Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 01:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

First Sling, then Vue, then Hulu, and now...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/4/115...-service-rumor

YouTube is reportedly building a streaming cable service called Unplugged

Another giant is trying to make internet TV happen
By Chris Welch on May 4, 2016

YouTube is entering the online TV landscape. Bloomberg News reports that the company is working on a subscription-based streaming service called "Unplugged" that would let customers stream a bundle of cable channels. YouTube has been working on such a product since 2012, according to the report, but has ramped up efforts recently as other companies including Dish, Sony, and now Hulu have launched or plan to deliver premium internet TV offerings. The current goal is to launch Unplugged in 2017, and YouTube has already made behind-the-scenes infrastructure changes to meet that target.

Talks have been ongoing with all the big content players — NBCUniversal, CBS, Twenty-First Century Fox, and Viacom — but so far YouTube has been unable to lock down deals with any of them, the report says. This is the same sort of roadblock that led Apple to pause on its own web TV plans. But companies like Sling have been able to piece together so-called "skinny bundles" for rates starting at $20 per month. YouTube is aiming to price Unplugged at under $35 monthly, according to Bloomberg News.

It sounds similar to Sling TV in other ways, as well. YouTube is apparently considering selling "theme" packs of additional, less-watched channels as add-ons to a primary bundle. Dish is already doing that with Sling, offering extra content for specific categories like kids, sports, and news. But selling a service based on second-tier programming probably isn't the best strategy. It's likely that YouTube is considering many different options for how best to bring Unplugged to market.

This paid service would be yet another source of revenue for YouTube on top of the ad-supported main site and premium YouTube Red subscription service launched last fall. The Red product offers exclusive access to videos from popular YouTubers, but it's not anything that approaches cable TV. The Verge has reached out to YouTube and parent company Alphabet for comment.
Old 05-04-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: YouTube: Unplugged (cable streaming service from YouTube)

Does ANYONE subscribe to YouTube Red? I don't even know what you get from that, besides maybe no pre-video ads which my Adblocker already gets rid of.
Old 05-04-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

A coworker was telling me that if you use Red, you also get Google Music for free. That seems like a not bad deal.
Old 05-07-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

That is exactly why I subscribe. I switched over from Spotify. I pay the same a month, but also get to use YouTube adfree.
Old 05-10-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They also have a lot of premium content made in partnership with their popular vloggers. Not my bag, but there seems to be a sizable market for it.
Old 05-10-16, 05:00 PM

So there's stuff you can only see if you pay for this?
Old 05-10-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Does ANYONE subscribe to YouTube Red? I don't even know what you get from that, besides maybe no pre-video ads which my Adblocker already gets rid of.
I had YouTube Red when I recently snagged a Google Music trial membership. It was nice to have a video's audio still play when I minimized the app on my phone. (Usually, that stops a video.) I didn't seek out any of their exclusive content, though.

I wouldn't pay for a YouTube Red membership, but it's a nice perk added to a Google Music one.
Old 05-10-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So there's stuff you can only see if you pay for this?
Yes. I haven't seen anything worth watching though.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqV...KeBU_yyt_QkItQ
Old 05-11-16, 12:21 PM

Ugh- whole point of YouTube is that it's been stuff people just want to share, and are happy if anyone watches it at all.
Old 05-11-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

How does Unplugged make sense as a name? Because you're unplugging your cable? But you're not unplugging YouTube.
Old 05-12-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have Google Play, but have yet to check out YouTube Red.
Old 02-28-17, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
YouTube to launch Live TV streaming service (YouTube TV)

http://deadline.com/2017/02/youtube-...ks-1202028418/

YouTube’s much-rumored live TV bundle will launch “in the next few months” with more than 40 channels at $35 a month, the Google-owned video portal said today in unveiling the service dubbed YouTube TV. The Internet-based “skinny bundle” will compete with the likes of AT&T’s DirecTV Now, Sling TV and Sony’s PlayStation Vue.

