Old 07-09-17, 05:46 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Twin Peaks (S1E09) -- "The Return - Part 9" -- 7/9/17

This is the chair.
Old 07-09-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks (S1E09) -- "The Return - Part 9" -- 7/9/17

Knowing Lynch we could get a chair that runs around killing people or it could just be a chair.
Old 07-09-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I love how this show has broken my ability to have any expectations about what I might see tonight.

-more goofy humour about Dougie?
-Cooper returning to the town of Twin Peaks?
-avant garde sequences surrounding the Black Lodge?
-an episode devoted to owls with no human characters appearing?
-cross-over episode with the cast of On The Air?
Old 07-09-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Knowing Lynch we could get a chair that runs around killing people or it could just be a chair.
Linda's wheelchair, most likely.
Old 07-09-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I love how this show has broken my ability to have any expectations about what I might see tonight.

-more goofy humour about Dougie?
-Cooper returning to the town of Twin Peaks?
-avant garde sequences surrounding the Black Lodge?
-an episode devoted to owls with no human characters appearing?
-cross-over episode with the cast of On The Air?
It'll be a Nine Inch Nails concert film, but as performed by Johnny Cash imitators wearing 70s era Jack Nance masks.
Old 07-09-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

It's going to be a fifty minute loop of an old man pissing on a tire, and half of the internet will declare it's brilliant and anyone who doesn't like it is an asshole who doesn't understand the genius of David Lynch.
Old 07-09-17, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's going to be a fifty minute loop of an old man pissing on a tire, and half of the internet will declare it's brilliant and anyone who doesn't like it is an asshole who doesn't understand the genius of David Lynch.
Throw in a narration by the guy pissing on the tire and Lynch could get sued by Terrence Malick.
Old 07-09-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

There is truth in this statement, but it's more like 80% of the Internet.
Old 07-09-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

http://thesearchforthezone.com/
Old 07-10-17, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I enjoyed last night's episode for the most part. I loved the scenes with the Twin Peaks characters, especially nice to see Bobby getting some time. It's also been great to see Hawk get a lot of air time.

I'm still frustrated with the Dougie storyline and lack of Audrey, yet we are officially halfway to the end. It just seems like so much more could have been done with Cooper for nine hours after 25 years of waiting rather than him repeating the last word everyone says and staring at light sockets. Now, with Evil Cooper sending Jennifer Jason Leigh and the other guy out to kill the warden and the Vegas guys, it doesn't seem like this story will ever end.

I just hope this is all going somewhere. Otherwise, I'm starting to lose faith in the show.
Old 07-10-17, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I enjoyed last night's episode for the most part. I loved the scenes with the Twin Peaks characters, especially nice to see Bobby getting some time. It's also been great to see Hawk get a lot of air time.

I'm still frustrated with the Dougie storyline and lack of Audrey, yet we are officially halfway to the end. It just seems like so much more could have been done with Cooper for nine hours after 25 years of waiting rather than him repeating the last word everyone says and staring at light sockets. Now, with Evil Cooper sending Jennifer Jason Leigh and the other guy out to kill the warden and the Vegas guys, it doesn't seem like this story will ever end.

I just hope this is all going somewhere. Otherwise, I'm starting to lose faith in the show.
Agreed.
Old 07-10-17, 08:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

it's brilliant and anyone who doesn't like it is an asshole who doesn't understand the genius of David Lynch.

/sarcasm
Old 07-10-17, 08:58 AM

Well, that just isn't true.
Old 07-10-17, 09:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

No. It is.
Spoiler:

Old 07-10-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This. People need to get off Lynch's sack and start looking at this thing critically. It's plodding along in this pseudo-aimless direction and the world / characters that everyone wanted to revisit have been either abandoned or relegated to guest spots. And where is the narrative? Unleashing Lynch / Frost to show-run this thing was a mistake. This is why creative control and finance should always be separated. I appreciate that this exists and have liked a lot more than I've disliked. But blind faith to the shows creator is ridiculous. Too much isn't working.
Old 07-10-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

If it weren't for the fact that we are very unlikely to see any future seasons of this show, I wouldn't worry about the pacing at all. I'm still trying to tell myself to just enjoy the journey because I'm really enjoying it so far, but I do share the fear that there might be a big letdown when it's all concluded.

