Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Will (TNT) -- young Shakespeare series

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 07:14 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Will (TNT) -- young Shakespeare series

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iRBzBEm4HGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TNT is about to take viewers back in time to Elizabethan England to tell the wild, rowdy story of young William Shakespeare in the brand new drama series Will. Newcomer Laurie Davidson plays the title role in this period drama told in a bold, contemporary style and played to a modern soundtrack that exposes all of Shakespeare's recklessness, lustful temptations and tortured brilliance. Also starring are Olivia DeJonge (The Visit), Ewen Bremner (Trainspotting), Colm Meaney (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Mattias Inwood (The Shanara Chronicles), Jamie Campbell Bower (The Twilight Saga), William Houston (Sherlock Holmes), Lukas Rolfe (Grantchester), Max Bennett (The Hollow Crown) and Jasmin Savoy Brown (The Leftovers). Will is slated to launch on Monday, July 10, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT) across TNT's U.S. platforms. As Will opens, a young William Shakespeare (Davidson) has just arrived onto the punk-rock theatre scene in 16th century London. It is in this seductive, violent world that his raw talent faces rioting audiences, religious fanatics and raucous sideshows. Attracted to Will's naïve genius is Alice Burbage (DeJonge), the talented, beautiful and rebellious daughter of James Burbage (Meaney), the carpenter whose vision led him to build the first theatre in London since Roman times. Despite being the daughter of an impresario, Alice is forbidden by society from pursuing a career in the theatre. Her brother Richard Burbage (Inwood) is innately talented as well, but too much in love with himself and prone to overact. But a chance encounter at the theatre leads him to team up with Will in what would soon become the greatest actor-writer partnership the world has ever seen. Rounding out Will's cast of characters are playwright, poet and chief Shakespeare rival Christopher Marlowe (Bower) and wealthy and notorious law enforcer Richard Topcliffe (Bremner).

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Colm Meaney as James Burbage
· Jasmin Savoy Brown as Emilia Bassano
· Laurie Davidson as William Shakespeare
· Mattias Inwood as Richard Burbage
· Max Bennett as Robert Southwell
· Olivia DeJonge as Alice Burbage

CREW INFORMATION:
· Christina Wayne as EP
· Craig Pearce as CRTR/EP
· Hilary Bevan Jones as EP
· Howard Braunstein as EP
· Louise Rosager as EP
· Shekhar Kapur as DIR (Pilot)
· Vince Gerardis as EP
Old 09-06-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Will (TNT) -- young Shakespeare series

and that says it all right there. The series played out its ten episodes, getting pushed an hour later half-way through. I DVR'd the series but waited to see how people responded to it, or if it might prove successful. I wasn't surprised it didn't get picked up. I guess I'll delete the run.
Old 09-06-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I had a friend who begged me to record it for her, so I obliged. I napped through a few of the early episodes. It did improve somewhat during its run but never fully came together. I don't think it ever figured out what it wanted to be. I'm not sad that it was cancelled.
Old 09-07-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I thought it was the best series TNT has ever shown. It didn't really fit the channel, as Will was originally produced for the defunct Pivot network. Olivia DeJonge as Alice was mesmerizing and I expect she'll find more work very soon. The writing was more literate than we normally get these days.

It did make up a lot of history and if you believed Will, Shakespeare's secret lover came up with half of his ideas.

Spoiler alert...after TNT's lowest demo ratings possibly ever for a new series, the show is canceled.
The following users liked this post:
Twistedmama (01-15-20)