Reload this Page >

SEAL Team (now on Paramount+) -- S: David Boreanaz -- Premieres 9/27/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-27-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts

"SEAL TEAM," A NEW MILITARY DRAMA THAT FOLLOWS THE PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL LIVES OF THE MOST ELITE UNIT OF NAVY SEALS AS THEY TRAIN, PLAN AND EXECUTE THE MOST DANGEROUS MISSIONS, PREMIERES WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 27

David Boreanaz, Max Thieriot, Neil Brown Jr., AJ Buckley, Toni Trucks and Jessica Paré Star

"Tip of the Spear" - The most elite unit of Navy SEALs must navigate their professional and personal lives as they train, plan and execute the most dangerous, high stakes missions our country can ask of them, on the series premiere of SEAL TEAM, Wednesday, Sept. 27 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Jason Hayes is the respected, intense leader of the Tier One team whose home life has suffered as a result of his extensive warrior's existence. His team includes his trusted confidant, Ray, the longest-tenured operator with whom Jason shares an ingrained shorthand, and Sonny, an exceptional, loyal soldier with a checkered past who still combats self-destructive tendencies. Undergoing additional rigorous training in the hope of joining Hayes' select unit is Clay Spenser, a young, multi-lingual second generation SEAL with insatiable drive and dedication. Vital to the team's success are CIA analyst Mandy Ellis, who has sacrificed everything in her drive to root out evil and take down terrorists, and Davis, a no-nonsense, take-charge logistics officer and unofficial den mother responsible for outfitting the team with the necessary gear for each mission. Deployed on clandestine missions worldwide at a moment's notice, and knowing the toll it takes on them and their families, this tight-knit SEAL team displays unwavering patriotism and fearless dedication even in the face of overwhelming odds.

REGULAR CAST:

David Boreanaz (Jason Hayes)
Max Thieriot (Clay Spenser)
Neil Brown Jr. (Ray)
AJ Buckley (Sonny)
Toni Trucks (Davis)
Jessica Paré (Mandy Ellis)
GUEST CAST:

Daniel Gilles (Nate Massey)
Judd Lormand (Lt. Commander Eric Blackburn)
Michael Rooker (Big Chief)
Reiko Aylesworth (Dr. Julie Kruger)
Michaela McManus (Alana Hayes)
Kerri Medders (Emma Hayes)
Hunter Wilson (Randy)
Parisa Fakhri (Naima)
Ron Rogge (Captain Bryce)
Ahmed Lucan (Abu Khaled Al-Masri)
Donald Paul (General Lionheart)
Michael Scott (Tech Tim)
Ty Olsson (Bohunk (Martin)
)
Sylvia Grace Crim (Woman)
Nick Gomez (Val)
Zailand Adams (Lionheart's Child Soldier)
Julie Michaels (Stacy Mitchell)
Kelton Dumont (Conor Hayes)
Darcie Isabella Cottrell (Jameelah)
Cecilia Quinan (Naima's Mom)
Alexis Genya (Nate's Mom)
WRITTEN BY: Benjamin Cavell

DIRECTED BY: Christopher Chulack

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wKMPAOGIA7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-27-17, 03:57 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
re: SEAL Team (now on Paramount+) -- S: David Boreanaz -- Premieres 9/27/17

Reading the description it just sounds like they took "Six" and just changed the character names.
Old 09-27-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Jim Caviezel was originally cast in the role Boreanaz is playing when the Pilot was about to go into production in March:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/jim-cavi...ot-1202043184/

But, left about 1 week later due to "Creative Differences" and then Boreanaz was cast:

http://deadline.com/2017/03/david-bo...el-1202048676/
Old 09-27-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Probably would have watched with Caviezel. Don't care about Boreanz, so this is a pass.
Old 09-27-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Normally I would like a show in this genre, but it looks like it’s trying too hard (from what I see in the commercials).

And there will probably be a lot of plot cliches that have been done many times before. For example, a pregnant wife becomes a widow, a spouse will have an affair, etc...
Old 09-27-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Jim Caviezel was originally cast in the role Boreanaz is playing when the Pilot was about to go into production in March:
For a split second I thought you meant John Cazale, which I definitely would have tuned in to see.
Old 09-27-17, 07:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

upgrade. Caviezel has the charisma of a fart in a spacesuit.
Old 09-27-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll given it a peek being I've always liked David in other shows but the setting seems a little played out. We have had a steady steam of spec op like shows for the last 10 years or so here and there. All of them fallow the same military mission of the week sort of theme and run out of story lines almost right away.
Even The Unit started to chunk along that last season or so and I really liked that show when it aired.

I still don't understand the nature of how networks greenline and cancel shows that seem to over lap in theme. The Player, Intelligence with Josh Holloway of Lost fame and Almost Human with Karl Urban all were spec op/swat like themed shows with way more story line options in their settings. All canceled in one season.

So now it's a show of just a random Spec Op team with David Boreanaz? Errr ok.
Then again this is on CBS, maybe we should thank full it's not just Chicago:Urban Spec Ops. How many shows can NBC squeeze out of one city!!?
Old 09-27-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
Then again this is on CBS, maybe we should thank full it's not just Chicago:Urban Spec Ops. How many shows can NBC squeeze out of one city!!?
I'm waiting for Chicago: Underground (kidding, not kidding).

It would be interesting to see the Chicago criminal underworld succeed at committing crimes, on a weekly basis.
Old 09-27-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched the first ep, it was about as cliché as one can make a network tv show for this theme. I don't want to list them all being it would be spoilers but they are all in this ep. Like......... all of them.

