DVD Talk
MTV changing the iconic Moonman Statue to a Gender-Neutral Award [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : MTV changing the iconic Moonman Statue to a Gender-Neutral Award

JeffTheAlpaca
07-31-17, 06:32 PM
So they still have an awards show when they don't play music videos and now this?

In addition to some modified categories at this year's MTV Video Music Awards, the network announced a major change on how they will refer to their iconic trophy. In a new interview, MTV president Chris McCarthy said the iconic "Moonman" is out, and the "Moon Person" is in.

"Why should it be a man?" McCarthy told the New York Times. "It could be a man, it could be a woman, it could be transgender, it could be nonconformist."

The move comes after MTV eliminated gender-specific categories at both their refurbished MTV Movie & TV Awards and the upcoming Video Music Awards; the network replaced Best Male Video and Best Female Video with the new Artist of the Year award.

At the MTV Movie & TV Awards, the Best Actor in a Show and Best Actor in a Movie categories included both male and female nominees, with Stranger Things' Millie Bobby Brown and Beauty and the Beast's Emma Watson winning the awards.

"The first acting award in history that doesn't separate nominees based on their sex says something about how we perceive the human experience," Watson said during her acceptance speech. "Acting is about the ability to put yourself into someone else's shoes – and that doesn't have to be separated into two different categories."

McCarthy also revealed that MTV is currently developing a reality series showed We Are They about a group of gender-nonconforming young adults' coming-of-age moments.

Additionally, McCarthy detailed the network's plan to revive Total Request Live, which MTV initially announced in April. TRL will officially return to the network's studio overlooking Times Square in October, with a rotating cast of five co-hosts replacing stalwart Carson Daly. The show will air daily for an hour, but McCarthy hopes the program expands to two or three hours as it finds its footing.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/mtv-changing-vma-moonman-gender-144508151.html

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/aCvnW2EeLOHBawpBFbAkhw--/YXBwaWQ9eW15O3E9NzU7dz02NDA7c209MQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/rollingstone.com/9625dad0a3195125a77fb2c05995b7bb

Mike86
07-31-17, 07:07 PM
Isn't it already pretty neutral? I mean you can't really tell whether it's male or female. It just looks like a space suit. It's not like there's a male face or a big bulge in the pants or something.

islandclaws
07-31-17, 07:34 PM
Everything about that paragraph caused vomit to bubble up in my throat.

WTF kind of world are we living in?

JeffTheAlpaca
07-31-17, 08:24 PM
If they want to be progressive bring back music videos and music programming.

Bluelitespecial
07-31-17, 08:27 PM
Congratulations virtue signaling sjws morons who run MTV you really have lost your mind.

Jason
07-31-17, 08:35 PM
Everything about that paragraph caused vomit to bubble up in my throat.

WTF kind of world are we living in?

Oh noes, a pointless, made up award from an irrelevant lifestyle channel doesn't have a penis anymore! Where's my fainting couch?

Josh-da-man
07-31-17, 09:00 PM
Wow. This is, like, the first time in ten years that anyone has cared about the MTV Video Music Awards.

Wait... how long ago was that Kanye West-Taylor Swift thing?

Rypro 525
07-31-17, 10:03 PM
I did see a story that MTV was bringing back TRL so there is that in the 'show some music videos MTV" arguemnt

William Fuld
08-01-17, 12:24 AM
It's about time all the non-men who've walked on the moon were recognized.

Alan Smithee
08-01-17, 01:43 AM
I did see a story that MTV was bringing back TRL so there is that in the 'show some music videos MTV" arguemnt

Didn't that have talking and crap through the songs though? Someone said it was like the "crew" at a radio station leaving their mics on by mistake during a song. Plus they're adding yet another reality show.

JeffTheAlpaca
08-01-17, 04:11 AM
Wow. This is, like, the first time in ten years that anyone has cared about the MTV Video Music Awards.

