Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Riverdale (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Chapter One: The River's Edge" -- 1/26/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Riverdale (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Chapter One: The River's Edge" -- 1/26/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

SERIES PREMIERE

RIVERDALE

"Chapter One: The River's Edge" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

SERIES PREMIERE - As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom. Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer's events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music - not follow in his dad Fred's (Luke Perry) footsteps - despite his forbidden relationship with Riverdale's young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (guest star Sarah Habel). With the weight of the world on his shoulders, Archie must look for a new music mentor and turns to Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray) but she is focused solely on her band, Josie and the Pussycats. Weighing heavily on his mind is also his fractured friendship with budding writer Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse). Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she's not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty's nerves, which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice (Madchen Amick), aren't the only thing holding her back. When a new student, Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), arrives in town from New York with her mother Hermione (Marisol Nichols), there's an undeniable spark between her and Archie, but Veronica doesn't want to risk her new friendship with Betty. And then there's Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch), Riverdale's Queen Bee, who is happy to stir up trouble amongst the others even though she's keeping a few secrets of her own. Lee Toland Krieger directed the episode written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (#100.) Original airdate 1/26/2017. Contact: Kellie Kulikowsky, (818) 977-0105

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Ashleigh Murray as Josie McCoy
· Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge
· Casey Cott as Kevin Keller
· Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones
· K.J. Apa as Archie Andrews
· Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper
· Luke Perry as Fred Andrews
· Mädchen Amick as Alice Cooper
· Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom
· Marisol Nichols as Hermione Lodge
· Sarah Habel as Ms. Grundy

Expected to be a 13 episode 1st season

Greg Berlanti, the Producer of Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Blindspot on NBC, is the Executive Producer of this show.
Old 01-26-17, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Riverdale (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Chapter One: The River's Edge" -- 1/26/1

Old 01-26-17, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Riverdale (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "Chapter One: The River's Edge" -- 1/26/1

Are they trying to make everyone look so smug in that poster?
Old 01-26-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Fingers crossed. Will be watching tonight.
Old 01-26-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I'm really looking forward to watching this! Reviews have been fairly positive. It's 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 01-26-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Set series to record. Will probably watch this weekend, as I'm way too far behind on everything else.
Old 01-26-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I wait to hear from you guys but holy shit the trailer makes this look terrible.
Old 01-26-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

For some reason I'm curious about this despite not being much of an Archie fan. Might check out the pilot at least.
Old 01-26-17, 07:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

is this what the current Archie comics feature now in terms of theme? wasn't it always like really clean and just G rated stuff?
Old 01-26-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, one and done on that one. It literally met every CW/teen drama trope by minute 15. I don't need to go through that again, despite every attempt on the producers part to make this seem like a certain town in NE Washington.
Old 01-26-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I didn't mind it overall. Pretty typical CW teen drama series but it didn't bother me too much. I'll stick with it for a while.
Old 01-26-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was an ok pilot. My least favorite was Kevin.
Old 01-27-17, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Saw this thread and decided to check this show out.

Not too bad, really dark tone. Great music score that intensifies each scene.

It seems like there could be more to the narrative timeline. Something seems odd about it.
Old 01-27-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Yeah, one and done on that one. It literally met every CW/teen drama trope by minute 15. I don't need to go through that again, despite every attempt on the producers part to make this seem like a certain town in NE Washington.
I assume you're not currently in California. Because your time stamp says 7:23pm PT and the episode had not even aired yet.

I'll have to catch this on Friday. I have no pre-conceived notions about this. Never really followed the Archie comics, but teen dramas on The CW are a guilty pleasure and a dark tone is even better.
Old 01-27-17, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

It was ok, I don't think I'd even give it a glance if not for the tie in.

