Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last Tycoon (Amazon) - S: Bomer, Collins, Grammer - based on the Fitzgerald novel

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last Tycoon (Amazon) - S: Bomer, Collins, Grammer - based on the Fitzgerald novel

Old 07-28-17, 06:39 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KnRIv-QNtjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amazon today announced its new original one hour series The Last Tycoon, starring Golden Globe winner Matt Bomer (White Collar, The Normal Heart), multi- Golden Globe and Emmy winner Kelsey Grammer (Frasier, Boss) and Lily Collins (The Blind Side, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones), will premiere on Friday, July 28 exclusively on Prime Video. From F. Scott Fitzgerald's last work, which celebrated its 75th anniversary last year, The Last Tycoon - inspired by the life of legendary film mogul Irving Thalberg - follows Hollywood's Golden Boy, Monroe Stahr (Bomer) as he battles father figure and boss, Pat Brady (Grammer) for the soul of their studio. In a world darkened by the Great Depression and the growing international influence of Hitler's Germany, The Last Tycoon illuminates the passions, violence, and towering ambition of 1930s Hollywood. Customers can watch the pilot episode online at Amazon.com/The-Last-Tycoon before the full season's remaining eight episodes air on July 28. The show will be available on PrimeVideo.com for Prime Video members in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Annika Marks as Bernadette Davis
· Dominique McElligott as Kathleen Moore
· Enzo Cilenti as Aubrey Hackett
· Jessica de Gouw as Minna Davis
· Kelsey Grammer as Pat Brady
· Kerry O'Malley as Kay Maloney
· Lily Collins as Celia Brady
· Mark O'Brien as Max Miner
· Matt Bomer as Monroe Stahr
· Rosemarie DeWitt as Rose Brady

CREW INFORMATION:
· A. Scott Berg as CP
· Alixandre Witlin as EP
· Billy Ray as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Christopher Keyser as EP
· David Stern as EP
· F. Scott Fitzgerald as BOOK
· Joshua D. Maurer as EP
· Perri Kipperman as CO-EP
· Scott Hornbacher as CO-EP
Old 09-09-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: The Last Tycoon (Amazon) - S: Bomer, Collins, Grammer - based on the Fitzgerald n

Cancelled after 1 season: http://deadline.com/2017/09/the-last...on-1202165509/

Another niche period show that no one watched, especially this forum.

Amazon seems to be getting rid of these shows that had little to no buzz.
Old 09-09-17, 04:36 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts
Re: The Last Tycoon (Amazon) - S: Bomer, Collins, Grammer - based on the Fitzgerald n

It started?! Let alone ended?! I feel like you just started seeing promos for it.

Amazon Prime has to fix their interface. It's simple too clumsy to be convenient. I don't go there unless there's something there I know isn't on Netflix that I want to try. Doesn't help me learn about new stuff.
Old 09-09-17, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Dammit, I really liked this one.
Old 09-09-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Was this any good? The cast looks pretty good.
Old 09-09-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Wow, Kelsey Grammer sure has had a lot of failed series in recent years. After playing Frasier for twenty consecutive years, it must be a rude awaking.
Old 09-09-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Amazon, outside of the site, needs to learn how to market their programming better. Netflix floods social media when they want to promote their material. I have this show in queue and have not gotten to it yet.
Old 09-10-17, 12:04 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Yup. I just have no motivation to watch any Amazon shows. The only one I've watched is Red Oaks. There are a few others I want to check out but just haven't. Their interface is lacking for sure.
Old 09-10-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Really didn't enjoy the pilot when this was originally on, so I'm surprised it was picked up to series. So I'm okay with it getting cancelled, especially if Bomer can move on to something else.
Old 09-10-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Not a good week to be a Fitzgerald show on Amazon.
Old 09-11-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, Kelsey Grammer sure has had a lot of failed series in recent years. After playing Frasier for twenty consecutive years, it must be a rude awaking.
Which is too bad because he is a great actor and I always enjoy watching him. I was interested in this show based solely on his being in it,. But I don't have Amazon for this type of thing. Guess that won't be a problem now...
Old 09-11-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He must really love acting because with his age and his megabucks made off of Cheers and Frasier, he could have easily semi-retired like Jack Nicholson.
Old 09-11-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
He must really love acting because with his age and his megabucks made off of Cheers and Frasier, he could have easily semi-retired like Jack Nicholson.
I would imagine Sideshow Bob royalties are nothing to laugh at, either.