Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bright Lights - the Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds HBO Doc

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Bright Lights - the Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds HBO Doc

Anyone catch this yet? Wow, Carrie Fisher was kind of a mess toward the end. Don't know how she pulled it together to do the Star Wars movies. And who knew Griffin Dunne took her virginity?!?!
Old 01-08-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
Re: Bright Lights - the Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds HBO Doc

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
And who knew Griffin Dunne took her virginity?!?!
Anyone who had more than a two minute conversation with Griffin Dunne in the late 70s.
Old 01-08-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What was up with that footage of Carrie on the Great Wall? I think she said she was high on something, right?

I wonder if Lucasfilm tried to get her to give up the cigarettes and Coke (-a-cola) when they were trying to get her into shape.

At some points, Carrie seemed like she was older than her mother.

I'm surprised they didn't really touch on Carrie's second husband and barely mentioned her daughter.
Old 01-08-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought it was really well-done. Just surreal watching it while knowing they died 24 hours apart from each other. If it were the other way around, I don't think Carrie would have been able to survive her mother's death either. The two of them seemed almost co-dependent on each other.

I loved her house and her sense of decor. I kept an eye out for the prozac pill urn. Apparently it was her favorite possession and she had had it since the 90's. I had figured she would have had it displayed somewhere prominently in the house!
Old 01-09-17, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Anyone catch this yet?
The documentary was really good, as I didn't know alot about Debbie Reynolds. I never realized they were Hollywood Royalty at one time, and I didn't know Carrie Fisher could sing that well. It was funny to see a Teenage Carrie Fisher working with her mom in a nightclub act in the 70's. That was just a different time of no child labor laws!

Wow, Carrie Fisher was kind of a mess toward the end. Don't know how she pulled it together to do the Star Wars movies.
I like when she is lighting up a cigarette on the stove and her personal trainer is emptying out the cans of coke in the sink. (It's almost a metaphor for her life). I like that she didn't bitch and complain that Lucasfilm was checking her weight everyday as she understood that is the game in Hollywood, unlike some actresses today.

And who knew Griffin Dunne took her virginity?!?!
I like when he first came in the house and yelled for Carrie, "Hey Fuck Face!"
Old 01-09-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah it was weird that Reynolds carried herself like she was 10 years younger than Fisher in parts of it.
Old 01-09-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah it was weird that Reynolds carried herself like she was 10 years younger than Fisher in parts of it.
If you listen to Carrie Fisher she talks about how the studio's taught their stars how to act in public, or I guess 'be glamorous' in public. Debbie Reynolds is of a different time when the they were under contract from the studio's and they knew that image was everything. Even in her old age, she understood when she was doing shows in her 70's.

Then you get to Carrie Fisher, who grew up in the 60's/70's and that generation didn't care about image. The current generation in Hollywood is not about being glamorous, but more about still looking young. They get botox, facelifts, etc, and try to look 20 when they are 60. Whereas Debbie Reynolds generation would look their age, but learned to come off in a way that was still dignified.
Old 01-09-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I just watched this today and thought it was pretty well done.

I'm guessing most of this film was shot 2 years ago since Carrie was trying to get back into shape and in rehearsals for Episode VII.

Rather than being a documentary specifically about their lives and careers, it felt more like an inside look into their lives along with some personal reflection into their pasts.

Carrie lived a hard life, so I'm not saying it was the cause of heart attack specifically, but I saw that she was smoking cigarettes in the film along with having a serious Regular Coca-Cola addiction. I saw one of his assistants was stocking up her Fridge. Plus, she was really gulping that in several scenes. All that sugar and nicotine couldn't have been healthy for her heart/health.