" stars Randall Park as Louis, Constance Wu as Jessica, Hudson Yang as Eddie, Forrest Wheeler as Emery, Ian Chen as Evan, Lucille Soong as Grandma Huang, Chelsey Crisp as Honey and Ray Wise as Marvin.

Pat Sajak, Vanna White and Michael Bolton all appear as themselves. Also guest starring are Chris Elliott as Adam, Luna Blaise as Nicole, Prophet Bolden as Walter, Trevor Larcom as Trent, Dash Williams as Brian, Evan Hannemann as Barefoot Dave, Noel Gugliemi as Hector and Jim Bentley as Murray.

"B as in Best Friends" was written by David Smithyman and directed by Bill Purple.

I caught up with FOB via Hulu this past summer. Season 3 was fun and I enjoyed the whole arc with them getting more money from the restaurant partnering with Michael Bolton and then moving to a new home.

The cliffhanger was interesting with them losing their original home after moving back.

If any of you watch Huang's World on Viceland, the real Eddie Huang hosts it and his real family is showcased on it a lot. It's a really fun travelogue series and Eddie is great.

The real Jessica is actually a smoker. She was puffing cigarettes when she and Eddie went shopping in 1 episode.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-15-17 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-03-17, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Fresh off the Boat (ABC) -- Season 4 Thread -- Premieres 10/3/17

I finally watched the first season on hulu this summer after watching season two in real time. I'm ready for the new season. Will they figure out a way to get back into their old house or is it time for a new set?
Old 10-10-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Finally caught up with the 1st episode last night.

Jessica and Honey appearing on Wheel of Fortune was hilarious. Only trouble, you couldn't de-age Pat Sajak and Vanna White to make them look like they did 20 years ago.

Hudson Yang is getting tall now and is obviously going through puberty. His voice is very hoarse. He might be taller than the real Eddie Huang now.

I when Eddie's jaw dropped with fascination when Nicole confessed that she's gay.
Old 10-10-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The thing I didn't like about the first episode was that asians are more stereotypically grateful and humble staying over elsewhere
Old 10-10-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The real Jessica is actually a smoker. She was puffing cigarettes when she and Eddie went shopping in 1 episode.
So, they just changed her from a smoker into someone who's smoking hot?

I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiter.
Old 10-15-17, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk God

It was good that Eddie and his friends finally made up this past week. I was getting tired of that conflict.
Old 10-15-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't like his breakup with Alison, but she wasn't doing much either. Nicole liking girls adds a little something fun though Eddie's puberty and voice change is really throwing me off.
Old 10-15-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't care for the football episode this past week.
Old 10-16-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Honey keeps looking better and better.

The show is still hysterical. I love the show Kenny Roger's Michael Bolton's Cattlemans Ranch thing. Eddie is a little creepy with how he grew 3 feet between seasons though haha.
Old 10-16-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

This was one of the shows that got beat by Modern Family when it came time to hand out the Emmy's...a damn shame, plenty of folks feel shows like this one were robbed by the academy. I had to laugh that even though Eddie handled the revelation from Nicole pretty darn well, she still wanted to kick him to the curb before the cool kids in school would see her in the car with him.
Old 10-16-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone even know or care about concussions in football back then? I think not.

Sad to see Alison go, I actually liked her character, it was nice to see Eddie actually be the one with the girlfriend in his group.

I liked seeing Michael Bolton, but I can't see Kenny Rogers appearing. Talk about Pat and Vanna, with all of the plastic surgery that Kenny's had, he would (and does) look awful. I did enjoy Jessica's line about Kenny making love to Dolly....right....now.

Damn, Grandma loves that red Gatorade...
Old 10-26-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far out of all the Halloween themed TV episodes this one was my favorite. Loved George Takei as the guest star.
Old 02-07-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. They really knocked it out of the park last night with Jessica and Evan's Mandarin battle. Thankfully they got (Korean-American) Randall Park out of it early. I barely know half a dozen Mandarin words, but I knew enough to tell his pronunciation was horrible. The ultimate resolution was pure evil on Jessica's part, and I laughed the whole way.

I try not to get hung up on anachronisms or continuity errors (otherwise I'd be done with The Goldbergs after half an episode), but did anyone else notice a big plot hole in last week's Michelle Kwan-centered episode? As in, Jessica taped the ladies' free skate while the kids were at school, then destroyed the tape when Kwan came in second. But the ladies' final is always broadcast in prime time as it's the highlight of the Games.
Old 02-08-18, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I loved the Mandarin battle and I love that Jessica was not going to back down under any circumstances.

I didn't remember the women's figure skating being broadcast in prime time! I originally figured they would tackle the racially questionable headlines that popped up after Kwan lost. I distinctly remember the headlines that read "American beats Kwan" as if Michelle Kwan wasn't an American citizen.
Old 02-08-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff

I try not to get hung up on anachronisms or continuity errors (otherwise I'd be done with The Goldbergs after half an episode), but did anyone else notice a big plot hole in last week's Michelle Kwan-centered episode? As in, Jessica taped the ladies' free skate while the kids were at school, then destroyed the tape when Kwan came in second. But the ladies' final is always broadcast in prime time as it's the highlight of the Games.
That's not a plot hole.
Old 02-09-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excuse me. Historical inaccuracy.
Old 03-20-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk God

So apparently tonight (episode 19) is the season finale. Wow, so fast.

Really strange that the season is ending now. Guessing the show had a budget cut this year. Last year was 23 episodes and the year before was 24.

Edit: Looked it up and the season was cut short to fit Roseanne into the schedule.

I watch FOTB and like it, but I'm not really compelled to talk about what I just saw. So I get why this thread has been very quiet this season.
Old 03-21-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Another great season. This has to be the most under appreciated sitcom on network TV. I really, really, really hope it gets a season 5 renewal.
Old 03-21-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

It's easily my favorite sitcom on network TV. Great cast and some of the best child actors (who are actually well written) of any show.
Old 03-21-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So apparently tonight (episode 19) is the season finale. Wow, so fast.

Really strange that the season is ending now. Guessing the show had a budget cut this year. Last year was 23 episodes and the year before was 24.

Edit: Looked it up and the season was cut short to fit Roseanne into the schedule.

I watch FOTB and like it, but I'm not really compelled to talk about what I just saw. So I get why this thread has been very quiet this season.
Last nights episode was the season finale, not bad as it ended on a high note. The visual gag with the clown in the hospital was fantastic. I also love when Eddie said something like I need to find those Bi-Goddesses or something like that and his parents look at him without having to voice the what the heck did he just say reaction to his words, as their expressions (or lack thereof) said it all.
Old 03-21-18, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, Jessica had a hilarious line about Eddie and his high school dance experience (he also mentioned returning the skirt he wore), something along the lines of "This is what you need to address when I'm gone, Louis!"

I too am hoping for a return of the Huang family in September. Perhaps it's a good sign that last night's finale was a fairly normal episode, and not written as a potential series-ender. See: both finales of Dr. Ken, which clearly were written in case of non-renewal, accurate the second time.