Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

GKIDS acquires the home video rights to the Studio Ghibli catalog

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,247 Posts

There's some discussion of this in Anime Talk, but I figured it's worth sharing here too.

Beginning October 17, 2017, GKIDS will begin reissuing new Blu-ray and DVD editions of Studio Ghibli’s renowned films with six initial titles from Academy Award®-winning director Hayao Miyazaki: Howl’s Moving Castle, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away followed by Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind on October 31, 2017.
Newly Acquired Titles Include:
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 1984
  • Castle in the Sky, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 1986
  • My Neighbor Totoro, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 1988
  • Kiki’s Delivery Service, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 1989
  • Porco Rosso, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 1992
  • Pom Poko, directed by Isao Takahata, 1994
  • Whisper of the Heart, directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, 1995
  • Princess Mononoke, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 1997
  • My Neighbor the Yamadas, directed by Isao Takahata, 1999
  • Spirited Away, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 2001
  • The Cat Returns, directed by Hiroyuki Morita, 2002
  • Howl’s Moving Castle, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 2004
  • Tales From Earthsea, directed by Goro Miyazaki, 2006
    Ponyo, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 2008
  • The Secret World of Arrietty, directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2010

Studio Ghibli Titles Currently Represented by GKIDS:
  • Only Yesterday, directed by Isao Takahata, 1991
  • Ocean Waves, directed by Tomomi Mochizuki, 1993
  • From Up on Poppy Hill, directed by Goro Miyazaki, 2011
  • The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, directed by Isao Takahata, 2013
  • When Marnie Was There, directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2014
Old 07-18-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,483 Likes on 942 Posts
Re: GKIDS acquires the home video rights to the Studio Ghibli catalog

Who owns the English language dubs on the current disks? I'd be happy if the dub of Kiki's Delivery Service got replaced by one where the cat sometimes shut up.
Old 07-18-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i was wondering this too. cause if Disney owns the dubs, they may have to do new dubs or just keep the japanese and have no dubs
Old 07-18-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,555 Posts

I'm pretty sure Ghibli owns the dubs. Gkids is actually releasing Kiki to limited theaters this weekend, one day is a dub and one day is the sub so we should know for sure shortly. But I can't see them spending the money to redub these, and they have verified each will have a dub.

I also didn't realize that the Universal release of Princess Kaguya, Poppy Hill, Marnie, etc. were through Gkids already.
Old 07-18-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm pretty sure Ghibli owns the dubs.
Yup. Straight from the horse's mouth:

Old 07-19-17, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 455 Likes on 313 Posts

So, I don't know much about the Studio Ghibli titles, but if I'm interested in eventually getting into them, should I rush to try to get the Disney editions before they go OOP? Or is there reason to skip them and hope that the Gkids versions are better?
Old 07-19-17, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love it if GKids could also included the non-Disney dubs. Laputa, Kiki, Porco Rosso and Totoro were all dubbed (by Carl Macek's Streamline Pictures) before Fox and Disney acquired any of the titles. The Totoro dub is often called the "Fox Studios dub" but was done previously by Streamline. I own all of them on Japanese laserdisc and that's been the only way to hear those dubs for about two decades now. They're all, imho, at least equal to the Disney dubs and Kiki is superior to Disney's (Jiji being dubbed by Phil Hartman is a travesty).
Old 07-19-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
So, I don't know much about the Studio Ghibli titles, but if I'm interested in eventually getting into them, should I rush to try to get the Disney editions before they go OOP? Or is there reason to skip them and hope that the Gkids versions are better?
I'm curious about this too.
Old 07-19-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
If you care about watching the movies in the original Japanese, several of the Disney Blu-rays (not all, but several) only have "dubtitles" rather than a proper English subtitle translation, and some only have the Japanese audio in lossy Dolby Digital format.

IIRC, Disney's "Collected Works of Hayo Miyazaki" box set corrected those issues, but dropped most of the bonus features. That set is currently very expensive on Amazon.

