Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective (HBO) -- Season 3 News and Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
True Detective (HBO) -- Season 3 News and Rumors

Since some news broke about it on Friday, might as well get a thread started.

http://www.tracking-board.com/mahers...n-3-exclusive/

MAHERSHALA ALI TO STAR IN “TRUE DETECTIVE” SEASON 3 (EXCLUSIVE)

In stunning pre-holiday news, Oscar winner Mahershala Ali is nearing a deal to play the lead on the third season of HBO’s TRUE DETECTIVE, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Sources caution that Ali’s deal hasn’t closed yet, but insiders are confident that it will. The third season of True Detective has not received a greenlight yet either, but given the fact that the show is one of the crown jewels in HBO’s programming lineup, insiders say it is definitely expected to return.

HBO has a tradition of casting big names in True Detective, including Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in Season 1, and Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch in Season 2. The show has never had an African-American lead before, and Ali is a rising star in Hollywood, so his casting is a smart move on the network’s part, as well as creator Nic Pizzolatto.

There are no plot details for the highly-anticipated third season, and as such, there’s no word on who Ali will be playing. Should a deal close, True Detective would serve as Ali’s return to television following stellar turns on Netflix’s House of Cards and Luke Cage.

Ali won an Oscar for his soulful supporting performance in Moonlight, which also won Best Picture. Coming off a banner year that also included turns in Hidden Figures, Kicks and Free State of Jones, Ali recently wrapped Robert Rodriguez’s Alita: Battle Angel and he’ll soon be seen in the acclaimed Sundance film Roxanne Roxanne. Ali also just signed on to lend his voice to Sony’s animated Spider-Man movie, as first reported by the Tracking Board.

Take that source with a grain of salt though.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/true-det...-3-1202122466/

Deadline says he's only in early talks to star in a potential 3rd season.

Oscar-winning Moonlight actor Mahershala Ali is in negotiations to star in a potential third season of HBO’s praised drama series True Detective. We hear talks are at a very early stage and no deal is in place.

A third season has not yet received a formal green light, but it has been in the works for a while, and Ali’s casting likely would make that a lock. In January, HBO President of Programming Casey Bloys indicated that he was “hopeful” about a third installment because creator Nic Pizzolatto was “closing in on an idea that he was excited about.” In addition, veteran David Milch came on board earlier this year to work with Pizzolatto on Season 3.

The first season of True Detective was very well received and became a cult phenomenon, landing a slew of awards and nominations and triggering a swift renewal. The drama also earned a quick-turnaround second installment, which drew mixed reaction from critics and fans.

Ali won a supporting actor Oscar for his role in Best Picture winner Moonlight. His TV work includes a praised role as Remy Danton in Netflix’s House of Cards and a recent recurring gig on Luke Cage. Next up on the film side is a starring role in JC Chandor’s upcoming thriller Triple Frontier. He’s repped by WME.
Old 07-01-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: True Detective (HBO) -- Season 3 News and Rumors

Crown Jewels of HBO programming? Highly anticipated Third Season?

That said, I love the idea of casting Ali.
Old 07-01-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Highly anticipated by me. I loved season 2.
Old 07-26-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2017/07/true-det...bo-1202136729/

Ali has officially signed on as the lead.

Just waiting for HBO to officially green light it now.
Old 07-26-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Works for me.
Old 07-26-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Can't be any worse than S2, but it's a good start with Ali.
Old 07-26-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Shit, does this mean I have to try and finish season 2?
Old 07-26-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Timber
Shit, does this mean I have to try and finish season 2?
No, season 2 is self contained.
Old 07-26-17, 08:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

S2 was that bad?
Old 07-26-17, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
S2 was that bad?
No, it was even worse.
Old 07-26-17, 08:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

That's too bad. Still have to see S1...
Old 07-26-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
No, it was even worse.
Old 07-26-17, 08:39 PM

Just watch Season 1. It's amazing.
Old 07-26-17, 10:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hells to the yeah now that Ali is on board. Hopefully, that means the ship steers back on course to be great like Season 1 instead of the meh of season 2.
Old 07-26-17, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Watch season 2 first, then season 1. Then you'll really appreciate season 1. Season 2 wasn't that bad, but season 1 set the bar pretty damn high. Here's to hoping season 3 can bring some of that magic back.
Old 07-27-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just watch Season 1. It's amazing.
Season 2 was just fine. Season one was not amazing. It was very good. The ending ruined it.

