Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019, D: Stahelski) News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 01:40 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

When John Wick ended, it felt like a conclusion that could be continued if warranted, but it also felt like a complete story that didn’t require a sequel. By comparison, John Wick: Chapter 2 ends with a massive cliffhanger, and fans would be furious if the story didn’t continue. Thankfully, John Wick: Chapter 2 grossed about twice as much as the original, which is good since John Wick 3 was in the works as early as last October.

Today, Tommy Cook spoke with John Wick: Chapter 2 director Chad Stahelski for the home release of the film (it’s now available on Digital HD and will be on 4K, Blu-ray, and DVD on June 13th), and they discussed the status of John Wick 3. They led off by talking about where the sequel is in the pre-production process.

“Yeah — we’re currently in the middle of writing it right now,” Stahelski said of the film’s status, and it seems like the film pretty much has a greenlight; it’s just waiting on the filmmakers to get everything into place. When asked when they might start filming, Stahelski replied, “It’s more of a how fast can we get our shit together. But I would assume that if not by the end of this year, the beginning of next year.”

However, the question becomes if Stahelski will get behind the camera for the sequel. He co-directed John Wick with David Leitch, but Leitch went on to direct Atomic Blonde instead of returning for Chapter 2. For Stahelski part, he’s now attached to the Highlander reboot, so where does that leave John Wick 3? Stahelski says he’s “super involved” with the sequel right now and loves the property, but “Currently I’m acting as prep director. Hopefully everything will work out time wise. Of course — I would love to…”

While the lack of Stahelski or Leitch (who’s currently busy with Deadpool 2) would certainly leave fans apprehensive about who lands in the director’s chair, Stahelski says they have a clear direction where they want to go in terms of expanding the franchise’s mythology:

“We want, not so much to go bigger on the third one, but to show you more of the intricacies of the world… I feel like there are all these different subtleties that I skipped over in Number Two, that I’d like to go back to on [chapter three] and show you the inner workings of different parts of New York. So rather than massive set pieces, I’d like to show you cooler and more intricate ones… I think it would be a mistake budget wise and creatively to just go big and blow up a freeway. That’s not our gig. That’s a comic book or a Bond gig. We want to show you cool and intricate details. What are those little details in everyday life? Hopefully – we make people look at garbage collectors and cleaner vans and homeless people a little differently now.”

So don’t worry—John Wick will remain John Wick where you want to look around every corner to see how this world works rather than trying to wow you with massive CGI set pieces.

They also know where they want to take Wick’s emotional arc in the third movie:

“We’re very comfortable with where we want [John Wick] to go in the third one and what Keanu wants to do. If you really watch the first and second one, there’s only one place it can go — so I’ll let you sort that out.”

And although we know some of Wick’s backstory from what’s been implied in the previous movies, Stahelski says more revelations will only come from action, not from some exposition dump:

“Yeah, definitely — but it’s about John revealing it. It’s not about you finding a hidden book or a secret map about who John Wick is. Anyone watching can start piecing it together. You know he’s had some serious training. Was it military? Ehh — he kind of looks military. Where’s he from? Well — he speaks all these languages. We’re giving you the pieces and I think it’s always good… Hopefully in five years, you and your buddies will talk about how ‘he’s this or he’s that.’ We’ll give you a couple more pieces and let you stitch it together.”

What do you want to see in John Wick 3? Do you want to see Stahelski return to direct or do you think someone else should take the reins? Sound off in the comments section.
http://collider.com/john-wick-3-filming-chad-stahelski/
Old 05-24-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
re: John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019, D: Stahelski) News, rumors, etc.

Watched #2 last night. Amazing series and would love a part 3
Old 05-24-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I just hope they don't rush it, and the third one being a worse movie. I am so thankful for discovering the John Wick movies this past year, it gives me hope that Hollywood is still capable of making pure masculine movies that are made for men.
Old 05-24-17, 02:58 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I hear the third one will have a lot of intricacies.
Old 05-24-17, 03:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I just hope they don't rush it, and the third one being a worse movie. I am so thankful for discovering the John Wick movies this past year, it gives me hope that Hollywood is still capable of making pure masculine movies that are made for men.
Not just masculine movies for men, but ones where there's so sense of vulnerability. Not to derail too much, but why Jason Stathum was a career I have no idea. I've only like him in Lock Stock... and The Bank Job ( decent in Cellular was well). He may be "bad ass" in a lot of his movies (trailers never interested me much, and most of his movies outside of franchises look exactly the same from one film to the next), but there's something inaccessible about him. I'm probably being. But then again I disagree that Keanu Reeves can't act either, so to each their own I guess.
Old 06-01-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

JUNE 01, 2017 12:12pm PT by Borys Kit
'John Wick 3' Brings Back Writer Derek Kolstad (Exclusive)
He penned the screenplays for the first two Keanu Reeves hits.

