Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tomas Milian has passed away

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my favorite actors from the Spaghetti Western films.

Veteran actor Tomas Milian was best known for his work in Italian westerns and genre films

If you’re a Spaghetti Western fan or just a reader who is well-schooled in international cinema’s finest actors, you’ll know the name Tomas Milian. Sadly, we’ve just learned that the beloved Cuban American/Italian actor and singer passed away yesterday at the age of 84.

Milian honed his craft under legendary NYC teacher Lee Strasberg and applied that training when acting a myriad amazing genre films in Europe throughout the 1960s, including the savage gore western Django Kill, the humorous Run, Man, Run and Tepepa as well as cult favorites Companeros, Four of the Apocalypse, Almost Human and Don’t Torture a Duckling. He also made memorable appearances in Bernardo Bertolucci’s Luna, Tony Scott’s Revenge, Oliver Stone’s JFK, Steven Spielberg’s Amistad, Steven Soderbergh’s Traffic and many, many more.

He will be missed by his many fans all over the world and he leaves a rich legacy of intense and often comedic performances in scores of amazing movies. RIP sir…

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...lian-1933-2017
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n3D4sxMzUQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-23-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Tomas Milian has passed away

*Paging Ash Ketchum*
Old 03-23-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dug some of his spaghetti western work and "Almost Human" is a kick-ass movie. Very prolific dude.

Old 03-23-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Lots of poliziotteschi and a couple of gialli.
Old 03-23-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

RIP
Old 03-24-17, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

THE UGLY ONES (aka THE BOUNTY KILLER) was the very first Italian western I saw.
Old 03-25-17, 06:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I truly loved the guy's work, and he was also great in interviews, seemed pretty down to earth in many ways but was also confidently cocky regarding his talent. Some of my favs of his are "The Big Gundown", "Companeros", "The Cynic, the Rat and the Fist" and "Tepepa".

RIP Tomas.
Old 03-25-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slybone
I truly loved the guy's work, and he was also great in interviews, seemed pretty down to earth in many ways but was also confidently cocky regarding his talent. Some of my favs of his are "The Big Gundown", "Companeros", "The Cynic, the Rat and the Fist" and "Tepepa".

RIP Tomas.
Yes, he did great interviews! My favorite films were "The Big Gundown," "Run Man, Run," and "Companeros." Still haven't seen "Tepepa" yet.
Old 03-25-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

"This is sad news"
Spoiler:
is what I would say if I had ever heard of this person
Old 03-25-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
"Companeros"
Originally Posted by slybone
"Companeros"
One of my all-time favorite Buddy movies.
Old 03-27-17, 07:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely my favorite actor from Italian cinema. He could play the most likeable hero and could just as easily play the nastiest villain. Incredible range. Most impressive is that he made sure every character he played was unique.
Old 03-27-17, 08:44 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

For those not familiar, Tomas was great. He made several good spaghetti westerns and as already mentioned, had a variety of ranges he could play. The Big Gundown is probably my favorite of his. I remember seeing him in Traffic and having to do a double-take. Don't remember him in JFK, will have to look that up.

Bud Spencer passed away last year at 86 and now Tomas at 84.

Last edited by Geofferson; 03-27-17 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Bud Spencer passed away last year at 86 and now Tomas at 84.

There's really not that many of them left:

George Hilton
Gianni Garko
Terence Hill
George Eastman
Tony Anthony

I noticed a LOT of the Italian/Spanish actors died between 2005-2010.
Old 03-27-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Tony Anthony, I keep meaning to pick up that "Stranger" trilogy from Warner Archive.
Old 03-27-17, 09:42 PM

Speaking of Tony Anthony, I keep meaning to pick up that "Stranger" trilogy from Warner Archive.

Have you seen Blindman? I'd go with that one first. A great looking uncut DVD just came out. The Stranger 3 pack is a good value too. No duds.
Old 03-27-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctor Kick
Have you seen Blindman? I'd go with that one first. A great looking uncut DVD just came out. The Stranger 3 pack is a good value too. No duds.
I have Blindman on one of those poor-quality Spaghetti Western compilations, and it didn't really grab me. I'm a big Zatoichi fan, and I didn't think the premise worked as well in a Western. I don't know, maybe I'd appreciate it more if I saw a version of it in better picture quality.
Old 03-27-17, 10:20 PM

I have Blindman on one of those poor-quality Spaghetti Western compilations, and it didn't really grab me. I'm a big Zatoichi fan, and I didn't think the premise worked as well in a Western. I don't know, maybe I'd appreciate it more if I saw a version of it in better picture quality.
Nah, the good uncut version is only for fans of Blindman. Interested to see what you think of the first 3 Stranger movies. I think there's a fourth called Get Mean but I haven't seen it.

Back on track with Milian. I ordered the new-ish Sonny and Jed/The Ugly Ones double feature. I'll have to pop it in right away to pay my respects to one of the greatest actors. I haven't seen Sonny and Jed, and The Ugly Ones is one of my favorite movies. Can't wait to see it with good picture and sound. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Doctor Kick; 03-27-17 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 06:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Kick
Nah, the good uncut version is only for fans of Blindman. Interested to see what you think of the first 3 Stranger movies. I think there's a fourth called Get Mean but I haven't seen.
I have the Warner Archives Stranger Collection and it is quite good, also have the Get Mean BD/DVD combo, that one's OK but not as good as the 1st 3 films. Most Tony Anthony fans also know that Comin' At Ya is out on 3D Blu now, I have it but have yet to watch it. If you can't get enough Tony then there's also Treasure of the Four Crowns. It was also a 3D film, but as of yet it's only out in 2D and a pretty bad 4x3 print on a Shout Factory 4 pack DVD, you might skip that one unless you really have to have it.
Old 06-20-17, 01:06 PM

I figure I may as well comment on this DVD here. I watched the Milian Wild East 2 pack. Sonny and Jed was an ok movie. Picture and sound was pleasing. The Ugly Ones aka Bounty Killer was only a slight improvement on the version that comes in the multipacks. I thought it was the exact same version after watching for a couple minutes, but the picture and sound is slightly improved. The good news is that it's anamorphic and the running time is longer. I think it was something like 6 minutes longer. And there's interviews and some other little things included. I give it a thumbs up. Good job Wild East.

Last edited by Doctor Kick; 06-20-17 at 01:12 PM.