Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is this manufactured on demand BD-R?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-02-17, 07:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I want Not Another Teen Movie. But it is on this format. Will it play on normal Sony player? Good quality? Anyone have this or any other? And why so damn expensive for an older title on whatever this format is? Bluray.com seemed to praise.

Apologize if thread already. I did a little search, but wasn't sure what to search for...
Old 02-02-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: What is this manufactured on demand BD-R?

A BD-R means that it's a burned disc, not a professionally pressed copy. Sony has taken this route with its manufactured-on-demand line, presumably because it's cheaper for them to do it that way for a low-volume title. It should play fine on most Blu-ray players, but the risk with burned discs is that they may not have the same longevity as a pressed disc.

As for why it's so expensive, Sony is simply being a bunch of greedy bastards with this line.

I can't speak to this movie specifically, but many of Sony's other MOD releases have been criticized for having poor video quality based on very old DVD-era masters.
Old 02-05-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

BD-R's actually use an inorganic alloy rather than phase-shift organic dyes like DVD-R (and CD-R), so their stability and longevity should compare quite favorably to pressed media.
Old 02-11-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Apologize if thread already. I did a little search, but wasn't sure what to search for...
How about this thread from from last August that you posted in, asking the exact same questions.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/635...-releases.html

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-11-17 at 08:56 AM.