Hulu is prepping a similar service and Apple TV wants to. YouTube’s version was tipped to launch sometime this spring at around a $40 price point.

The Big Four broadcast networks — ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox — will be available at launch, along with their associated cable channels such as ESPN, USA Network and FX. Showtime will be available for an additional fee. The package includes 10 sports networks, MSNBC, CBS News, Fox News, Disney Channel, Bravo and E! as well as local channel offerings and YouTube Red original TV and film content.

Users can add up to six accounts per subscription, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said today in unveiling the first concrete details of the service. Users will be able to record unlimited shows at once with its cloud-based DVR, with no storage limits. Each account will have its own tailored recommendations and its own personal DVR. A voice command function also is in the works.

Currently, said YouTube’s Chief Product Officer Neal Mohan, there are “no plans to roll-out [YouTube TV] internationally” as the “focus is to have a successful launch” in the U.S.

The major networks air television’s most popular programming, so they are considered must-haves for services that hope to compete with cable and satellite — as well as one another. The challenge is to assemble enough popular programming without running up the cost.
Old 02-28-17, 05:36 PM

re: YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/28/...ve-tv-service/

...always a catch with this stuff, isn't there? From the linked article:

Still, there are a lot of major networks missing. Most notable are channels from Viacom, Discovery, A&E, AMC and Turner (including TBS and TNT). CNN is also notably absent from the news networks available. This is a place where PlayStation Vue has an advantage -- the $35 plan from Sony includes CNN, TBS, TNT, AMC and a number of other channels that YouTube TV doesn't offer.
Not a deal breaker for everyone, but without AMC, that's going to put quite a few folks off I would imagine. No option for HBO either that I can see, but then again I suppose a cord-cutter could always subscribe to HBO NOW in addition to this.
Old 02-28-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I've been really looking into switching to a skinny bundle, but only Directv Now and Sling TV have Viacom channels and I watch a lot of shows on CMT and MTV. As of right now, Sling TV and Directv Now don't have cloud dvrs. I'm interested to see what channels the Hulu skinny bundle will have.
Old 04-05-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/05...vice-launches/

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

$35

1 month free trial. Limited promo of free chrome cast device. Unlimited DVR, 6 accounts, 3 streams at the same time, etc.

For me, channel list is barely OK, compared to DirecTV Now (what I have right now), but they are missing some that are important to me, AMC (TWD!), Nick (SpongeBob!), and some spanish channels. Pros: unlimited DVR, infrastructure should be better, so no issues with streaming, I hope, like with the competition. Also, CBS channels is a plus, because DirecTV Now is missing those.

Oh, one big issue, for me right now, no AppleTV app. You have to stream to your TV using another device. I guess this one is more for millennials.

Channel list:
Spoiler:

Find out what each network has to offer.

BROADCAST
ABC
CBS
The CW (live or on demand depending on region)
FOX
NBC

SPORTS
Big Ten Network
CBS Sports Network
Comcast RSN
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3
ESPNews
ESPNU
Fox RSN
FS1
FS2
Golf Channel
NBCSN
NECN
SEC Network

ENTERTAINMENT & LIFESTYLE
Bravo
Chiller
E!
Esquire
Freeform
FX
FXM
FXX
Nat Geo
Nat Geo Wild
Oxygen
SyFy
Universal HD
USA
YouTube Red Originals

NEWS
CNBC
Fox Business
Fox News
MSNBC

KIDS
Disney Channel
Disney Jr
Disney XD
Sprout

Sports and premium networks like SHOWTIME and Fox Soccer Plus are also available for an additional monthly charge.
*NFL live streams can be viewed on your computer and TV using YouTube TV, but aren’t available on mobile.
Old 04-05-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Very barebones. Probably more as you said more for Millennials who watch TV on their devices and laptops. I could see College kids using this service since cable is way too expensive for students.