As for this episode, I liked that Bobby had the chance to get featured more prominently. I had just been thinking about how little his character had been seen since the first night. It does feel like there are fragments of plot that are starting to come together, but I am worried about the time that remains.
Old 07-10-17, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I was reading on another forum, and someone mentioned that they watched all 9 (so far) in one sitting yesterday. With a group of people, no less! That person said that the show feels 'quicker' and flows better when you watch it that way.

I did the first four episodes in one sitting (twice), but haven't had a chance to do that again since. Yesterday, my wife commented that she couldn't even remember who Hastings was when his name was mentioned. As soon as I said Matthew Lillard, she remembered, but her point was that she didn't really remember much about him since we hadn't seen his character in quite some time.

That said, I think dumping it all at once on Netflix or wherever would have been a bigger mistake. I think consistently dropping 2-4 episodes a week might have been easier to digest, though. I can appreciate that Showtime likely wanted to keep it going for more than just a few weeks. May to September is a nice 5 months (inclusive) for people to stay subscribed.
Old 07-10-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
it's brilliant and anyone who doesn't like it is an asshole who doesn't understand the genius of David Lynch.

/sarcasm
I thought this excuse only worked for the works of Christopher Nolan, Terrence Malick and Damon Lindelof?
Old 07-10-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The Chair: Mrs. Briggs' chair or Lucy's online chair?
Old 07-10-17, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Still loving it, and it was good to get a bit more "grounded" episode after the previous week's mindfuck. Who would've thought that hoodlum Bobby would be the "returning" character to get the most emotional moments? It's clear now that most of the "original" characters from Twin Peaks are just getting cameo moments except for a handful of them, but I'm quite enjoying Deputy Bobby - actually the actor seems to have gotten better in the intervening years.

I'm still hoping we will get more than a cameo by Audrey at some point though at the same time I'm kind of dreading it as who knows what kind of existential horrorshow Lynch and Frost put her through since the bank explosion....
Old 07-11-17, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good episode. We now know the link between the Hastings storyline and the General. Looks like we'll have that double cooper confrontation in Twin Peaks soon enough with Hawk figuring things out with Bobby and Truman 2. Hastings isn't Leiland Palmer #2 like many expected. As for the fingerprints, maybe that's how the FBI finds Cooper/Dougie.
Old 07-11-17, 10:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like how the actual town of Twin Peaks has been shown to be part of a larger tapestry being played out across time, space, and dimensions. It's the opposite of what most shows do, which is make everything feel small and ties everything in to a central location.

I'm in this ride till the end. While I can admit I'm also hoping to see Coop snap out of it soon, I'm still willing to sit back and go with it.
Old 07-12-17, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I think itchy armpit girl skeeved me out more than that freaky bug from last week.

Interesting developments.
The reappearance of Evil Coop's playing card symbol on Major Brigg's note.
Another reference to 253, the same time Cooper re-entered as Dougie.

Lots of funny moments in this ep.
Gordon mishearing "Buckhorn"
Albert's "What happens in season 2?" and "Fruitcake anyone?"
Jerry's "I am not your foot." with that childlike voice might have been my favorite.

It was great seeing some of the Twin Peaks folks meetup with the Buckhorn crew. I really like Constance and Detective Dave. Albert and Constance seemed to really hit it off over marbles.

Really curious what that weird humming is all about. It sounds like the hum from the pilot when the Man From Another Place rubbed his hands together.

I'm wondering if Bob/Evil Coop and the Woodsmen are trying to find the entrance into the Giant's domain, hence the Giant's words to Cooper "It is in our house now."

I can't believe we're half way through the season already. It's been a blast so far and I'm trying to savor every minute of it.
Old 07-13-17, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or do Ben & Jerry look like David Letterman, before and after retirement.

Last edited by TerryW; 07-21-17 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I realized today I would be more accepting of what we've gotten so far if this had been named/marketed as a spin-off series instead of the next season of Twin Peaks. Something like "The Mysterious Saga of Special Agent Dale Cooper" would have made more sense, because while this takes place in the same universe as the original series, it has dramatically different tone, pacing, and focal characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.