Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Friends From College (Netflix) S: Michael-Key, Smulders, Savage, Faxon, Parisse

Good cast. Looks funny.

Old 07-14-17, 06:35 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Friends From College (Netflix) -- S: Michael-Key, Smulders, Savage, Faxon, Pariss

A group of friends from Harvard played by Keegan-Michael Key (Ethan), Cobie Smulders (Lisa), Annie Parisse (Sam), Nat Faxon (Nick), Fred Savage (Max) and Jae Suh Park (Marianne) are facing down their forties. With interwoven and oftentimes complicated relationships with one another Friends from College is a comedic exploration of old friendships, former romantic entanglements and balancing adult life with nostalgia for the past.The series is executive produced by Nicholas Stoller (Neighbors, Neighbors: Sorority Rising, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him to the Greek), who also directed all eight episodes. Francesca Delbanco serves as an EP and writer.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Annie Parisse as Sam
· Cobie Smulders as Lisa
· Fred Savage as Max
· Jae Suh Park as Marianne
· Keegan-Michael Key as Ethan
· Nat Faxon as Nick

CREW INFORMATION:
· Francesca Delbanco as CRTR/EP
· Nick Stoller as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
All 8 episodes of the first season are up on Netflix.
Old 07-14-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Friends From College (Netflix) - C: Stoller, S: Michael-Key, Smulders, Savage, Fa

Reviews seem pretty bad

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/fr...m_college/s01/
Old 07-14-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Friends From College (Netflix) - C: Stoller, S: Michael-Key, Smulders, Savage, Fa

Too bad about the reviews. I will probably watch anyway with my wife since we are lacking anything to watch this summer.
Old 07-14-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just the trailer for this thing got on my nerves. All the characters seem like selfish assholes, and the humor looks forced and unfunny.
Old 07-14-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I just can't get past Fred Savage as an adult as he will be that kid from The Wonder Years.
Old 07-14-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw the preview disc of the first two eps a couple months back. It was awful.
Old 07-14-17, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched it this morning. It has some funny moments. The characters of Marianne and Nick aren't that bad. The rest of the characters are very unlikable and not in an entertaining way. It was slog to get through the main reason I kept watching was to see if a certain secret was revealed in the finale. It's a disappointment and I understand why it's getting bad reviews.

Netflix has been axing more shows lately and I can see them not renewing this. As much as I love Keegan Michael Key's comedic acting-he was awful in some of the more serious scenes.
Old 07-23-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

First ep was ok.

Second is awful. Like a bad ep if Three's company.

Key and that other woman were like watching an ep of the three stooges.
Old 07-23-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Finished this. While I liked it, I wouldn't say it was great, or even very good. Fred Savage's character is the only one in this you don't want to punch in the face by the end. Everyone of the other main characters (maybe outside of the Asian girl) do something that makes them unredeeming. Quite often in many of the episodes, the characters all get together and yell over each other. Very annoying. I would say it's not a great comedy, but there are some decent moments in it. I would probably watch a second season if only because my wife watched with me and she was entertained by it.
Old 07-24-17, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Finished this. While I liked it, I wouldn't say it was great, or even very good. Fred Savage's character is the only one in this you don't want to punch in the face by the end. Everyone of the other main characters (maybe outside of the Asian girl) do something that makes them unredeeming. Quite often in many of the episodes, the characters all get together and yell over each other. Very annoying. I would say it's not a great comedy, but there are some decent moments in it. I would probably watch a second season if only because my wife watched with me and she was entertained by it.
That was one of the things that annoyed me about the group of friends and they always thought their antics were funny, but they were just annoying and tiresome like in the wine tasting episode and the wedding episode.
Old 07-25-17, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Quite often in many of the episodes, the characters all get together and yell over each other. Very annoying.
Isn't this the whole premise of It's Always Sunny, though?
Old 08-21-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Renewed for 2nd season: http://deadline.com/2017/08/friends-...ix-1202153190/
Old 08-21-17, 08:07 PM

I'm kind of surprised it got renewed. Hopefully, the writing will improve in season 2.
Old 09-20-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This renewal was the reason why I watched. My wife and I enjoyed this a lot, it was an easy 30 min an ep watch, and Keegan-Michael Key makes almost anything watchable. Fun cast as well.

Will def watch season 2.
Old 09-20-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

couldn't finish the first episode. Really surprised it was renewed...
Old 09-20-17, 11:30 AM

I stopped after maybe 3 or 4 episodes.
Old 01-04-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Just background-watched the whole season after it appeared in the Netflix feed, and it was OK. I like Key, Smulders is fine, and Parisse was attractive. I might background-watch a second season.
Old 01-10-19, 07:03 AM

Re: Friends From College (Netflix) S: Michael-Key, Smulders, Savage, Faxon, Parisse

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xyiB6yKucy0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jubZte-PZUE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Netflix announces Friends From College Season 2 will launch globally on January 11, 2019. Season 2 of Friends From College follows six Harvard alums in their 40s living in New York City and the complicated relationships they have with each other. It's been a year since Ethan & Sam's affair was exposed to the 4 other friends - including Lisa, Ethan's wife - and the friend group is still fractured. No one has heard from Lisa, Ethan has been living a repentant year of writing a YA novel, and Sam has been trying to repair her marriage with her husband Jon. But with Max's wedding coming up, the friends won't be able to avoid each other much longer. Between the engagement party, bachelor party, and wedding, the six will have to overcome the destruction in their past and figure out how to function as a friend group again. Will they be able to move forward or will they regress back to their old destructive patterns once again?
Old 01-10-19, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Isn't this the whole premise of It's Always Sunny, though?
That's actually why I stopped watching that show.
Old 01-10-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Friends From College (Netflix) S: Michael-Key, Smulders, Savage, Faxon, Parisse

I kinda liked this, will tune in again...
Old 02-18-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Canceled: https://deadline.com/2019/02/friends...co-1202559898/
Old 02-19-19, 08:13 AM

Not surprising.
Old 02-19-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Bummer. This 2nd season was vastly improved.
Old 02-19-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I couldn't make it past the first two or three episodes. Whichever one had the introduction of Smulders to her new coworkers. If I was 17 again, I might think it was funny. Today, it was cringe worthy that it made it through the writer's sessions. The cast list seemed like it would be great, but Key was a live-action cartoon, and an ass. His mistress friend wasn't any more likeable. Smulders was fine, but I had a feeling she'd get annoying, too. Savage and Park were the only ones I thought were tolerable.