Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019, D: Tarantino) S: DiCaprio, Pitt, Robbie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

JULY 11, 2017 4:01pm PT by Borys Kit
Quentin Tarantino Prepping New Movie Tackling Manson Murders (Exclusive)

The director is already meeting with A-list talent for the project.

Quentin Tarantino is quietly starting to put together his latest project, and is talking to A-list actors for what is promising to be a unique take on the Manson Family murders.

The project, whose title is unknown, was written by Tarantino who would also direct. Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who have produced and exec produced the previous Tarantino films, are involved, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

WME is said to be in the early stages of shopping the project to studios to co-finance and co-distribute the venture. The move apes the way Tarantino and the Weinsteins made the filmmaker’s 2009 movie, Inglourious Basterds, which had Universal Studios as a financial and distributing partner.

Sources say that Tarantino is putting the finishing touches on the script and that Brad Pitt, who worked with the filmmaker on Basterds, and Jennifer Lawrence have been approached. Studios could receive the package after Labor Day, according to one source. The plan is to shoot in 2018, possibly in the summer.

Script details are fuzzy but one of the stories centers is on Sharon Tate, the actress and wife of director Roman Polanski who was murdered by Manson and his followers in 1969.

Manson had ordered a group of his followers to attack the inhabitants of a house in the Benedict Canyon part of Los Angeles, believing it was owned by a record produced who earlier had rejected him.

Over the course of several hours on the night of Aug. 8, the four followers, using guns and knives, brutally killed Tate, who was eight months pregnant, and four other occupants.

In 1971, Manson and certain members of his crew were sentenced to life imprisonment for these and several other murders committed that summer.

If the Manson-Tate project does become Tarantino’s next film, it becomes unique in that it will be his first movie to be based on true events. Tarantino has molded his career into taking his favorite genres such as crime, Westerns and blaxploitation and elevating them to A-list status while also paying homage to them.

And he has proven to be able to create strong and memorable female roles, from Jackie Brown in Jackie Brown to the Bride in Kill Bill to the female characters on display in Death Proof.

Tate could be the latest to join that list.

Any actor involvement is on the early side and one insider said that Lawrence is not considering the Tate role.

WME had no comment.
Old 07-11-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019, D: Tarantino) S: DiCaprio, Pitt, Robbie

Intriquing, so long as the film isn't Sharon Tate rising from the grave to kick the ass of each Manson girl one by one in a bloody quest for revenge.
Old 07-11-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts
re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019, D: Tarantino) S: DiCaprio, Pitt, Robbie

The Manson Murders have been done to death (no pun intended) but with Tarantino involved I'm interested.

Of course this is Tarantino we're talking about so we'll see if this ever happens.
Old 07-11-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I wonder if he'll try to make the dialog "cool"... and like always - very long and drawn out.

I still expect him to do a women's prison movie.

But I agree... the Manson thing's been done to death. I'd rather they do a real Son of Sam film (Summer of Sam doesn't really count) and delve into the cult angle.
Old 07-11-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not excited to hear he wants Lawrence, but I do like me some Pitt.

Agree that this subject has been done to death but I'll watch anything QT does.
Old 07-11-17, 09:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

i'll see anything Tarantino so i m in...
Old 07-11-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Excited by a new Tarantino movie. Not excited by the subject matter. I would expect more from him.
Old 07-12-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

We'll see if that's what he actually does next. He's like GDT and a few others when lining up projects. I want to do this and this and this, then does something completely different. Granted, I'm a big fucking fan, so whatever he does is gold anyway. I'm in.
Old 07-12-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

How creepy is this dude looking these days:

Old 07-12-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since it sounds like there is a script and studios involved, I don't see why this wouldn't be made. This isn't like Quentin was on a talk show and threw out, "Yeah, I really want to do a James Bond movie, only closer to the novels..."
Old 07-12-17, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
How creepy is this dude looking these days:

Getting old sucks. He's 54.
Old 07-12-17, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Getting old sucks. He's 54.
Nothing wrong with aging, it's the kung fu vampire haircut that's unflattering.
Old 07-12-17, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

