Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Good Doctor (ABC) - S: Freddie Highmore -- From the creator of House -- 9/25/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Good Doctor (ABC) - S: Freddie Highmore -- From the creator of House -- 9/25/17

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
"The Good Doctor" -- ABC medical drama starring Freddie Highmore

Poor Freddie, playing another fucked up damage case.

The Good Doctor centers on Shaun Murphy (Highmore), a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome who relocates from a quiet country life to join a prestigious hospital’s surgical unit. Alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, Shaun uses his extraordinary medical gifts to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues.

The series also stars Antonia Thomas as Dr. Claire Brown, Nicholas Gonzalez as Dr. Neal Melendez, Chuku Modu as Dr. Jared Kalu, Irene Keng as Dr. Sarah Chen, Beau Garrett as Jessica Preston, Hill Harper as Dr. Marcus Andrews and Richard Schiff as Dr. Aaron Glassman.

Old 05-12-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: "The Good Doctor" -- ABC medical drama starring Freddie Highmore

I hate to be this way, but this sounds frigging ghastly. "Like a nice version of 'House'", I thought. Then I watched the teaser, and saw that it was from the people who gave us "House"...
Old 09-25-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

THE GOOD DOCTOR

Dr. Shaun Murphy (Freddie Highmore), a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome, relocates from a quiet country life to join the prestigious St. Bonaventure hospital’s surgical unit. Alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, his only advocate, Dr. Aaron Glassman (Richard Schiff), challenges the skepticism and prejudices of the hospital’s board and staff when he brings him in to join the team. Shaun will need to work harder than he ever has before, as he navigates his new environment and relationships to prove to his colleagues that his extraordinary medical gifts will save lives. The series is from David Shore (“House”), and “Lost” and “Hawaii Five-O” star Daniel Dae Kim.

The series stars Freddie Highmore as Dr. Shaun Murphy, Antonia Thomas as Dr. Claire Browne, Nicholas Gonzalez as Dr. Neil Melendez, Chuku Modu as Dr. Jared Kalu, Beau Garrett as Jessica Preston, Hill Harper as Dr. Marcus Andrews, Richard Schiff as Dr. Aaron Glassman and Tamlyn Tomita as Allegra Aoki.

The series is from Sony Pictures Television and ABC Studios. David Shore is writer and executive producer. Daniel Dae Kim, David Kim and Sebastian Lee are also executive producers. Seth Gordon directed the pilot and is also an executive producer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vagm-LNEDX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FYI, this show is based on a Korean TV series with the same title.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-25-17 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Good Doctor (ABC) - S: Freddie Highmore -- From the creator of House -- 9/25/

I really liked this. Highmore was great as Murphy. Did a great job portraying someone with autism.

I laughed and smiled a few times. It had heart and charm. It was interesting seeing Murphy's tragic past with her brother's death.

Some good supporting cast too. Richard Schiff, Hill Harper and Tamlyn Tomita, who is a favorite of mine.

I when Murphy talked shit to that Surgeon in the OR.

Usually medical shows don't get much talk here. I think the last one with any sort of following was House. Not sure if this is the kind of series that will have endless things to talk about, but I liked what I saw in the pilot.
Old 09-26-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Good Doctor (ABC) - S: Freddie Highmore -- From the creator of House -- 9/25/

We liked it too. My only complaints were I think they overdid the graphics like he had x-ray vision and knew exactly what was going on with no one even questioning him in the airport. Including a doctor.

I just hope it doesn't end up being where he's questioned in every episode and he'll always be right. The previews seem to show he doesn't.
Old 09-26-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Decent, but predictable, but the wife and her sister want to keep watching it.
Old 09-26-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

My Mom who has Alzheimer came in to my room asking me about the doctor in this show. I was trying to explain the condition (Autism) hie has. She thinks he is a normal Doctor.

Anyway I notice the same story lines that so far have been taken from the Korean Drama The Good Doctor (2013). The relationship between him & his brother, the plastic scalpel he carry with him that his brother gave him, & the president of the hospital who wants to hire him. I have not watched the episode yet just parts with my Mom because of all the questions she was asking me.

Ok just watched last nights episode. I guess the Afro American female doctor is going to be the one female doctor who always defends him & eventually falls in love with him.

