Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Whitehall: Travels With My Father (Netflix)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 07:09 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K4PihmWMaSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jack Whitehall: Travels With My Father follows the Brit comedian as he finishes the gap year he began in 2009 and had to cut short. Only this time, his travel companion is his unadventurous father Michael. They travel to odd locations and events in an attempt to strengthen their bond.
Old 10-03-17, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Jack Whitehall: Travels With My Father (Netflix)

Has anyone here tried sampling this show?

Never heard of Jack Whitehall, but noticed that this was a reality/travel series and they were doing episodes in Asia, so it caught my eye when I saw it on Netflix. The 1st couple of episodes are in Thailand and I love traveling there. I was just in Phuket this past summer and that was featured in this show.

I love the episodes that I've seen so far. The banter between Jack and his snooty/uptight father is hilarious. I think I'm 4 episodes in now. I'm at the episode where Jack and his Dad are heading into Cambodia.

I know this is probably not a priority show on anyone's viewing schedule due to the glut of shows on, but it's 6 episodes at 30 mins each. It's a breeze to watch. The travel locales are great and the chemistry/humor between Jack and Michael make it a pretty entertaining watch. I'll probably finish it before the week is up.
Old 10-03-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm enjoying it even though it seems so scripted that I would hesitate to call it a reality show. And maybe I'm just getting old but I find myself agreeing with the father more often than not that his son's an idiot.
Old 10-03-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll check this out, as I'm a sucker for travel shows, and I love that part of the world. I discovered Jack Whitehall through various Youtube videos (he's a frequent guest on Graham Norton) and he's a fairly well-known comedian/presenter in England. His girlfriend, Gemma Chan, is smokin' hot (she's the lead android on AMC's Humans)
Old 10-03-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Watched the first episode and it felt too scripted for my taste. With that said, it wasn't terrible and I did chuckle a few times.
Old 10-03-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Watched the first episode and it felt too scripted for my taste. With that said, it wasn't terrible and I did chuckle a few times.
Agreed. Everything is staged and faked for the cameras, but it is amusing at times. The father is such a grump.

Ironically, on my first night backpacking in Bangkok, me and my friends from the hostel ended up having drinks at the fancy rooftop bar where the Whitehalls dined. It's also where a scene from The Hangover 2 was filmed.
Old 10-04-17, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk God

I finished the season earlier today.

It kind of ran out of steam at the end. But, it was a light and breezy watch and I enjoyed the interactions between Jack and Michael even if they were staged/faked for the cameras. They seemed to develop a better bond towards the end.

I was surprised they managed to locate that Winston doll after losing it in Cambodia.

I at the end when Jack said he was postponing going back to England so he and his Dad could go to China and Michael said.....Fuck off.

I wouldn't mind another 6 episode season with them going somewhere else.
Old 09-28-18, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Season 2 premieres today 9/28 at 3am ET

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v28SBWLdSFY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last year comedian Jack Whitehall and his father Michael embarked on a South East Asian odyssey, fulfilling Jack’s lifelong dream of a gap year. Against all odds they both survived! This year they’re back on the road in Europe, but now it’s Michael taking the lead – and he has very different ideas... New episodes of Travels with My Father arrive 28th September.