If making a Manson family movie (i.e something based on real events) means he's going to branch out and do something different, something not so Tarantinoesque, then I think this is great news and I'm super stoked. I've been hoping QT would throw the audience a curve ball for a long time now. Don't get me wrong, I've loved just about everything he's done, but he's really stretched his own particular aesthetic as far as I think its gonna go. Similar to Wes Anderson and Terrence Malick, I think Tarantino is due for a change. So hopefully this is what the new project will be. A change in direction.
Old 07-12-17, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Wonder how many N-words Charlie will get to say!
Old 07-12-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Not what I was expecting from him really. Especially if this is truly one of his last two films. I'll see it but I'd rather see something original rather than a film based on true events. I don't have much interest in Charles Manson and his followers.
Old 07-12-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Given what Tarantino has done his entire career, I'm surprised so many people are reacting as if he'll do a shot-by-shot re-make of Helter Skelter or some other generic crime procedural. A quarter of a century making films and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt
Old 07-12-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the issue is that Tarantino's films have become bloated and self-indulgent, and making a movie based off of real life tragic events could end being very cringe-worthy if he continues with his ultra-hip style. It's like he's been using increasingly edgy material in his vanity projects, nazis, slavery, Manson family all while ripping off cult/exploitation films from the 60s and 70s. I really, really miss the guy who made Jackie Brown.
Old 07-12-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Given what Tarantino has done his entire career, I'm surprised so many people are reacting as if he'll do a shot-by-shot re-make of Helter Skelter or some other generic crime procedural. A quarter of a century making films and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt
What's he going to able to bring to the plate of a story that we know who did what and the entire timeline. Unless he makes up shit, are we going to say "Whoa, didn't see that coming" at any point of the movie?
Old 07-12-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

I'm hoping he finds a way to work Hitler into it.
Old 07-12-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I think the issue is that Tarantino's films have become bloated and self-indulgent, and making a movie based off of real life tragic events could end being very cringe-worthy if he continues with his ultra-hip style. It's like he's been using increasingly edgy material in his vanity projects, nazis, slavery, Manson family all while ripping off cult/exploitation films from the 60s and 70s. I really, really miss the guy who made Jackie Brown.
Tarantino films were always bloated and self-indulgent, even when Sally was alive. But the good outweighs the bad.

That said, if he goes Inglourious Basterds on this and has Tate murder Manson, by way of, let's say, a rigged up guillotine a la I Saw the Devil, I won't be disappointed at lack of historical accuracy.
Old 07-12-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Tarantino films were always bloated and self-indulgent, even when Sally was alive. But the good outweighs the bad.

That said, if he goes Inglourious Basterds on this and has Tate murder Manson, by way of, let's say, a rigged up guillotine a la I Saw the Devil, I won't be disappointed at lack of historical accuracy.
Well, I'll take Walken monologues over Anime flashbacks.
Old 07-12-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
What's he going to able to bring to the plate of a story that we know who did what and the entire timeline. Unless he makes up shit, are we going to say "Whoa, didn't see that coming" at any point of the movie?
Well, if you're the sort of viewer who can't watch movies like Titanic or Zodiac because you know "who did what and the entire timeline" that's fine. I have my own quirks about certain type of movies I don't enjoy, but understand others do.

My point is, Tarantino's films are defined by their style, to the point the subject matter is almost irrelevant. I'm thinking of that terrific quote by Roger Ebert: "A movie is not about what it's about, but how it's about it."
Old 07-12-17, 02:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Intriquing, so long as the film isn't Sharon Tate rising from the grave to kick the ass of each Manson girl one by one in a bloody quest for revenge.
Holy shit, that sounds awesome. When can I buy my ticket?
Old 07-12-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

So who's playing Manson, Pitt or Lawrence?
Old 07-12-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, if you're the sort of viewer who can't watch movies like Titanic or Zodiac because you know "who did what and the entire timeline" that's fine. I have my own quirks about certain type of movies I don't enjoy, but understand others do.

My point is, Tarantino's films are defined by their style, to the point the subject matter is almost irrelevant. I'm thinking of that terrific quote by Roger Ebert: "A movie is not about what it's about, but how it's about it."
If he's truly only doing two more films, I would prefer him to take me on a journey of his imagination. I don't need some re-invention of history for the sake of style. You might be celebrating this decision, while I'll remain skeptically refrained.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.