Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Nyqvist (Girl With Dragon Tattoo, MI 4 & John Wick) just passed away

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, who starred in the original “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” films alongside Noomi Rapace, died on Tuesday following a battle with lung cancer, his representative confirmed. He was 56.

“On behalf of Michael Nyqvist’s representatives and family, it is with deep sadness that I can confirm that our beloved Michael, one of Sweden’s most respected and accomplished actors, has passed away quietly surrounded by family after a year long battle with lung cancer,” said his rep in a statement. “Michael’s joy and passion were infectious to those who knew and loved him. His charm and charisma were undeniable, and his love for the arts was felt by all who had the pleasure of working with him.”

Though best known for his role in the Swedish “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” trilogy, Nyqvist also broke into American film. He played the villain alongside Tom Cruise in “Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol” and starred as Viggo Tarasov in “John Wick” with Keanu Reeves.

Nyqvist first garnered international attention as Mikael Blomkvist in “Millennium,” a six-part television series based on Stieg Larsson’s books following Lisbeth Salander. The series aired on Swedish television in six parts, and was expanded on three theatrically released films in 2009: “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” “The Girl Who Played With Fire,” and “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.”

The Swedish series’ success helped spawn an American film adaptation, which was released in 2011. Daniel Craig took over Nyqvist’s role as Blomkvist, and Rooney Mara starred as Lisbeth Salander.

Nyqvist found his first big breakthrough in 2000 with Lukas Moodysson’s “Together.” The dramedy starred Nyqvist as a misguided husband with anger issues, and earned him his first Guldbagge Award nomination for best actor.

He also appeared in “Colonia” (2015), starring Emma Watson and Daniel Brühl, and in Donovan Marsh’s 2017 action-thriller “Hunter Killer” with Gerard Butler and Gary Oldman.

His additional Swedish film credits include “As It Is in Heaven” (2004), “Suddenly” (2006), “The Black Pimpernel” (2007), and “The Guy in the Grave Next Door” (2002), for which Nyqvist won a Guldbagge Award for best actor for his role as Benny the farmer. He also appeared in American films “Frank and Lola,” “Disconnect,” and “Europa Report.”

Nyqvist was an author as well, publishing autobiographical memoir “Just After Dreaming” (“När barnet lagt sig” in Swedish) in 2010. The novel was a compilation of memories from his childhood, and details his life from his adoption as a baby to tracking down his biological parents at age 30.

He is survived by his wife, Catharina, and their children, Ellen and Arthur.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mi...oo-1202479889/
Old 06-27-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Michael Nyqvist (Girl With Dragon Tattoo, MI 4 & John Wick) just passed away

Only 56, damn.
Old 06-27-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Michael Nyqvist (Girl With Dragon Tattoo, MI 4 & John Wick) just passed away

Only 56?! I only saw him in a handful of films (all the ones mentioned in the Thread title), but I always loved his work. I was very impressed with his portrayal of the journalist in Dragon Tattoo. It is still one of my favorite recent films.

RIP
Old 06-27-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Can't say I've seen a lot of his work. But, I do remember him from John Wick.

Sad that he died so young.
Old 06-27-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

He was also in Europa Report -- such an underrated flick.
Old 06-27-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if he was a heavy smoker.
Old 06-27-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Aw that sucks, i really enjoy his work.
Old 06-27-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't know he had lung cancer, that really sucks. Seemed like he was getting good work in the US lately too after the Dragon Tattoo movies became hits.
Old 06-27-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Goddammit!!!
Old 06-27-17, 09:21 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

No relation to Sven Nyqvist I presume. Come to think of it that might not even be the right spelling.
Old 06-27-17, 11:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

That sucks. Love the first Girl... movie and he was so good. Much better than Craig. No comparison really, though I did like the remake.
Old 06-28-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

At least it wasn't by a funcking pencil!

Saw this pop up last night and was shocked. Too young and wasn't even aware he was battling anything.
I kinda liked his character in Zero Hour. Enjoyed that show a lot.
Old 06-28-17, 12:54 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Really liked him in last year's "Frank & Lola"
Old 06-28-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
At least it wasn't by a funcking pencil!
It was shocking he is so young, I love watching this scene, I quote it way too much.