Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Swamp Thing and The Return of Swamp Thing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kzbqK4nw3R8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HuK-A2rEFF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone have any fond memories or for that matter memories of either of these? I've only seen bits and pieces of them over the years as they were one of those movies that I always stumbled upon long after they started.

Swamp Thing I remembered mainly for Adriane Barbeau. Mostly because I hated that haircut and remember that topless scene. Seems like Wes Craven was trying but he was kind of out of his league here. I also remember him saying that the shoot was really difficult.

Return of Swamp Thing I just remember it being really campy and having a huge crush on Heather Locklear. I also remember the vegetarian line. Apparently Jim Wynorski hated the comics and I've heard that it shows when you watch the movie.

I would really like to try and re-watch these again but I'm somewhat afraid of how they are going to hold up and unfortunately they aren't shown on TV anymore.
Old 02-17-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Swamp Thing and The Return of Swamp Thing

It's been ages since I've seen them (haven't seen either since they were new to premium cable soon after their theatrical run). I liked the first one enough, but to be honest I didn't have very descriminating tastes back then Though I think it's safe to say that bad Wes Craven is still probably much better than any Jim Wynorski. The first one is on Netflix now ... maybe I'll rewatch this weekend!

If nothing else, we owe the first Swamp Thing a great debt for resulting in a reboot of the comic (of which Alan Moores run was one of my all time favorites). With all the comic movies, and remakes/reboots going on, is anyone thinking of taking another stab at a live action Swamp Thing? There's a lot of amazing material from the comics to draw from. I know there's the new Justice League Dark animated movie (which I haven't seen yet), where Swampy is a supporting character (though John Constantine started as a support character for Swamp Thing)
Old 02-17-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Loved the first film when I was a kid, and still enjoy it now.

One thing I noticed when I watched it the last time is how similar all the music is to Friday the 13th (both from Harry Manfredini).
Old 02-17-17, 03:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The original is actually quite a decent little flick. It does a pretty good job balancing camp and suspense, believe it or not. While watching it countless times as a kid growing up, there are a number of scenes that were actually rather scary at the time. The moody and atmospheric score was great and fit with the tone of the movie quite well. It's been a number of years since I've watched it in its entirety, might have to revisit it on Netflix as well.

As for part 2, it was just too cartoonish. I think I saw it maybe once and never bothered to revisit it. Maybe I should for the hell of it.
Old 02-17-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, the first one was good. The second one was a little cartoony; didn't care for it. Anyone remember the animated series? I can't recall if it was good or not. It's been so long.
Old 02-18-17, 08:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Swamp Thing and The Return of Swamp Thin

I have them both on DVD, the original film I actually have 2 DVDs of (the infamous recalled MGM DVD and the reissued PG cut). I love the first film despite its shortcomings, the second film I've only watched once, I seem to remember it struck me as kind of a kids film, maybe I'm remembering it the wrong way. I might have to watch it again to see if I still feel the same.

I don't remember an animated series, but I do remember a live-action TV series that still had Dick Durock playing the role of Swamp Thing. I think it ran for maybe 3 seasons, and it's out on DVD (Shout Factory maybe). I rented a few discs of the first season from Netflix. I remember it not being very good, but it still appealed to me on some level. Kinda lost interest after that. I might have to look into seeing it again if it's still available anywhere.
Old 02-18-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I've never seen either movie. I remeber the first one coming out when I was a kid, but my parents never took me to see it. when we got a vcr in the mid eighties I never rented it. I guess there was other stuff I would have rather watched. Now the movies are so dated and likely don't hold up well, so, I don't know if I could sit through them if I decided to watch them.
Old 02-18-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The cartoon was fun. They redid the song of Wild Thing to Swamp Thing. It was hilarious. "Swamp Thing! You make everything groovy."

Old 02-18-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

BTW, Rotten Tomatoes lied to me. Swamp Thing is not on Netflix now
Old 02-18-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Swamp Thing and The Return of Swamp Thin

Originally Posted by slybone

I don't remember an animated series, but I do remember a live-action TV series that still had Dick Durock playing the role of Swamp Thing. I think it ran for maybe 3 seasons, and it's out on DVD (Shout Factory maybe). I rented a few discs of the first season from Netflix. I remember it not being very good, but it still appealed to me on some level. Kinda lost interest after that. I might have to look into seeing it again if it's still available anywhere.
I have the first season of the live-action series on DVD. As you said, it's not objectively that good, but it's fun.
Old 02-18-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The cartoon was fun. They redid the song of Wild Thing to Swamp Thing. It was hilarious. "Swamp Thing! You make everything groovy."

I had to look that shit up.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Ve6hzFKkA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-18-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

^

Old 02-19-17, 06:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

This thread is very timely as IMDb has the original Swamp Thing featured on their homepage today as celebrating its 35th anniversary.

Happy Birthday Swampy!