There some awesome Netflix foreign series about 4-9 episodes each that blow away True Detective.
Old 07-27-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Season 2 is unfairly panned. People wanted another Thomas Harrisesque pysch-101 season, but I'm glad season 2 went in a different direction, while still featuring the themes of corruption in a bureaucratic world and the symbolic decay of small town America.
Old 07-28-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Season 2 needed far more panning, tbh. Jesus, that was just so bad.
Old 07-28-17, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Season 2 needed far more panning, tbh. Jesus, that was just so bad.
Yup, it was awful in every possible way. Even the much-publicized orgy scene was awful. Lots of us watched it weekly and by the end nobody was still defending that mess.
Originally Posted by d2cheer
Season 2 was just fine. Season one was not amazing. It was very good. The ending ruined it.
Give me a break. Defending season 2 and then complaining about the ending of Season 1? Did you forget that Season 2 ended in a quest for better cell reception in a forest?
Old 08-31-17, 10:04 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

It's official: HBO is moving forward with a third season of anthology True Detective.

Nic Pizzolatto will serve as the lone writer on the season save for David Milch, who co-wrote the fourth episode. (An episode count has not yet been revealed.)

Pizzolatto, who created the series, will serve as showrunner and direct alongside relative newcomer Jeremy Saulnier. Executive producers include Pizzolatto, Saulnier, Scott Stephens and season one stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey as well as original director Cary Joji Fukunaga. Steve Golin, Bard Dorros and Richard Brown will also be credited as exec producers.

Season three will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.

As previously announced, Oscar winner Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) will topline season three as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

"I'm tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy. I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we're all very excited to tell this story," Pizzolatto, who has an overall deal with HBO, said Thursday in a statement.

HBO would not officially confirm that they were moving forward with a third season of True Detective until they found a director who would work with Pizzolatto on the series, which broke out after its freshman run but failed to win over critics with its polarizing second star-studded season. (The Hollywood Reporter chief TV critic Tim Goodman called it "confusing.")

"Nic has written truly remarkable scripts. With his ambitious vision and Mahershala Ali and Jeremy Saulnier aboard, we are excited to embark on the next installment of True Detective," said HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

Rumors have swirled for months about the future of True Detective. News leaked in March that Deadwood creator Milch was teaming with Pizzolatto on season three.

A premiere date has not yet been determined. Bloys said in July that Pizzolatto had almost the entirety of True Detective season three written — "I've read five scripts on the new season and I think they're terrific," the exec told reporters at TCA.

The True Detective revival comes as HBO is heading into 2018 likely without its highest-rated show in Game of Thrones (which probably won't be back until 2019), though Westworld — which wrapped in late 2016 — is set to return next year. HBO's drama lineup also consists of David Simon's The Deuce and the forthcoming Sharp Objects adaptation.
Old 08-31-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap Jeremy Saulnier is directing? My interest is way up.
Old 09-01-17, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Holy crap Jeremy Saulnier is directing? My interest is way up.
Yup. That makes me extremely interested.

Without looking at IMDb I can't even remember who directed Season 2 besides Justin Lin. I don't think they should have a bunch of directors like they did with that season.
Old 09-01-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Season 2 needed whats her face naked. =)
Old 09-01-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Yup. That makes me extremely interested.

Without looking at IMDb I can't even remember who directed Season 2 besides Justin Lin. I don't think they should have a bunch of directors like they did with that season.
The directors they hired were solid, including GoT directors Jeremy Podeswa(who did 6 episodes including most recent season finale) and Miguel Sapochnik(4 episodes including Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards) and Daniel Attias who directed Homeland and The Americans.
Old 09-01-17, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The directors they hired were solid, including GoT directors Jeremy Podeswa(who did 6 episodes including most recent season finale) and Miguel Sapochnik(4 episodes including Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards) and Daniel Attias who directed Homeland and The Americans.
I never said they weren't. I know who they are when I looked on IMDb. The issue was that Season 1 had a singular vision and benefited from it.

Last edited by dex14; 09-01-17 at 09:59 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.