Gotham (S3E12) -- "Mad City: Ghosts" -- 1/16/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Gotham (S3E12) -- "Mad City: Ghosts" -- 1/16/17

Gotham

Cameron Monaghan and Paul Reubens Return

Falcone places a hit on Gordon after learning that he shot Mario. ?Gordon and Bullock discover a follower of Jerome (guest star Cameron Monaghan), who plans to bring him back to life. Meanwhile, Penguin spirals out of control before the biggest television interview of his Mayoral career, and Bruce and Selina deal with Selina's mom's return to Gotham in the all-new "Mad City: Ghosts" episode of GOTHAM airing Monday, Jan. 16 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GTH-312) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Ben McKenzie as Detective James Gordon, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne, Morena Baccarin as Leslie Thompkins, Sean Pertwee as Alfred, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman, Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma/the future Riddler, Jessica Lucas as Tabitha Galavan, Chris Chalk as Lucius Fox, Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean, Maggie Geha as the future Poison Ivy, Michael Chiklis as Detective Nathaniel Barnes, Benedict Samuel as Mad Hatter

Guest Cast: Ivana Milicevic as Maria Kyle, Paul Reubens as Elijah Van Dahl, Cameron Monaghan as Jerome Valeska, John Doman as Carmine Falcone, David Dastmalchian as Dwight Pollard, PJ Marshall as Cole Clemons, Jan Maxwell as Margaret Hearst, Dave Quay as Tarquin

1st episode of the new year.

There are 2 more episodes left after tonight before the show takes a 3-month break to accommodate 24: Legacy.

So I kind of lagged on watching the 1st half of this season. I left around 7-8 episodes build up. Had no intention of dropping it, just got a little lazy.

Finally, I decided to power through all of them in the last couple of days. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it once I focused my attention on it and binged through them. Some pretty compelling episodes. Only thing that kind of bugged me was making Penguin gay and in love with Riddler. I also think the Fish Mooney episodes were probably the worst. Once she left again, the show got much better.

Finally caught up coming into tonight.

The cliffhanger with Jim shooting Lee's new husband was pretty wild. She's going to be pissed.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-16-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Gotham (S3E12) -- "Mad City: Ghosts" -- 1/16/17

Apologies for the thread crap, but I can't believe Fish Mooney is still on this show. I gave up on Gotham early in S2 and I don't regret it for a second.
Old 01-16-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kefrank
Apologies for the thread crap, but I can't believe Fish Mooney is still on this show. I gave up on Gotham early in S2 and I don't regret it for a second.
Jada Pinkett-Smith guest starred in 2 of the 11 that aired this season.

So no, she's currently not on the show and is not slated to return.
Old 01-16-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Thank god. It was a mistake bringing her back - last season was a disaster. This season has been much better.
Old 01-16-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

After like a month wait, we get 3 episodes and then another 3 month wait for the rest of the season?
Wow FOX really screwed the scheduling on this show.
Old 01-16-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Koby
After like a month wait, we get 3 episodes and then another 3 month wait for the rest of the season?
Wow FOX really screwed the scheduling on this show.
They're trying to squeeze in 2 new 12 episode shows (24 and APB) into the season. So they had to free up 12 weeks for both of them. It's probably going to push Gotham and Lucifer into June.

and honestly, 24: Legacy will probably get better ratings than Gotham. It's a priority show for the network because it's getting the post-Super Bowl timeslot, is owned by FOX, was sold to 160 countries. All profit for FOX.

FOX doesn't really care about May sweeps anymore. They have extended scripted shows into June and July. So extending Gotham potentially into June is no big deal.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-16-17 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

They're trying to squeeze in 2 new 12 episode shows (24 and APB) into the season. So they had to free up 12 weeks for both of them. It's probably going to push Gotham and Lucifer into June.

and honestly, 24: Legacy will probably get better ratings than Gotham. It's a priority show for the network because it's being heavily promoted post-Super Bowl, is owned by FOX, was sold to 160 countries and is taking this timeslot.

FOX doesn't really care about May sweeps anymore. They have extended scripted shows into June and July.
Well then they should have started the season earlier so that these 3 episodes could have aired before the Christmas break, and then just pick up the second half in May after 24: Legacy is done. It just seems really awkward to me to wait a month for three episodes just to wait another 3 months for the second half.
Old 01-16-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This season has been much better.
I agree with you. This season has been way better than season 2. I recall you were really pessimistic about the show going into this season.

Season 2 got way too campy in my book. I've liked that this season has gone back to being more of a serialized mob/dark underworld crime thriller with loose comic ties. Jim being back at the GCPD has certainly helped.
Old 01-17-17, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Pretty good episode after the winter break.

Nygma fucking with Cobblepot to get his revenge.

Jim being a marked man and dodging bullets from Falcone's assassins was fun.

Just noticed in this episode that Selina's Mom is Ivana Milecevic from Banshee.

I actually find it amusing how Selina is being such a bitch with Bruce and fucking with him constantly about their status.

Was surprised to see Barnes again. But judging by his state of mind, he's pretty much a goner from being a normal person ever again let alone a GCPD cop.
Old 01-17-17, 09:49 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Great episode.
Old 01-18-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Episode was really strange. Lee turning on Jim temporarily. Selena being totally bi-polar towards mommy. The warehouse filled with Joker cos players. Best part, as usual when he is included, was Victor. Would love to see him more on the show.

Loved the Lucius line about no longer using impossible.

Having the Joker back will be a big plus even though they are taking the tired Frankenstein route like they did wish Fish.
Old 01-19-17, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Riddler haunting Penguin reminds of a Gerry Conway storyline in the early 80's in which Hugo Strange haunts Rubert Thorne.
Old 01-19-17, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Hopefully the writers have decided to just make Jerome the Joker after all...he's clearly the most appealing villain that's been on the series, so why not just keep him around?
Old 01-20-17, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm convinced everyone in Gotham is insane.
Old 01-21-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Jada Pinkett-Smith guest starred in 2 of the 11 that aired this season.

Fish Mooney is Gotham's Jar Jar Binks.