If GKIDS can provide lossless Japanese audio with proper English subtitles, and the video transfers are up to par, I'd be very excited about it.
Old 07-19-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
If GKIDS can provide lossless Japanese audio with proper English subtitles, and the video transfers are up to par, I'd be very excited about it.
This is exactly what I'm hoping will be the practical fallout of this news. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-19-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have never heard of GKIDS. Are they any good? Are the price points for these Blu-rays expensive like Disney's?
Old 07-19-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I have never heard of GKIDS. Are they any good? Are the price points for these Blu-rays expensive like Disney's?
Unfortunately their prices are higher than normal, and tend to stay that way. But they have put out some great anime releases in the past. Including Ghibli's "When Marnie Was There". Personally, since we tend to only ever watch the English language version of these movies, I'll probably be sticking with my Disney releases.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-19-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Yeah, the ones I've bought have been new releases, and I don't remember ever seeing them on sale.
Old 07-19-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by faust69
I'd love it if GKids could also included the non-Disney dubs. Laputa, Kiki, Porco Rosso and Totoro were all dubbed (by Carl Macek's Streamline Pictures) before Fox and Disney acquired any of the titles. The Totoro dub is often called the "Fox Studios dub" but was done previously by Streamline. I own all of them on Japanese laserdisc and that's been the only way to hear those dubs for about two decades now. They're all, imho, at least equal to the Disney dubs and Kiki is superior to Disney's (Jiji being dubbed by Phil Hartman is a travesty).
I think they said they're only getting what Ghibli considers the official dub, so I don't think we'll see the old dubs, but we should get all the new subtitles. Only problem would be Kiki, who's fixed subs are actually just an adaptation of the Streamline dub.
Old 07-19-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
A fine label; they've already put Studio Ghibli Blu-rays out before, the ones Disney didn't want to license.

Most of these should be priced around $20. The difference being that Disney has far better retail distribution and will occasionally put items on sale. Don't expect to see the GKids' releases hit $12 or anything.
Old 07-19-17, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be curious to see if their edition of Kiki fixes the audio problem with the english dub.

Also, if they will include the redone score for Castle In The Sky on theirs.
Old 07-19-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in for the original English dub on Totoro. It's way better than the Disney version.
Old 07-20-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From their Facebook page:

"A NOTE ON STUDIO GHIBLI BLU-RAYS:
First thanks to everyone for your kind words and enthusiasm!! It's surreal to have gone from owning a VHS tape as a kid to putting our logo on the same film decades later. Literally a dream come true.

I wanted to provide some quick answers to frequent questions:

- we may have gotten carried away with "ALL FILMS". The actual press release is more specific... we will now have all films in our collection except Grave of the Fireflies (always excluded due to the fact it is not represented by Ghibli in USA), and The Wind Rises, which is still new. And we are not going to re-release our current Ghibli titles (Poppy, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Kaguya, Marnie). I'm proud of them, think we did a great job, and there's nothing I'd change yet.

- there will be three subtitle streams on every film: English for Japanese audio (translation), English SDH (aka "dubtitles"), and French

- if it's on the Japanese Bluray (from Ghibli), we probably have it. If it's not, sorry, I wouldn't expect to see it at this time. Old dubs, old tweaks etc. Ghibli is extremely particular about their masters and what is "studio approved." While I share some fondness/nostalgia for previous versions of things, Ghibli is particular about the dub you hear and the presentation you receive. In a good way. These editions will be "studio approved." We are carefully reviewing transfers, updating subtitles (where appropriate) and going nuts on the QC process. And pushing some buttons on requests every now and then. If you already own these releases, I don't expect a double dip... yet. We are going to try to earn it

- We are starting to release the catalog titles in October and will release a few new ones each month with a goal to get them all on shelves by end of Q1 2018.

- Yes this includes Yamadas on Bluray. I am really looking forward to spreading the joy of that film across the land.

- Artwork is going to be similar to previous US editions on some releases, different on others. It will be revealed this week for the October titles. Every Bluray will have a translated booklet, DVD and BD combo will have O-cards (slipcovers).

- You should all get your Kiki's Delivery Service tickets this weekend!!! English dub on Sunday / subtitles on Monday. We are going to do a great job, but the best place to see these films is still in a theater. Find a theater near you at FathomEvents.com.

-Dave"
Old 07-20-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Wow. Neat to see a label that seems to truly love what they're doing and want to do them right.
Old 07-21-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

A bunch of the movies are available for pre-order on Amazon.com. GKIDS said they will have all of the Japanese extras, and that they will try to add more. Not sure if some of my favorites are worth double dipping on.
Old 07-21-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It may well change before release but I'm not double dipping at full retail price. Heck it's a little ridiculous on Amazon right now because the Disney editions are currently less than half of the new ones.

But if they had steelbooks? Or some LEs? Ah, I'm so weak.
Old 07-21-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

I've been really scattershot about upgrading my Ghibli DVDs so I should take inventory and see what I want to get from either Disney or GKids.
Old 09-17-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

What's found on the GKIDs versions:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also, there has been price drops: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...%7C+B074JV6XY7

Last edited by EinCB; 09-17-17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

Those are more reasonable prices than I was expecting.
Old 09-20-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

I doubt these will be worth a double-dip, right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.