Wait... how long ago was that Kanye West-Taylor Swift thing?

That was back in 2009. Maybe when Miley Twerked at the 2013 VMAs people cared.

They have a new show called Siesta Key for those people nostalgic for crappy shows like Laguna Beach and the Hills.

islandclaws
08-03-17, 08:06 AM
Oh noes, a pointless, made up award from an irrelevant lifestyle channel doesn't have a penis anymore! Where's my fainting couch?

That actually wasn't what I was saying at all. Just nauseated MTV has to jump on the tumblr bandwagon and make some hollow proclamation about gender-neutrality to appease the new generation who think every superhero team is gay and every trans person is a hero.

But, yea, truthfully I could not give less of a shit.

Hokeyboy
08-03-17, 10:35 AM
If this was my biggest problem in life, I'd be living in Elysium :up:

Sonny Corinthos
08-03-17, 11:57 AM
With it being MTV, it figures. I can't remember the last time I watched MTV, or VH1. They both show nothing but reality shows and reruns of 90's shows.

GuessWho
08-03-17, 02:38 PM
The statue could very well be the same--I see no mention of it being changed.

I think they're just altering the name of it. Presenters will simply alter the script from "And the moonman goes to..." to "And the moonperson goes to..."

Oscar is still clearly a dude by name, yet very smooth down there.

Michael Corvin
08-04-17, 11:49 AM
Isn't the moon-"man" already gender neutral anyway? It's not like female astronauts get a different form fitting space suit.

Groucho
08-04-17, 12:03 PM
This is a bit silly given that the old statue was already gender neutral, but even sillier is the over-the-top reaction to it.

wishbone
08-04-17, 12:16 PM
raWZraPHLqM

MTV was blown up years ago. :shrug:

Barth
08-04-17, 10:18 PM
Marketing ploy. "If we bring attention to it our brand gets out there". MTV hasn't been relevant for so long they are grasping at straws.

TomOpus
08-05-17, 08:47 AM
Anyone that is upset (or is faux-upset) deserves MTV.

Mike86
08-05-17, 11:27 AM
That actually wasn't what I was saying at all. Just nauseated MTV has to jump on the tumblr bandwagon and make some hollow proclamation about gender-neutrality to appease the new generation who think every superhero team is gay and every trans person is a hero.

But, yea, truthfully I could not give less of a shit.
I don't really care either but it's a silly thing to say they're changing when the statue itself doesn't seem tied specifically to a gender. I guess just the fact that it's called Moon Man is offensive to the SJW crowd so re-name it Moon Person so people can move on.

dom56
08-05-17, 04:08 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/idgas.gif

Supermallet
08-08-17, 08:11 PM
I don't really care either but it's a silly thing to say they're changing when the statue itself doesn't seem tied specifically to a gender. I guess just the fact that it's called Moon Man is offensive to the SJW crowd so re-name it Moon Person so people can move on.

Of course, it's possible that equal representation is important to MTV's young audiences, who are less tied to gender binaries than the generation who remembers the "glory days" of MTV.

Nah, must be those mythical SJWs who control all of American culture in 2017.

Michael Corvin
08-08-17, 10:56 PM
The fuck is an SJW?

Josh-da-man
08-08-17, 11:13 PM
The fuck is an SJW?

Oh, I so envy you...

Mike86
08-08-17, 11:33 PM
Of course, it's possible that equal representation is important to MTV's young audiences, who are less tied to gender binaries than the generation who remembers the "glory days" of MTV.

Nah, must be those mythical SJWs who control all of American culture in 2017.
Again though the award itself isn't tied to a gender just by looking at it. It's a space suit. There's nothing about it that specifically relates it to something male. Making the claim it's being changed for equal gender representation is pandering to that crowd. I don't see how there's anything mythical about the SJW crowd. They very clearly exist in modern times. Not that equality is a bad thing at all but there are definitely those people who think that every little thing has to be completely equal and fair even if it's for the most minor things like this that make it irritating.

