Supergirl (S2E12) -- "Luthors" -- 2/13/17

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Supergirl (S2E12) -- "Luthors" -- 2/13/17

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13

SUPERGIRL

"Luthors" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

LENA IS ARRESTED - After Metallo (guest star Frederick Schmidt) breaks out of prison and frees Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong), the police blame Lena (guest star Katie McGrath) for his escape and arrest her. Despite overwhelming evidence, Kara (Melissa Benoist) refuses to believe her friend is guilty and fights to clear Lena's name. Flashbacks reveal how Lena came to be a Luthor. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) introduces Maggie (Floriana Lima) to the gang. Tawnia McKiernan directed the episode written by Robert Rovner and Cindy Lichtman. (#212). Original airdate 2/13/2017.

Episode 12 of 22
Old 02-14-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E12) -- "Luthors" -- 2/13/17

I thought this episode was boring. Like I started playing a game on my phone almost the whole episode. The beginning scene was incredibly pointless and seemed to only exist to get Maggie in the episode. It was nice to see them FINALLY pick the Cadmus storyline back up. Oh and apparently Cyborg Superman is still alive which is nice.

What worked was the Easter Eggs. Loved seeing the Black Mercy, Lex's Power Suit(well the top half anyway) and Lionel looking like the classic Lex. I also liked seeing Lex as a child. Looks like there trying to set up Lena as Supergirls Lex which I guess I would be OK with. Oh and best of all, Mr. Mrxzptlk!

What didn't work was of course Jimmy and the stupid Guardian storyline. Catco is incredibly pointless now that Cat is gone and holy cow how much drama does this show need. We have drama between Alex and Maggie, Kara and James and Mon El and James. Also what's with the weird scheduling? We have a Christmas episode airing two months late, and a Valentines episode airing the week after.
Old 02-14-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Why did Maggie randomly show up at the DEO?

It's the most open covert government facility in the country.

I still have never figured out why they didn't give Mon-El his full powers. Daxamites have identical powers to Superman and Supergirl.

I don't mind Lena Luthor becoming a Big Bad down the line. Though all the flashbacks to her childhood with Lex are hokey and need to be cut out.
Old 02-14-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Man it would have cool to see that war armor in use. Black mercy was cool, too.
Old 02-14-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I still have never figured out why they didn't give Mon-El his full powers. Daxamites have identical powers to Superman and Supergirl.
I assume it's not to show-up Supergirl, although J'onn does that a lot already.
Old 02-14-17, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Terrible, terrible, terrible. So is Supergirl a superhero show or a super-soap? Yeah, yeah, a show about female relationships. Girl power!!!
Old 02-14-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Terrible, terrible, terrible. So is Supergirl a superhero show or a super-soap? Yeah, yeah, a show about female relationships. Girl power!!!
To be fair the show hadn't changed much since it started. It has always been overly heavy on girl and relationship stuff.
Old 02-14-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pretty much blah.
Old 02-14-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Why did Maggie randomly show up at the DEO?

It's the most open covert government facility in the country.
All the secret lairs in the DC television universe are on google maps. Google knows all.
Old 02-14-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I assume it's not to show-up Supergirl, although J'onn does that a lot already.
That or there going the route of him not having his powers fully developed yet.

To be fair the show hadn't changed much since it started. It has always been overly heavy on girl and relationship stuff.
it had some of it in the first season but this season mainly from Kara and James and Wyn but this season it's been REALLY bad. Kara and Mon El is to be expected but the Guardian and lesbian storylines took it way over the top and even worse it didn't really help either of their characters and made them worse. James comes across as a wannabe and Alex comes across as an immature High Schooler.

[QUOTEWhy did Maggie randomly show up at the DEO? [/QUOTE]

She's done it a couple times. Apparently dating an agent gets you cart blanche access.
Old 02-14-17, 08:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I've really lost interest in the show this season. I think it all went downhill by moving the show out of Catco, losing Calista Flockhrt, and making every other character an alien.

The show is really no longer about Kara or her life. The character is virtually nonexistent. It's just episode after episode of Supergirl facing this adversary, then that one. Aliens all around, and Supergirl is just another alien among many.
Old 02-14-17, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sherm42
I've really lost interest in the show this season. I think it all went downhill by moving the show out of Catco, losing Calista Flockhrt, and making every other character an alien.