Derek Kolstad, who penned the Keanu Reeves hits John Wick and John Wick: Chapter 2, will keep the bullets flying.

The scribe has been tapped to pen the screenplay for the third installment of the action franchise, John Wick: Chapter 3, for Lionsgate and producer Basil Iwanyk.

Chapter 3 is being fast-tracked to start production this fall with Reeves expected to reprise his role of beleaguered hitman John Wick. Chad Stahelski, who co-directed the first movie with Derek Leitch and sat solo behind the camera for the second one, is working with Kolstad and developing the project with an eye to direct it.

The two Wick installments have made over $250 million worldwide while being smartly and modestly budgeted. The movies, which took audiences deep into a worldwide society of assassins, have also been a hit with critics.

Bringing back Kolstad is seen as keeping the creative team intact and not messing up a winning combination.

Kolstad wrote the original Wick on spec; it was originally titled Scorn. The writer is keeping a handle on his creation’s activities outside the movies, having also written the VR video game, John Wick: Chronicles (currently available on Steam), and is consulting on the John Wick comic book series, coming out later this year.

Kolstad is repped by APA, Circle of Confusion and Behr Abramson Levy.
Old 06-01-17, 08:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

great news!
Old 06-01-17, 08:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

More of the same is good. Don't rock the boat too much, and I liked the sequel.
Old 06-02-17, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Already watched the sequel 4-5 times now.

Can't fucking wait.
Old 06-02-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great series. Keanu's best role since Neo in the FIRST Matrix.
Old 09-14-17, 05:57 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Coming May 17, 2019:
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jo...es-1202559642/
Old 09-14-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Prime spot like that in 2019? Not so smart. It'll get swallowed up. Wick worked as strong programming in traditionally dead months. Bumping it up to compete against Avengers and every other big hitter that summer is dumb.
Old 09-14-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

When John Wick ended, it felt like a conclusion that could be continued if warranted, but it also felt like a complete story that didn’t require a sequel.
I disagree. The ending of part 2 felt like it was left as a cliffhanger completely on purpose. I would have been pissed if a part 3 wasn't made and I certainly wouldn't have felt part 1 and 2 was a "complete story"
Old 09-14-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I disagree. The ending of part 2 felt like it was left as a cliffhanger completely on purpose. I would have been pissed if a part 3 wasn't made and I certainly wouldn't have felt part 1 and 2 was a "complete story"
I think that's referring to the first film. In fact, read the very next sentence.
Old 09-14-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Prime spot like that in 2019? Not so smart. It'll get swallowed up. Wick worked as strong programming in traditionally dead months. Bumping it up to compete against Avengers and every other big hitter that summer is dumb.
I miss the days of R rated action movies getting summer releases. The 3rd movie will be a modest budget movie compared to those bigger summer movies, why wouldn't the same audience show up for it in the summer and make it a hit? It's counter programming to everything else.
Old 09-14-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I think that's referring to the first film. In fact, read the very next sentence.

My reading comprehension is shit.
Old 09-14-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just watched JW2 last night. I'm up for JW3. Third time's charm.

Although this little bit... "If you really watch the first and second one, there’s only one place it can go — so I’ll let you sort that out.”... can only lead to one inescapable conclusion, and that's depressing. I really hope they don't go there.
Old 09-15-17, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I dont think it would make much of a difference, it's not like these movies are huge blockbusters. Those of us who love these movies will go regardless, in my opinion.
Old 09-15-17, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's 2 weeks after Avengers and has no immediate competition listed (it's counter programming for Aladdin and Minecraft). I think it's fine there.
Old 09-15-17, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
Just watched JW2 last night. I'm up for JW3. Third time's charm.

Although this little bit... "If you really watch the first and second one, there’s only one place it can go — so I’ll let you sort that out.”... can only lead to one inescapable conclusion, and that's depressing. I really hope they don't go there.

New York City. That's what they're referring to, not the death of John Wick. A return to the city after some globe-trotting in the third film. They flat-out state this on the audio commentary for 2 as well as drop hints on other things we might expect to see ie. the "High Table" and how it works, Leguizamo having a more active role, etc.

--
Old 10-03-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as guy action goes, my wife and I saw pt 1 tonight and she was crying her eyes out 5 mins in and again over the dog, but she was in and LOVED the movie.

I did too! Gimme more!
Old 01-19-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/228...nd-its-villain

Hiroyuki Sanada reportedly cast as the villain.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/j...filming-latest

Chad Stahelski will direct again. Production begins in March.
Old 01-19-18, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ Technically, "everybody" is the villain. lol
Old 01-19-18, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Can't wait!
Old 01-19-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Bring it on. Seriously, the best thing Keanu has done since the Matrix trilogy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.