Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Happened to Monday (2017, D: Wirkola) S: Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe, Glenn Close

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What Happened to Monday (2017, D: Wirkola) S: Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe, Glenn Close

Old 08-24-17, 07:30 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hOiWSWLt-NA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a not so distant future, where overpopulation and famine have forced governments to undertake a drastic "One Child Policy," seven identical sisters live a hide-and-seek existence pursued by the Child Allocation Bureau. The Bureau, directed by the fierce Nicolette Cayman (Glenn Close), enforces a strict family-planning agenda that the sisters outwit by taking turns assuming the identity of one person: Karen Settman (Noomi Rapace). Taught by their grandfather (Willem Dafoe) who raised and named them - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday - each can go outside once a week as their common identity, but are only free to be themselves in the prison of their own apartment. That is until, one day, Monday does not come home...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1536537

This recently got added to Netflix. Anyone check it out?
Old 08-24-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Re: What Happened to Monday (2017, D: Wirkola) S: Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe, Glenn C

I watched it right after it came out. Noomi gives it her all in creating seven distinct personalities, though they are a little cliché. Pretty violent in places. There's some plot holes like...

Spoiler:
Why did it take 30 years before the ruse started to fall apart. One would think it would've happened sooner like during late teen years.

And...

Spoiler:
They were supposed to keep each other appraised of things that happened.
Obviously that didn't happen. They should've been caught sooner. In 30 years none of them were too sick to make it out on their day?

Overall, I enjoyed it. Interesting concept and good acting, special effects.
Old 08-24-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: What Happened to Monday (2017, D: Wirkola) S: Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe, Glenn C

Yes I did; I thought it was pretty cool. The poster is sort of misleading. It gives the impression of some sort of matrix type of action. Not true at all.

I would give it a solid B. And agree with all of Tom's points above.

Last edited by d2cheer; 08-24-17 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's misleading (but true in one respect) but a cool poster.
Old 08-24-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I watched it the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since Orphan Black raised the bar so much on this kind of thing I didn't have high hopes but I was pleasantly surprised. It was an interesting concept for a movie.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Spoiler:
They were supposed to keep each other appraised of things that happened.
Obviously that didn't happen. They should've been caught sooner. In 30 years none of them were too sick to make it out on their day?
Quick point on this:

Spoiler:

In the scene where the one was puking, another offered to take her day. It was said in such a way that I figured they had done that before.
Old 08-24-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

I liked it. Thought Rapace gave a solid performance playing all seven sisters.
Old 08-24-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I watched it right after it came out. Noomi gives it her all in creating seven distinct personalities, though they are a little cliché. Pretty violent in places. There's some plot holes like...

Spoiler:
Why did it take 30 years before the ruse started to fall apart. One would think it would've happened sooner like during late teen years.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Interesting concept and good acting, special effects.

Spoiler:
I'd say it was pure luck and the way their grandfather kept hammering what they had to do. Obviously, it was Monday who fucked things up; fell in love and got pregnant. She didn't want them to go through what she did so she betrayed her sisters and made a deal for her babies not to be taken away. She thought her sisters were just going to be rounded up and put in cryogenic freeze. I don't think she knew the truth about the cryogenic facility until the end.
Old 08-24-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven

Quick point on this:

Spoiler:

In the scene where the one was puking, another offered to take her day. It was said in such a way that I figured they had done that before.
I must've missed that. Thanks.