Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sheep All Day. Party All Night - Horror (Reverse) Sheep Game

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-23-17, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a little unkind to present this Sheep game without just a word of friendly warning. I think it will thrill you. It may shock you. It might even horrify you. So if any of you feel that you'd not care to subject your nerves to such a strain, now's your chance to . . . well, the Sheepmaster warned you.

Welcome to Horror Movie Sheep 2017!

The basic rules:

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:
(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers, The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like “Name a great color.” Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our six players answered like this:

Players A, C and E said “Blue”
Players B and D said “Green”
Player D said “Chartreuse”

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The “Blue” players get -3 points (and the best answer). The “Green” players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like “Name a state on the Atlantic Coast.” Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said “Delaware”
Players F and B said “Maine”
Player C said “Texas”
Player A said “South Carolina”

The “Delaware” players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The “Maine” players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:
The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: “Name a professional golfer” A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: “Name a play by Shakespeare.” Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible.)
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as a wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers set info or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an S:; Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -20
2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
4+ Uniques are awarded -5 each

Slam Dunks {sd}: Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier.
In Reverse Sheep questions you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

For this game, “movie” refers to theatrically released films, not direct to video productions or TV movies, and “actor” is gender neutral.

Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}, and please place it after your answer (not before).

The Questions

1. R: Name a foreign-language ghost movie.
2. S: Name an actor who played Frankenstein (the man, not the monster) in a horror movie.
3. S: What is the best giallo? “Giallo” refers to a genre of Italian horror/suspense films that includes some of the earliest slasher movies.
4. S: Name one of Roger Corman's Edgar Allan Poe adaptations.
5. S: Name a song used in “An American Werewolf in London.”
6. S: What was the worst remake of a horror movie?
7. R: Name a movie based on a Clive Barker story or novel.
8. S: Name a zombie movie made before 1968.
9. S: What horror movie would you most like to see a sequel to?
10. S: Name a horror film with two or more horror movie stars in its cast.
11. S: What was the best horror movie of the 1990s?
12. S: Name a horror movie based on a comic or graphic novel.
13. R: Name a mummy movie. If necessary, specify the version by year, decade or main actor.
14. S: Name a host of a horror, or horror-themed, TV series.
15. S: Name a horror movie shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
16. R: Name a horror movie directed by David Cronenberg.
17. S: Name a movie about a female vampire.
18. S: Name a post-1980s slasher movie.
19. S: Name a horror movie produced by Val Lewton.
20. R: Name an actor who has played a major part in both a horror film and a “Star Wars” movie.

Last edited by GhostLee; 08-29-17 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Revised question.
Old 08-23-17, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Sheep All Day. Party All Night - Horror (Reverse) Sheep Game

I'll submit my first ten answers soon ... I'll hang on to the second ten just in case.

Seriously, thank you GhostLee! I'll submit answers tomorrow.
Old 08-24-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Those are all great questions, but you should have tightened the perimeters on Question 20, which is basically "name an actor in a Star Wars movie", as it's hard to think of anyone who hasn't appeared in a horror film at some point in their career.
Old 08-24-17, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Those are all great questions, but you should have tightened the perimeters on Question 20, which is basically "name an actor in a Star Wars movie", as it's hard to think of anyone who hasn't appeared in a horror film at some point in their career.
Good point. I'll try to fix that now; since there's only one player so far, and it won't affect their answer, the change shouldn't hurt.
Old 08-24-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

While I know more about horror than any other genre, I'm not sure that will help me with these sheep questions.

The reverses could be troublesome based on how you define "horror". Do you have a plan for that (like needing horror as a listed genre at some reference site) or will you just handle it as it comes?
Old 08-24-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Horrible answers submitted.
Old 08-24-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Ghastly answers submitted, thanks!
Old 08-24-17, 01:13 PM

Answers submitted! Thanks.
Old 08-24-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully questions will be open at least through the weekend. I'll submit eventually. I'm considering doing an "Ash Ketchum" for some of these and give answers to sheep questions that I know won't score well, just to give a shout out (and maybe spur discussion) about some lesser-known favorites of mine. And even if I don't do that, if my answers suck I can lie and say I did that to save face
Old 08-24-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Man, I thought I was a horror movie fan, but these questions are making me doubt my cred.
Old 08-24-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostLee
Good point. I'll try to fix that now; since there's only one player so far, and it won't affect their answer, the change shouldn't hurt.
What's "major"? The person has, at the very least, a line? Or is the main focal point?
Old 08-24-17, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
While I know more about horror than any other genre, I'm not sure that will help me with these sheep questions.

The reverses could be troublesome based on how you define "horror". Do you have a plan for that (like needing horror as a listed genre at some reference site) or will you just handle it as it comes?
My plan is to consult IMDb and Wikipedia if there's any debate over whether a movie is horror.
Old 08-24-17, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
What's "major"? The person has, at the very least, a line? Or is the main focal point?
I wouldn't say THE main focal point, but they should have more than a cameo - if that makes things any clearer.
Old 08-24-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Will send in answers a little later. Don't worry guys, I don't really watch Horror. So my answers should be subpar.
Old 08-24-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel like 19 is begging to be {sd} but do enough people know who Val Lewton is?
Old 08-24-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I feel like 19 is begging to be {sd} but do enough people know who Val Lewton is?
He played Grampa on The Munsters, right?

And of course a giallo is a type of Italian dessert!

As I said earlier, I fear this will be a game where knowledge isn't particularly helpful. Which is not at all a criticism of the questions
Old 08-24-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Giallo?

Old 08-24-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am throwing down the gauntlet ... I'm challenging anybody to knock me out of last place.

Flesh eating answers submitted (from inside the house).
Old 08-25-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

my terrible answers submitted. its a race to last place!
Old 08-25-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just caught the full title ... Thumbs up for the title! However thumbs down for going deep into the bowels of the horror world and not utilizing any questions where the movie referenced could be used.
Old 08-26-17, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I just caught the full title ... Thumbs up for the title! However thumbs down for going deep into the bowels of the horror world and not utilizing any questions where the movie referenced could be used.
"It's fun to be a sheep master."
Old 08-26-17, 03:02 PM

I'll be taking answers at least through the weekend. I've seen some good ones so far - and by good I mean sure to start debate.

There are the nine players right now:
Abob Teff
Boba Fett
Crocker Jarmen
DaveNinja
devilshalo
majorjoe23
rbrown498
wd40cloud
wishbone
Old 08-27-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ghoulish answers submitted.

Word of warning ... I'm going on a psycho killing spree if anyone matches me for #1, #13, or #20 (where I could think of dozens of correct answers for each).
Old 08-27-17, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Bad answers sent in. I had no idea which q's to use for SD's so I more of less picked a few.
Old 08-27-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Bad answers sent in. I had no idea which q's to use for SD's so I more of less picked a few.
Good plan! What's the worst that can happen?

Spoiler:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.