Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chevy Chase or Dan Aykroyd: Who stopped being funny first?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Serious question. Both along with Bill Murray made up probably the three biggest names in comedy in the 80's. Murray(mostly) was still doing entertaining comedy into the 90's not so much with the other two.

Chase: I would say he stopped being funny around 1985. Fletch and Spies Like US(also with Aykroyd) were pretty entertaining with Fletch being a great role for Chase and his second most iconic. Three Amigos was entertaining too but you can make a strong point that he was the weakest of the three. In 88 he did Caddyshack 2(also with Aykroyd) which sucked hard. He also did Funny Farm which I have a soft spot for. Chevy had Christmas Vacation in 89 but Fletch Lives was godawful and by 91 his career was officially dead with Nothing But Trouble(Aykroyd again).

Aykroyd: Hit it huge with The Blues Brothers in 1980. Trading Places in 83 was pretty decent but that was more because of Murphy than Aykroyd. Ghostbusters was obviously huge in 84 and Spies Like US came in 85. Dragnet in 87 wasn't really good at all outside of Tom Hanks. 88 Gave us The Great Outdoors which was fun but was more of a John Candy vehicle. My Stepmother is an Alien was terrible. Ghostbusters 2 wasn't as well received and his last three comedies were Nothing But Trouble, Coneheads and Exit to Eden. Yikes.

Based on this, I honestly think they stopped being funny at the exact same time and that can be blamed on Caddyshack 2. Take away Christmas Vacation and GB2 and they really didn't do much worthwhile post Caddyshack 2.
Old 01-09-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Chevy Chase or Dan Aykroyd: Who stopped being funny first?

I agree that their careers took a nosedive about the same time but, Chase was brilliant in the first couple of seasons of Community. The only recent thing of Aykroyd's that would be memorable was the 2009 Ghostbusters video game.
Old 01-09-17, 11:56 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I don't find Akroyd anywhere near as funny as Chase.
Old 01-09-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I think you answered your own question with "Cadyshack 2."

Old 01-09-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

But, upon further reflection, I think that what happened -- and that it coincided with Caddyshack 2 is mostly coincidence -- is that the old 70s school of "Not ready from primetime" comedy fell out of favor around the end of the 80s.

Bill Murray (and Steve Martin) were able to redefine themselves; Aykroyd and Chase couldn't and were stuck in an outdated kind of slapstick. The focus of broad comedy shifted over to the next group of "not ready for primetime" players like Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, and Chris Farley.

And now, Sandler and Myers are in the same place Chase and Aykroyd were during their rise.
Old 01-09-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I agree that their careers took a nosedive about the same time but, Chase was brilliant in the first couple of seasons of Community.
Knowing now what an asshole he was on Community taints my appreciation of him. Now I think he was just acting like himself and that's a lot less fun.

I got to meet Akroyd a number of years ago when he was a guest on our talk show - sure he talked about aliens and his skull vodka at length, but he seemed like a nice guy who was appreciative of the time we were giving him. I can't imagine Chase being like that.

But I agree they tanked at about the same time and it's because they never stopped shooting for the roles that made them stars, even when they should have switched to something else.
Old 01-09-17, 12:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i think Aykroyd is still there. not as funny as before, but things like Grosse Pointe Blank and later have been better than Chase, who hasn't been funny since the 80's, save for possibly Community, which i did enjoy him in. he's really fallen completely off the radar...
Old 01-09-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know.

But I picture either of those guys surfing around the internet to see what people say about them, and getting very sad when they read a title like that.

I saw Christmas Vacation a few weeks ago. Loved the comedic timing and fast pace. It never lingers on one joke too long. They haven't really made any comedies like that lately. The best comedy right now is on TV and Netflix.

It sucks when you have to drudge through a comedy, waiting for funny parts.
Old 01-09-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Chevy Chase stopped being funny when he made Funny Farm.
Aykroyd was never leading man level of funny. He was a great number 2, though, until Nothing But Trouble.
Old 01-09-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Chevy Chase stopped being funny when he made Funny Farm.
Actually, that was the last time I thought he was funny. I kind of loved that movie.

You're right about Aykroyd. Never leading-man funny, but good as a second banana throughout the Eighties.. He's fantastic in Trading Places, but Murphy (and, for other reasons Jamie Lee Curtis) gets all the attention.
Old 01-09-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Chevy Chase is one of those comedians I cringe at these days when he does interviews because he is so unfunny it's sad to watch. The last time he did a halfway decent movie was the mid 80's (Fletch) and never recovered. In saying that, Caddyshack, Vacation and Fletch are some of my favorite comedies of all-time.