So where are the comic purists who are upset about the change to Mrs. Grundy?
Old 01-27-17, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I'll have to catch this on Friday. I have no pre-conceived notions about this. Never really followed the Archie comics, but teen dramas on The CW are a guilty pleasure and a dark tone is even better.
I read "Archie" briefly, -a month or two, -at the beginning of my Comics "journey" in the Mid-60s and never again once I got into the Marvel Comics of that period.
However, I recently started reading (via free streaming service "Hoopla") the re-vamped take on the flagship title "Archie" written by Marvel/DC vet Mark Waid (with a few different artists) and it's quite good. Artist Adam Hughes (who specializes in "Good Girls") is doing a new "Betty and Veronica" book that's very enjoyable.
Old 01-27-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume you're not currently in California. Because your time stamp says 7:23pm PT and the episode had not even aired yet.

Chicago until next week Brrrrrrr
Old 01-27-17, 10:56 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Missed the airing, but am curious. Will likely watch over the weekend.
Old 01-27-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Missed the airing, but am curious. Will likely watch over the weekend.
I couldn't make space for it on my DVR, since right now it there's so many shows I watch on Thursday, while Sunday is suddenly very open. I'll try to catch it on the CW Roku channel.
Old 01-27-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought this was alright and an interesting take on the Archie mythos. It is very clichéd(i.e the pretty girl who is only ugly in a TV series can't get the guy) and I probably wouldn't be watching it if not for the comic connection. I thought Archie, Betty, Veronica and Sheryl Blossom were all cast well. I barely recognized Marisol Nichols. Didn't like the Kevin Keller character and Ms. Grundy looks the same age as Archie.

Overall it's not bad and I'll be in it for the season I think.
Old 01-27-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I'll check out an episode. I've been a comics reader for years. I still pick up an old digest every once in a while.
Old 01-27-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but teen dramas on The CW are a guilty pleasure and a dark tone is even better.
Yeah same for me.. I'm in for the season being I've always been a sucker for these sort of cheesy shows. It's a little try hard with some of the dialog, looking to stuff in this or that snarky line. So some of it is a little chunky flow wise. Where as say Scream Queens writers seem to just have their characters rattle the same sort of stuff all with no issues.

but the cast is good looking and I feel old as now the not really teens from the shows I use to watch are now playing the parents of not really teens on another show. lol

plus I have a thing for red heads and holy crap Madelaine Petsch is cute, even when she is playing a bitchy character.
Old 01-27-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I liked the first episode and will keep watching. The casting seems good, and I like the twist with hot Grundy. I haven't watched a CW show since Smallville so maybe I'm not jaded against that kind of stuff.

bluetoast is our resident Archie fan, but I liked them. A few years ago, I picked up a couple digests, and they were pretty terrible, but more recently I really liked the Life with Archie series (with his marrying Betty and Veronica in parallel universes), and the horror series. I've only read a couple of the Mark Waid series and need to get back to it.
Old 01-27-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I just finished the first episode and overall I liked it. I thought it was shot really, really well. I thought they cast Archie, Betty, and Veronica almost perfectly. I'm not fan of what they did with Jughead though. I don't care much for the actor playing him and making him the loner outcast. I'm interested in seeing where the season goes though. The ratings last night were on par with No Tomorrow and Frequency. Those shows will probably be cancelled so this may be a one and done season.
Old 01-27-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
Yeah same for me.. I'm in for the season being I've always been a sucker for these sort of cheesy shows. It's a little try hard with some of the dialog, looking to stuff in this or that snarky line. So some of it is a little chunky flow wise. Where as say Scream Queens writers seem to just have their characters rattle the same sort of stuff all with no issues.

but the cast is good looking and I feel old as now the not really teens from the shows I use to watch are now playing the parents of not really teens on another show. lol

plus I have a thing for red heads and holy crap Madelaine Petsch is cute, even when she is playing a bitchy character.
I thought the actress playing Veronica was ok, but man some of that dialogue was just terrible. Jughead as well, though we didn't see much of him besides the narration.

That cheerleader tryout was terrible. That final move was supposed to get them in? And then Veronica calls out the head cheerleader and gets her way? Huh?

So Archie goes looking for Betty but doesn't think to check her home first? I bought that was odd. I do give them credit for setting up the love triangle, I always thought it was odd how Betty and Veronica were friends when they were so different and both liked the same guy.

I actually Kevin Keller character was one of the best in the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.