Last edited by kahuna; 09-26-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked this a lot, this might be a show my wife may like so I'll tune in for a few more at least ...
Old 09-26-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
My Mom who has Alzheimer came in to my room asking me about the doctor in this show. I was trying to explain the condition (Autism) hie has. She thinks he is a normal Doctor.

Anyway I notice the same story lines that so far have been taken from the Korean Drama The Good Doctor (2013). The relationship between him & his brother, the plastic scalpel he carry with him that his brother gave him, & the president of the hospital who wants to hire him. I have not watched the episode yet just parts with my Mom because of all the questions she was asking me.

Ok just watched last nights episode. I guess the Afro American female doctor is going to be the one female doctor who always defends him & eventually falls in love with him.
I assume Daniel Dae Kim brought the K-drama to Shore (and received a Creator and EP credit for it). First season will likely have a lot in common.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-26-17 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I assume Daniel Dae Kim brought the K-drama to Shore (and received a Creator and EP credit for it). First season will likely have a lot in common.
I went back & re-watch the first episode of the Korean drama. The first episode is almost what was shown on the American version.

Link with English subs.
http://kissasian.ch/Drama/Good-Doctor/Episode-1?id=1021
Old 09-28-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Watched this last night. I enjoyed it. I thought Highmore did a tremendous job portraying someone with Autism. The boards, and Hill Harper's specifically, reluctance to hire him was believable to me. Richard Schiff is tremendous in everything he does. The only thing that bothered me was that Freddie Highmore looked so young. Unless I missed something, did Murphy skip grades/graduate early or did they just not address how young he looks?
Old 09-28-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I thought it was predictable and formulaic. It feels more like a CBS show to me than something that is usually on ABC. David Shore seems to have remixed the House formula hoping to find another hit.

Truthfully, the cast doesn't really grab me.
Old 09-28-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

We really enjoyed this as well. Haven't really had a medical drama hook us since er.

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I just hope it doesn't end up being where he's questioned in every episode and he'll always be right. The previews seem to show he doesn't.
House was a one trick pony that lasted for years so anything is possible.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Some good supporting cast too. Richard Schiff, Hill Harper and Tamlyn Tomita, who is a favorite of mine.
The supporting cast needs to be strong because Murphy isn't going to be the most charismatic lead.
Old 10-03-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm loving this. Great mix of heart and humor.

2nd episode was really good. I love Murphy's interactions with the hospital staff.

I guess Melendez is going to continue to be a dick/adversary to Murphy.

I at how he was trying to blame the bus being late for him being late to work and incessantly trying to justify that he was right.
Old 10-03-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2017/10/the-good...-1-1202181349/

Picked up for a full season today. Back 9 ordered.
Old 10-04-17, 03:49 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Seems formulaic and predictable, yet I enjoyed it. Episode 2 was pretty solid. Freddy has good chemistry with Astrid (Carly) better than the female doctor you would assume will be his love interest.
Old 10-04-17, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2017/10/the-good...-1-1202181349/

Picked up for a full season today. Back 9 ordered.
Err, back 5. Full season, but 5 not 9.

NBC did this with TIU last year and....makes no sense.
Old 10-04-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

So many glaring issues with the Pilot; I don't think I'll be coming back for another episode. Plus, seeing Freddie as anything other than Norman is damn near impossible for me at this point.
Old 10-04-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Err, back 5. Full season, but 5 not 9.

NBC did this with TIU last year and....makes no sense.
Ha...it was 9 yesterday. Guess she updated it.

It was probably changed to a back 5 for scheduling. American Idol is airing in March and will eat up multiple days in their schedule.
Old 10-04-17, 01:53 PM

My favorite new show, finally found an hour long one I can watch with my Wife who liked it a lot as well.

Glad it was picked up.
Old 10-04-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was episode 2 any better? Surprised to see I'm in the minority here. I thought the pilot was pretty awful.
Old 10-04-17, 02:24 PM

If you didn't like the Pilot, you won't like Ep 2, I liked both.

Think it's a very solid show appealing to the "House" kind of medical whodunit type of drama, with a genius type at the helm.
Old 10-04-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have preferred the genius opening a hospital show from last season stayed on air compared to this. Big fan of medical dramas but I couldn't get into this at all.
Old 10-11-17, 07:40 AM

Thought this ep was kinda weak, but overall I am still digging the show.
Old 10-15-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I like this show so far but yeah, episode 3 was just annoying. Also, it seems like it's just really low budget.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.