The show is really no longer about Kara or her life. The character is virtually nonexistent. It's just episode after episode of Supergirl facing this adversary, then that one. Aliens all around, and Supergirl is just another alien among many.
The whole show has become an allegory comparing immigrants and how they're being treated under the current administration. That and LGBT rights. It would be one thing if it was done well, but it's not.
Old 02-15-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I did at the end seeing Mr. Mxyzptlk show up.

I have a feeling next week's episode is going to be really campy.

They made a reference in this episode that Lex and Clark were best friends for many years before Lex went bad. That felt like a callback to Smallville where Lex and Clark were friends. As far as I know, especially in the movies, Lex and Clark/Superman have always been mortal enemies.

Lena Luthor reminds me a lot of Tess (Cassidy Freeman from Smallville) Conflicted sister of Lex who is battling being good or following the path of the Luthors.

She is for all intents and purposes the same character as Tess.
Old 02-15-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Lex and Clark (when he was Superboy) were friends for many years in the comics years ago, before the familiar villain turn by Lex. Smallville didn't invent that idea. Lex blamed Superboy for Lex going bald, which is what originally drove Lex going evil.

I don't have a problem with Kara having a relationship. The stuff with Mon-El has been handled reasonably well on that end. It's Alex's accelerated relationship with Maggie that has become the entire focus of her character that has been unnecessary.
Old 02-18-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
What changed is having a girl/girl relationship. Sad that is till a deal breaker for so many, but there it is. Otherwise the reality is that ALL these DC CW shows are heavy on the relationship stuff to the level where they are the primary plot focus of many episodes. Arrow all but became the Oliver and Felicity show for most of a season. Sadly I can see this one becoming the Supergirl and Mon El show in the same way.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-18-17 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
What changed is having girl/girl relationship. Sad that is till a deal breaker for so many, but there it is. Otherwise the reality is that ALL these DC CW shows are heavy on the relationship stuff to the level where they are the primary plot focus of many episodes. Arrow all but became the Oliver and Felicity show for most of a season. Sadly I can see this one becoming the Supergirl and Mon El show in the same way.
I'll be honest I think it's stupid that the producers decided to randomly make Alex a lesbian this season. The problem is in how god awful the writing of their relationship has been. Like I've said before it makes Alex look like some type of love struck teenager and is easily worse than Kara and James, Oliver and Felicity at their lowest(season 4) and Barry and Kailin look like Romeo and Juliet.

Kara and Mon El isn't bothering me because they both have actual charisma with each other, kind of like how Barry and Iris isn't bothering me since they have actual charisma now. Snart and Sara was the same way.
Old 02-18-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
I'll be honest I think it's stupid that the producers decided to randomly make Alex a lesbian this season.
All the relationships that don't go back to the comics have been random with equally terrible writing. Again, that's not the difference. Seen many of the mention here and elsewhere about the lesbian decision. I guess it could be worse given guy/guy relationships tend to bring out more of the that is wrong! backlash than when a show pairs up to good looking gals.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-18-17 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
All the relationships that don't go back to the comics have been random with equally terrible writing. Again, that's not the difference. Seen many of the mention here and elsewhere about the lesbian decision. I guess it could be worse given guy/guy relationships tend to bring out more of the that is wrong! backlash than when a show pairs up to good looking gals.
Seems no matter what the real reasons, if something involves 'dislike of something' and has either a LGBT or black involved, people will always claim the reason of dislike is simply that people are bigots who must be racist or anti-LGBT. Despite that not being the case in the majority of the cases it has been brought up in. Such as here, you have everyone telling you the reason they don't like the relationship of Maggie x Alex, and yet you chose to ignore the reasons brought up and act like that the only reason people are complaining is because they're both of the same gender. -_-

Everyone was fine when Clark and Lexa hooked up in The 100, because it was written to make sense and didn't place the characters out of character or make them absolutely dumb or bring down every scene/episode it was portrayed in. That was a girl with a girl, and no one complained. Obviously the issue people have with Maggie x Alex isn't that they're both girls.

