Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Spike TV to be rebranded as the Paramount Network

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Spike TV to be rebranded as the Paramount Network

I can't find any info if this effects Bar Rescue or Ink Master. Bellator MMA says they are staying on the channel.

Yesterday Viacom announced that they have decided to rename the Spike TV to be the Paramount Network. Well it is a surprise that the well known Spike TV name is going away it is no surprise that Paramount is the name replacing it.

“A big part of our future is better integrating Paramount into the company and connecting it more to the work we do across media brands,” Viacom CEO Robert Bakish told employees last month.

Spike, was originally branded as a “male-oriented, with unscripted series like Lip Sync Battle, Bar Rescue and Ink Master. The new Paramount Network will concentrate on “building distinctive, high-quality scripted and non-scripted original programming,” according to an internal memo, and is meant to have broader appeal than the other networks (Nickelodeon and Nick Jr for kids, Comedy Central and MTV for millennials and BET for African Americans).
http://cordcuttersnews.com/say-good-....kvskwURv.dpuf
Old 02-10-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Re: Spike TV to be rebranded as the Paramount Network

Yeah I was also kinda shocked when the Paramount name was announced. It does kinda feel like Bubba trying to get into the Country Club. Good luck to them.
Old 02-10-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

When will it merge with the CW?

Old 02-10-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Haven't we been down this road before? The name sounds so familiar to me...

Will the new Trek show air on it?

Crossing fingers that they'll have a jive talking frog as their mascot.
Old 02-10-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't watched Spike since MXC was on. Man, I miss that show...
Old 02-10-17, 02:43 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah I was also kinda shocked when the Paramount name was announced. It does kinda feel like Bubba trying to get into the Country Club. Good luck to them.
Well is seems like going to the frat house didn't pan out so why not. Has any network rebranded four times in the past?
Old 02-10-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as they keep airing Bellator.
Old 02-10-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

The name is escaping me, but wasn't Spike rebranded from something else in the past 5-10 years?
Old 02-10-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it was TNN The Nashville Network .
Old 02-10-17, 04:26 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
The name is escaping me, but wasn't Spike rebranded from something else in the past 5-10 years?
The Nashville Network to the National Network to Spike TV. It has gone from country to a 90's USA Network clone to a guys network to who knows what as
Paramount.
Old 02-11-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

As Spike didn't it almost exclusively rely on junk reality programming? Its lineup became so garbage I stopped bothering to check it on a regular basis.
Old 02-11-17, 05:56 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pleas keep inkmasters !
Old 02-12-17, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I think it was TNN The Nashville Network .
Yes, and then it became "The National Network" when they began to move away from country music programming, before being renamed Spike.

I think The Nashville Network began the trend of cable networks cutting back on their intended programming theme and becoming dumping grounds for syndicated content when they started running reruns of Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas.
Old 02-12-17, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Whatever it may be called now, is Nashville Network still over the air broadcast in Nashville area? Do people in Chicago and Atlanta still get WGN and TBS free over the air? Also wonder if they've split into two versions, broadcast and cable.
Old 02-12-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Whatever it may be called now, is Nashville Network still over the air broadcast in Nashville area? Do people in Chicago and Atlanta still get WGN and TBS free over the air? Also wonder if they've split into two versions, broadcast and cable.
Yeah, I think they've split. I don't think The Nashville Network was ever a superstation and started out as cable-only like MTV. But TBS and WGN are still local chanels that broadcast OTA, but they have different programming than their cable counterparts.

In the early days of cable tv, the 70s or thereabouts, there weren't a lot of cable channels like there are now, so cable providers would fill out their line-up with independent stations from major markets like TBS and WGN.

I can barely remember, but when I was a kid, '79 or '80, we had something like twelve cable channels, and WGN and TBS were among them. I wish I could remember all of them... HBO (premium), Local NBC, local ABC, local CBS, local PBS, WGN, TBS, maybe ESPN? I don't remember having CNN either.

I also think that the channels were ordered strangely, like our local Channel 3 was channel 4 on cable, and so on.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-12-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-12-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I think they've split. I don't think The Nashville Network was ever a superstation and started out as cable-only like MTV. But TBS and WGN are still local chanels that broadcast OTA, but they have different programming than their cable counterparts.

In the early days of cable tv, the 70s or thereabouts, there weren't a lot of cable channels like there are now, so cable providers would fill out their line-up with independent stations from major markets like TBS and WGN.

I can barely remember, but when I was a kid, '79 or '80, we had something like twelve cable channels, and WGN and TBS were among them. I wish I could remember all of them... HBO (premium), Local NBC, local ABC, local CBS, local PBS, WGN, TBS, maybe ESPN? I don't remember having CNN either.

I also think that the channels were ordered strangely, like our local Channel 3 was channel 4 on cable, and so on.
We had a similar thing here, Fox was 17 OTA, 6 on cable.
Old 12-04-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spike TV to become Paramount Network - January 2018

Well, I'm willing to give it a look-see...Waco and Yellowstone seem interesting :

Viacom has announced that the upcoming rebranding of Spike TV as the Paramount Network will officially happen on Thursday, January 18 at 9 PM ET, kicking off with a live one-hour episode of Lip Sync Battle from the Paramount lot in Hollywood.

Later in January, Paramount Network will premiere the landmark six-part event series, Waco, with an award-winning cast including Michael Shannon, Taylor Kitsch, John Leguizamo, and Melissa Benoist. On the heels of the 25th anniversary, the eye-opening and captivating series is based on the controversial and harrowing true story of the 1993 FBI siege of a religious sect that resulted in the deadly shoot out and fire.

The new original scripted series coming to Paramount Network in the first part of 2018 includes Yellowstone, starring world-renowned actor and Oscar winner Kevin Costner and written and directed by critically-acclaimed, Oscar-nominated screenwriter Taylor Sheridan; American Woman, from award-winning producer John Wells, a single-camera comedy set in the 1970s amid the sexual revolution and the rise of feminism starring Alicia Silverstone and Mena Suvari; and Heathers, an hour-long pitch-black comedy anthology set in the present day, based on the 1988 cult classic film of the same name.

http://www.paramountnetwork.com/
Old 12-04-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Spike TV to become Paramount Network - January 2018

Ah Waco is the project Melissa Benoist was working on and supposedly cheated on Chris Wood with Taylor Kitsch.
Old 12-04-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Ah Waco is the project Melissa Benoist was working on and supposedly cheated on Chris Wood with Taylor Kitsch.
Well, at least it wasn't with Michael Shannon.
Old 12-04-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check it out, but as I can't get Spike then I'm guessing there'll be nothing different with a name change.
Old 12-04-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

So they're bringing back UPN? The more things change I guess. This was originally The Nashville Network right?
Old 12-04-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Considering they put The Mist on TV, I have zero expectations this rebranding will make any difference
Old 12-04-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
So they're bringing back UPN? The more things change I guess. This was originally The Nashville Network right?
That was basically my reaction. I guess it's been a few years, time to rebrand this network for the third or fourth time. Hard to believe the network of the Joe Schmo Show will be no more.
Old 12-05-17, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I assume Spike is killing The Shannara Chronicles after this season regardless of its ratings (which aren't the best, I know). I don't know why they bothered to buy it given they surely knew about this rebrand a long time ago.
Old 12-05-17, 03:16 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
I assume Spike is killing The Shannara Chronicles after this season regardless of its ratings (which aren't the best, I know). I don't know why they bothered to buy it given they surely knew about this rebrand a long time ago.
They didn’t buy it. Paramount owns MTV and moved it from there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.