Damfino
08-09-17, 08:49 PM
Oh, I so envy you...

I guess I'm envied as well. I had to Google it to find out it means "Social Justice Warrior".

Perhaps the trophy should be called "The Buzzy" for Ruth Buzzi not Buzz Aldrin?

This is already more time I've given to the MTV awards since Kanye interrupted Taylor Swift.

Dan
08-09-17, 09:45 PM
there are definitely those people who think that every little thing has to be completely equal and fair even if it's for the most minor things
Would love to see an example of a real person (internet trolls don't count) actually saying exactly that. They definitely exist, right?

Mike86
08-09-17, 10:06 PM
Would love to see an example of a real person (internet trolls don't count) actually saying exactly that. They definitely exist, right?
Okay admittedly I don't have exact examples but basically any form of social media you're bound to come across people who think that way from time to time. Whether or not they're trolls or believe what they're saying is up to perception but I think there are a lot of them out there.

Also it's not that I'm against equality but I just tend to find a lot of things like this just kind of silly and annoying.

Groucho
08-09-17, 10:59 PM
I would say that people complaining about SJWs outnumber actual SJWs by a ratio of at least 10:1.

EinCB
08-09-17, 11:23 PM
Think SJWs are bogeymen/women created by Internet conservatives. I know I'm just one person, but I have yet to meet a single one in the flesh.

Josh-da-man
08-10-17, 11:58 AM
I would say that people complaining about SJWs outnumber actual SJWs by a ratio of at least 10:1.

Yeah, that's probably the case. But the definition of what a SJW is tends to be pretty loose. If the fact that the new Star Wars trilogy has a girl as the lead character doesn't set you off in a red-faced rage, you're a SJW.

It's really unfortunate that this nonsense has been infecting so many fandoms over the years that you can't read about or discuss Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, or other things without getting constant complaints about "diversity."

And, on the other hand, you get shit like this from the opposite end: http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-toxic-drama-of-ya-twitter.html

hdnmickey
08-10-17, 12:23 PM
The only times I have ever seen the term SJW used have been right after somebody gets called on their shit after saying/writing something disparaging about some minority.

Mike86
08-10-17, 12:44 PM
I guess the only time I really have a problem with it is when people act sensitive to the most minute of things like this. There are actual issues in terms of gender and race equality but silly crap like this where there's really no call for it is where I find it irritating. When seemingly the only reason it's done is to make the people doing it pat themselves on the back I get annoyed with it. Generally I stay out of actual issues which is why I don't post in the political forum but reading stuff like this that's deemed newsworthy gets me.

Also people are probably right about the actual number of SJW people out there. It's probably just something that I see online more frequently than actually ever encounter and I blow it out of proportion. I just get tired of stories like this when there's more important news out there.

wishbone
08-10-17, 01:23 PM
And, on the other hand, you get shit like this from the opposite end: http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-toxic-drama-of-ya-twitter.html“pg. 163. The Kelts are not a pure race like us. They’re more accepting of intermarriage, and because of this, they’re hopelessly mixed.”

Yes, you just read that with your own two eyes. This is one of the times my jaw dropped in horror and I had to walk away from this book.Sounds like Harry Potter to me -- imagine if social media derailed that book series. Speaking of social media...“I have never seen social interaction this fucked up,” [one author] wrote in an email. “And I’ve been in prison.”:lol:

hdnmickey
08-10-17, 02:01 PM
It's really unfortunate that this nonsense has been infecting so many fandoms over the years that you can't read about or discuss Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, or other things without getting constant complaints about "diversity."

On the surface the Star Trek thing is really surprising given the amount of diversity that was there right from the start. But when one digs into the details on what they are rallying against now, you realize that it there was always a limit to that diversity. And that is why they will claim to be fans of the franchise yet still freak out about a black female first officer, or too many racial minorities in the crew, or an openly gay character.