Last edited by mcnabb; 01-09-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 01:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Thread title is brutal. I'll have to think about this all day.
Old 01-09-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Aykroyd was funny on SNL. Movies, not so much. He just happened to be in some funny movies.

Chase was funny in both SNL and movies.
Old 01-09-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It's funny this was brought up as the Tonight Show reruns recently aired a joint appearance by the duo promoting Spies Like Us. Siskel & Ebert trashed the movie sitting right next to them on the couch.

It is strange how both men stopped being funny around the same time in the late 1980s. I always got the impression they had made enough money from their early successes and gotten lazy.
Old 01-09-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I think Chase has the edge over Aykroyd. The last truly funny movie Chase was in was Christmas Vacation in '89. Aykroyd at least had Tommy Boy in the mid 90s and although he never had quite the success of Murray, Aykroyd at least tried to reinvent himself with serious roles a couple of times throughout his career.

When it comes down to it I'd still like to sit down and have a beer with Aykroyd. Chase, not so much.
Old 01-09-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
When it comes down to it I'd still like to sit down and have a beer with Aykroyd. Chase, not so much.
No doubt, just bring your tin-foiled hat and buy a copy of Ancient Aliens, something tells me he loves that series.
Old 01-09-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

It is strange how both men stopped being funny around the same time in the late 1980s. I always got the impression they had made enough money from their early successes and gotten lazy.
In the early 1990s, Chase was still trying to succeed (and failing hard) as a comedic/romantic movie lead, and in 1993 he launched his late night talk show on FOX. He was working very hard at staying in the public eye and keeping his career as an A-list star going.

All I ever need to know or say about Chevy Chase is that 1986, he and Steve Martin were great friends who made Three Amigos with "new guy" Martin Short. Now, Martin and Short are longtime best friends, and Chase might as well be dead to them both.
Old 01-09-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
No doubt, just bring your tin-foiled hat and buy a copy of Ancient Aliens, something tells me he loves that series.
I'd be ok with that. I wouldn't mind hearing some of his alien/ghost stories. He seems like he's passionate about the subject without passing over to the completely loony side like many of those conspiracy theorists end up.
Old 01-09-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'd be ok with that. I wouldn't mind hearing some of his alien/ghost stories. He seems like he's passionate about the subject without passing over to the completely loony side like many of those conspiracy theorists end up.
Quite true. Plus he'd be far better company than Chase who just seems like a miserable human being.
Old 01-09-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Quite true. Plus he'd be far better company than Chase who just seems like a miserable human being.
Chase seems like a perfect example of "it's best to never meet your heroes." I loved him in his 80s movies but I've heard so many bad stories about him that I'm sure if I ever met him it would ruin all those great movies for me.
Old 01-09-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

It sucks when you have to drudge through a comedy, waiting for funny parts that weren't already in the trailer.
Fixed.
Old 01-09-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

All I ever need to know or say about Chevy Chase is that 1986, he and Steve Martin were great friends who made Three Amigos with "new guy" Martin Short. Now, Martin and Short are longtime best friends, and Chase might as well be dead to them both.
I always thought that Three Amigos could have been a classic if it had been John Candy instead of Chase. Chase was definitely the weak link in that one, IMO.
Old 01-09-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Aykroyd was funny on SNL. Movies, not so much. He just happened to be in some funny movies.
Yeah, the only movie I really liked him in is Trading Places.
Old 01-10-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

They're both still funny, they're just older and most leading roles have dried up. It's natural. I thought Chevy was really good in Community and in smaller film roles like Hot Tub Time Machine and even the Vacation reboot. It's been a little longer for Aykroyd, but the last time he was in a good movie, was also the last time he was really good in a movie. Grosse Point Blank was his last good movie, its no coincidence that its also the last time he played a memorable character. That was 20 years ago, and just about every film he's been in since then has been crap. When presented with good material I think both guys can still deliver.
Old 01-10-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never thought Aykroyd was funny, going back to SNL. Chevy may be a dick, but he's also a funny. Aykroyd is a good to great actor, but he is never "the funny one", even in his comedies. I think Chase still has a good comedy in him. Hopefully he can turn his reputation around, the way Shatner did as he got old.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.