Last edited by Koby; 02-18-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Koby, having seen many ugly comments since that storyline was first introduced, calling them bigoted would be kind. As for others, I am highly suspect of any comment that does not just categorize it as poorly written and leave it at that. No reason to bring up the homosexual aspect of it all unless that is at least part of the objection. And I have seen many the comment written that way (no mention of the lesbian aspect at all), so I am in no way saying all the reaction has been bigoted.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-18-17 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All the relationships that don't go back to the comics have been random with equally terrible writing.
Uh you realize that the two main relationships that go right back to the comics (Oliver and Laurel and Barry and Iris at the beginning) were equally as awful as Alex and Maggie right? Honestly the only relationships which haven't really sucked have been Barry and Patty and Oliver and Felicity at the beginning(before the writers made Felicity a moody,bitchy whiner) and Snart and Sara.

Koby, having seen many ugly comments since that storyline was first introduced, calling them bigoted would be kind. As for others, I am highly suspect of any comment that does not just categorize it as poorly written and leave it at that. No reason to bring up the homosexual aspect of it all unless that is at least part of the objection. And I have seen many the comment written that way (no mention of the lesbian aspect at all), so I am in no way saying all the reaction has been bigoted.
It's brought up because it's a poorly written thing added to her character and seems to only exist so they can say they have at least one LGBTQ character in the show. The actresses have no charisma it drags the show down and the writers gave no hints that Alex was gay in season 1. Don't forget that she went on a couple of dates with Maxwell Lord. Since then we've had Alex acting like an overdramatic teenager who went from being a strong willed female who was entirely devoted to protecting her sister to a love struck teenager who makes a date on her sisters birthday because she is stupid now.

Compare that to Sara and Nysa. It was a well written story that made sense in terms of why Sara would have fallen for her. She found Sara almost dead on a beach and nursed her back to health and they fell in love. It makes sense and no one complained about it. More sense then Alex sees Maggie and suddenly decides she is gay.
Old 02-18-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Uh you realize that the two main relationships that go right back to the comics (Oliver and Laurel and Barry and Iris at the beginning) were equally as awful as Alex and Maggie right? Honestly the only relationships which haven't really sucked have been Barry and Patty and Oliver and Felicity at the beginning(before the writers made Felicity a moody,bitchy whiner) and Snart and Sara.
I'm with you on Barry and Patty. Forgot about that one. Awesome, but sadly short lived.

But on the rest, I don't understand what the disagreement is. I was saying that the other hookups were bad, not that Barry/Iris and Oliver/Laurel has ever been great. If anything Barry/Iris was doomed to fail based on lack of chemistry and basically making her his stepsister.

The actresses have no charisma it drags the show down and the writers gave no hints that Alex was gay in season 1. Don't forget that she went on a couple of dates with Maxwell Lord.
Many lesbians date guys before they come to terms with their sexuality. As for the chemistry between those two, you'll get no disagreement from me that the lack of it drags the show down. Just like most of the hetero hookups on these DC CW shows.
Old 02-18-17, 06:58 PM

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts

I think we might have to get over the relationship plots on Supergirl because they are not going away. The target audience skews female and I guess the writers thing that's what they want. Doesn't matter if they are organic or forced they are going to keep coming. Ever regular character has a coupling subplot. Kara's on her third, Jimmy & Wyn & Alex have had two a piece, even Jon, Maxwell and Kat have one a piece. Is it like Grey's Antimony? Yes. Do I like it? Not really? Is it a deal breaker for me? Not really but it does detract from the show.
Old 02-18-17, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I think we might have to get over the relationship plots on Supergirl because they are not going away. The target audience skews female and I guess the writers thing that's what they want. Doesn't matter if they are organic or forced they are going to keep coming. Ever regular character has a coupling subplot. Kara's on her third, Jimmy & Wyn & Alex have had two a piece, even Jon, Maxwell and Kat have one a piece. Is it like Grey's Antimony? Yes. Do I like it? Not really? Is it a deal breaker for me? Not really but it does detract from the show.
I think that's a good point. I guess all I'll add is that at least for me, I don't mind when they mix it up a bit and make a character gay or bi-sexual. I get a kick out of Sara Lance now basically being a bi-sexual space whore. But that said, I'll let it go. Wasn't trying to call anybody out here. As I posted earlier, the worst comments (including many about Sara) are posted elsewhere.
Old 02-18-17, 10:35 PM
Banned

Like I said, I don't care if they want to do political allegory, most of the best shows have, but at least do it well.
Old 02-19-17, 02:38 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Calista is missed

Can't stand Jimmy and the Guardian

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.