Jason
08-10-17, 05:08 PM
Perhaps the trophy should be called "The Buzzy" for Ruth Buzzi not Buzz Aldrin?

She (sort of) played an astronaut once.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Lostsaucer.jpg

Jason
08-10-17, 05:10 PM
Also people are probably right about the actual number of SJW people out there. It's probably just something that I see online more frequently than actually ever encounter and I blow it out of proportion.

It most assuredly is.

creekdipper
08-10-17, 10:29 PM
The fuck is an SJW?

Single Jewish Woman?

Slightly Jaded Wizard?

Savage Jaundiced Wildling?

creekdipper
08-10-17, 10:32 PM
Here's the only gender-neutral trophy that counts, but the Grammys already had it locked up:

https://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-champion-holding-dollar-sign-trophy-247884922.jpg

Draven
08-11-17, 03:03 AM
There's nothing about it that specifically relates it to something male.

You don't see how the Moonman is specifically male? That is a tough code to crack...

I think it's awesome that MTV got rid of the actor/actress distinction. My female friends who act just want to be called "actors". It's one of the few professions that still has this weird gender-specific name stuck to it. The sooner we can get that kind of thinking out of the Emmys, Tonys, Oscars and everything else, the better.

Mike86
08-11-17, 07:10 AM
The name yes. Although was it ever even officially called that? I think it's more of a nickname for the VMA than anything. The statue no. Again it's a spacesuit, it's not like it's got a guy's face on it or anything specifically male.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
08-11-17, 08:16 AM
The name yes. Although was it ever even officially called that? I think it's more of a nickname for the VMA than anything. The statue no. Again it's a spacesuit, it's not like it's got a guy's face on it or anything specifically male.

Presenters would normally say "And the moon man goes to..."

So now they will say "moon person"

That's literally all that's going to change.

Hokeyboy
08-11-17, 10:50 AM
The fact that this is even an issue means someone should go full 12 Monkeys ASAP.

Mike86
08-11-17, 11:28 AM
Presenters would normally say "And the moon man goes to..."

So now they will say "moon person"

That's literally all that's going to change.
Yeah it's basically just a nickname that the award has gotten over the years. I guess to me in ways like this society has gotten so sensitive to things that it's kind of ridiculous. It's not like it's something that should be taken as offensive. Should the Tony Awards change the name of the Tony because that's more typically a male name? Females win those too.

Draven
08-11-17, 11:47 AM
Yeah it's basically just a nickname that the award has gotten over the years. I guess to me in ways like this society has gotten so sensitive to things that it's kind of ridiculous. It's not like it's something that should be taken as offensive. Should the Tony Awards change the name of the Tony because that's more typically a male name? Females win those too.

The Tony award is named after a woman - Antoinette Perry.

Mike86
08-11-17, 12:09 PM
The Tony award is named after a woman - Antoinette Perry.
I guess I'm ignorant. :lol: Either way do guys (not just straight but those of the gay and trans community) get upset over that then? It just is what it is. It's not like by saying Moon Man it's meant in an offending way. Probably the award earned the nickname because that's what people associate the most famous space mission with and those who were on the moon were men at the time. Why it's MTV's award who knows but it is what it is.

Draven
08-11-17, 01:10 PM
Why does it matter if it changes?

That's the problem - the reaction far outweighs what's being done.

Damfino
08-11-17, 02:32 PM
She (sort of) played an astronaut once.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Lostsaucer.jpg

I wasn't aware of that. My defense would have been that she appeared in some music videos. Oh wait...

JeffTheAlpaca
08-11-17, 06:27 PM
If anyone cares Katy Perry is hosting the 2017 VMAs which is probably perfect for the gender neutral award since now she has a dudes haircut.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/04/10/21/3F2447D800000578-0-image-a-33_1491854868622.jpg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0