Next up, Hulu Live. Curious to see how they are set up, the channel selection and infrastructure. Last I read was that Hulu Live didn't have the live rights to NBC yet.
Old 04-06-17, 08:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

So I guess it ends up being $35 for two months and a Chromecast. I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-06-17, 08:38 AM

Well crap, only available in 5 cities so far.
Old 04-07-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This just became available in the San Francisco Bay Area yesterday and I signed up for the free trial. Quality's great so far and navigation is pretty easy. Too bad about no AppleTV app though. Had to stream from my phone.
Old 10-22-17, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They got AMC sometime since my last post, and my wife wanted to watch today's premiere of The Walking Dead. Signed up with the free promo.

Still no apps, for apple tv, or xbox, or PS4. I used my iPhone and streamed to AppleTV, it has been working perfectly all night.

So far looks really good. I need to get used to the interface though, DirecTV Now was better. Maybe PS Vue was better too. DVR functionality seems just awesome.
Old 10-25-17, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I subscribed mainly for the World Series, but I may keep it for awhile. I haven't had cable for awhile, so it's kind of nice to have network TV again. I mainly watch it on my PC and tablet, and both work and look good.
Old 10-26-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It works well, as expected from Google. I hope price was lower though, under $30, closer to SlingTV.

Also, being Google you don't know they will close this project.
Old 11-02-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Android TV and Xbox one apps available now so i might have to try this out. I'm mainly worried about DVRing stuff that ends up being available on streams and getting stuck with commercials.
Old 11-02-17, 03:05 PM

Finally available in my area, but free trial is down to 7 days now. Free chromecast after first paid month mentioned on website, but not in the sign up process. Hmmmm. Still might give it a go next week off work.
Old 02-14-18, 12:34 PM

YouTube TV is adding more channels, but it’s also getting more expensive

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/1...price-increase

Turner networks including TBS, TNT, CNN, and Adult Swim are coming
By Chris Welch@chriswelch Feb 14, 2018, 9:00am EST

YouTube TV, the company’s internet TV streaming service, is expanding its programming with the addition of several Turner networks including TBS, TNT, CNN, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, truTV, and Turner Classic Movies. Those channels are all being added to the core monthly package, giving customers access to hits like Rick and Morty, TNT’s new drama The Alienist, and a nice selection of live sports. On that note, YouTube TV is also bringing NBA TV and MLB Network to the base lineup. NBA All Access and MLB.TV will be offered as optional paid add-ons “in the coming months.”

But there’s a significant downside coming along with the good news: these changes are leading to a price hike. Starting March 13th, YouTube TV’s monthly subscription cost will rise from $35 to $40. All customers who join the service prior to the 13th will be able to keep the lower $35 monthly rate going forward. And if you’ve been waiting for YouTube to add Viacom channels, that still hasn’t happened yet.

$40/month puts YouTube TV on par with Hulu’s live television service and Sony’s PlayStation Vue. Other competitors continue to offer lower starting subscription prices, however; Sling TV starts at $20, while DirecTV Now’s base package is $35. YouTube seems to believe that the unique perks of its service — a cloud DVR with no storage limits and six individual users per account — are enough to compensate for the increased price. And again, the company is giving people time to get in before it takes effect.

Hopefully these jumps in subscription cost won’t happen very often. Otherwise these internet TV businesses might suddenly start feeling more like cable (and not in a good way).

YouTube is continuing to improve availability, as well. Today it’s adding a bunch of new YouTube TV markets including: Lexington, Dayton, Honolulu, El Paso, Burlington, Plattsburgh, Richmond, Petersburg, Mobile, Syracuse, Champaign, Springfield, Columbia, Charleston, Harlingen, Wichita, Wilkes-Barre, and Scranton. With those added to the total footprint, YouTube claims its TV service is now available in the top 100 US markets and over 85 percent of US households. The product launched last April in just five cities, so that’s not bad progress for a year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.