This being on CBS, I have no idea how it will with their demo market but show wise it was pretty bad. It did not make up for the played out story line with high production value either. Granted, I'm a bit bias being a fan of The Unit and how well that was cast from a stereo type mil-spec like vibe. Where as I don't really see Jessica Pare as a some seal team level CIA shot caller, at all.

but bonus points for Spec-op pupper POV cam, I've never seen that before on a show.
Old 09-28-17, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Just finished it late tonight before bed.

It was okay. Kind of low key for a big premiere introducing these characters. Not much action. I think there were only 2 sequences. It's very similar to the History channel show SIX with a little bit of The Unit. Definitely had some of the cliches we've seen on previous shows like this with Jason being a decorated soldier married to his job with a shitty home life and an ex-wife.

It's funny seeing AJ Buckley in this. I know him from CSI NY and his appearance his changed a lot since that show ended. I think he's really hit the gym. He goes from hipster lab geek:

To bulked up badass Military guy:

It's in between 2 shows I already watch....Survivor and Criminal Minds. I'll give it another whirl next week. But, can't say I was blown away.
Old 09-28-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I only saw the last 30 minutes, but I found it surprisingly good for action & suspense.
Old 09-28-17, 12:23 PM

Just finished it late tonight before bed.

It was okay. Kind of low key for a big premiere introducing these characters. Not much action. I think there were only 2 sequences. It's very similar to the History channel show SIX with a little bit of The Unit. Definitely had some of the cliches we've seen on previous shows like this with Jason being a decorated soldier married to his job with a shitty home life and an ex-wife.

It's funny seeing AJ Buckley in this. I know him from CSI NY and his appearance his changed a lot since that show ended. I think he's really hit the gym. He goes from hipster lab geek:

To bulked up badass Military guy:

It's in between 2 shows I already watch....Survivor and Criminal Minds. I'll give it another whirl next week. But, can't say I was blown away.
I'll probably keep watching as there's not much competition at that time slot. Tho unlike you I have to change channels, Blacklist, Seal Team then on to Designated Survivor. I guess I'm an equal network watcher.
Old 09-29-17, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...20170928cbs03/

In case you missed the premiere, it will re-air on CBS this Sunday at 10:30pm ET/10pm PT. Check your local listings

The 1st episode was the most watched show Wednesday night

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...20170928cbs01/

At 9:00 PM, the series premiere of SEAL TEAM was first in viewers (9.70m) and averaged 1.5 in A18-49 and 2.2 in A25-54. SEAL TEAM was Wednesday's most watched program with its audience projected to increase to nearly 14 million viewers with 7-day viewing. SEAL TEAM improved its viewer lead-in by +20% while delivering the time period's largest audience since March 23, 2016.
Old 09-29-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It was decent, with well staged action. We'll keep watching.
Old 09-29-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts

Shit, that was the guy from CSI NY? I didn't even recognize him. Decent pilot; we'll see how this fares with Brave. Both are similar.
Old 09-29-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I just can't watch CBS procedural shows. They are all the same paint by numbers plots.
Old 09-29-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I just can't watch CBS procedural shows. They are all the same paint by numbers plots.
Same here. I figure it's all 50 year olds who watch this stuff, who want "comfort food" tv. I'll off myself if I end up watching shit like this when I get to that age.
Old 09-29-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

He left a hipster and returned Giovanni Ribisi with pecs.
Old 09-29-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Same here. I figure it's all 50 year olds who watch this stuff, who want "comfort food" tv. I'll off myself if I end up watching shit like this when I get to that age.
Don't worry, these are the same now 50+ year olds that thought The A-Team was great television in the 80s. I'll never forget seeing my friends' families huddling around the TV for A-Team, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard, and all of the other horrible, horrible television shows of the day and wondering what sort of dark spell had been cast upon them. Trust me, there were plenty of people who were self-aware enough to know that the worst parts of the '80s were that bad even when living within the era.

Now, there are people today that fawn over equivalently awful shows, so I think the blame lies more with the individual than the times. That leads me to believe that if you recognize tripe today you will likely recognize it when you reach your 50s.
Old 09-29-17, 03:48 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was a huge Angel fan, watched the first season of Bones but then kicked it to the curb

Problem for me is i haven't seen Boreanaz on TV for a decade and he looks so old now! not quite as bad as Freddie prinze jnr

I'm sure i will adjust after a few episodes
Old 09-29-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Don't worry, these are the same now 50+ year olds that thought The A-Team was great television in the 80s. I'll never forget seeing my friends' families huddling around the TV for A-Team, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard, and all of the other horrible, horrible television shows of the day and wondering what sort of dark spell had been cast upon them. Trust me, there were plenty of people who were self-aware enough to know that the worst parts of the '80s were that bad even when living within the era.

Now, there are people today that fawn over equivalently awful shows, so I think the blame lies more with the individual than the times. That leads me to believe that if you recognize tripe today you will likely recognize it when you reach your 50s.
Here's hoping!
Old 09-30-17, 09:52 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

I thought the show was ok, certainly not ground-breaking or original but decent enough entertainment. Not must-watch television. However, the condescending "if you like this you have no taste" posts in this thread are annoying. We get it, you are the discerning viewers superior to us common folk.
Old 10-12-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvline.com/2017/10/12/seal-te...r-cbs-ratings/

Picked up for a full season (22 episodes)

Usually they will add 1 or 2 more on top of that depending on their scheduling needs.
Old 10-12-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welp, looks like David has another 8-10 season series on his hands.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.