Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Quantum Leap -- The Complete Series -- 2/17/17

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Get ready for an adventure of many lifetimes with the ground-breaking sci-fi classic, QUANTUM LEAP. Enjoy all 97 thrilling episodes from 5 seasons of the Emmy® Award-winning series as you leap through back-to-back and uninterrupted on Blu-ray for the first time ever!

Join Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula), a time traveler lost in time, who temporarily leaps into the bodies and lives of other people to "put right what once went wrong." Accompanied by Al (Dean Stockwell), a wise-cracking holograph that only Sam can see and hear, Sam twists the hands of fate with each heart-pounding, action-packed adventure in the hopes that he can someday complete the mission that will take him home.

"Emmy®" is the trademark property of ATAS/NATAS.

SEASON 1 - Sam Beckett has a date with destiny. Where will he end up next?
Get ready to join Dr. Sam Beckett on the adventure of many lifetimes! Who will he be this time? Mafia hitman. Air test pilot. Professional boxer. Sam does it all in Season 1 of the groundbreaking, Emmy® Award-winning series.Scott Bakula plays Sam Beckett, a time traveler who never knows whose body he is going to "leap" into next and at what moment in history he may find himself. Sam is joined by a helpful but easily distracted holographic guide, Al (Dean Stockwell), who assists him on his missions and aids Sam in his ultimate goal of returning to his own life in the present.

SEASON 2 - What If You Could Go Back Into The Past And Change The Future?
Leap into another thrilling season of the extraordinary, Emmy® Award-winning time-travel series, QUANTUM LEAP. Reunite with Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula), a scientist who never knows whose body he is going to "leap" into next or when, where and at what moment in time he may find himself. Who will he be next? An undercover cop. A blind pianist. A harassed secretary. Sam will be twisting the hands of fate with each heart-pounding, action-packed adventure where it's up to him to change the history of each person for the better, and hopefully complete the mission that will someday take him home.

SEASON 3 - Time Waits For No Man. Except One.
The clock-stopping, heart-pounding adventures continue in Season 3 of the Emmy® Award-winning QUANTUM LEAP. In 22 thrilling episodes, Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) leaps from one exciting identity and time to another, still chasing his dream to return to the present, and desperately hoping that time is on his side. By his side is smart-mouthed Al (Dean Stockwell), a holograph that only Sam can see and hear. Sam's a NAVY SEAL, a beauty pageant contestant, a bounty hunter, and a rock star (who really sings!). He even voyages to his 16-year-old self, exploring his family's history and striving to change their tragic past.

SEASON 4 - What If You Had A Second Chance To Put Things Right?
Take a trip through time with the daring Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) and his hilarious hologram guide, Al (Dean Stockwell), in all 22 extraordinary, groundbreaking episodes of QUANTUM LEAP: Season 4. It's adventure like you've never seen, as Sam and Al survive a hurricane, trail a murderer, make a monkey out of themselves and even switch roles! With each "leap" into another identity, Sam hopes to find some insight into the jump that will finally take him home.

SEASON 5 - Dr. Sam Beckett's Final Leap.
Nothing can prepare time traveler Dr. Sam Beckett (Emmy® nominee Scott Bakula) and his holographic guide, Al (Emmy® nominee Dean Stockwell), for the high stakes that await them in all 22 episodes of the fifth and final season of QUANTUM LEAP! From a presidential assassin to his own great-grandfather to the King of Rock 'n' Roll, it's up to Sam to change history for the better and get one step closer to his final mission. Complete the adventure of many lifetimes and see if he will finally make it home?

No Amazon pre-order yet, but I would expect this to sell around $45-50 like Miami Vice and Knight Rider.
Old 12-21-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Quantum Leap -- The Complete Series -- 2/17/17

Believe it was posted in the streaming forum, but the whole series is available on VUDU at the moment for less than $25 HDX ($4.99/season). I had some credit that was going to expire at the first of the year, so I picked it up. Never watched the show before.
Old 12-21-16, 04:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I just watched the series finale and man is it heartbreaking.
Old 12-21-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

If this is the Euro version where the music wasn't replaced and they included some extras I might have to pick it up. One of my favorite shows.
Old 12-21-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, the big question is the music. I need more information, however HD transfers would be nice.
Old 12-21-16, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Qua...e-Series/22903

According to this, Mill Creek says the Vast Majority of the music has been cleared for this release.
Old 12-22-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Too little, too late for me. If this was 5+ years ago, something like this would have a first day buy for me. But not today, if ever anymore for me.

Though better late than never.

(More generally).

I'm still somewhat wary of anything released by Mill Creek, and their compression-happy nasty habits.

At least the original Battlestar Galactica bluray set was released by Universal proper, and not Mill Creek. (The original 1978-1979 Battlestar Galactica is the only classic Universal tv series that I would still give a damn about on bluray).
Old 12-22-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Qua...e-Series/22903

According to this, Mill Creek says the Vast Majority of the music has been cleared for this release.

First Day pick up for me now.
Old 12-22-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Only hesitation is Mill Creek. Yet this is on the want list.
Old 12-22-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Too little, too late for me. If this was 5+ years ago, something like this would have a first day buy for me. But not today, if ever anymore for me.
Never too late for me since the DVDs were shit without the music. Plus I had all kinds of issues with the DVD-18 discs they used. The show is decent on Netflix, but I'd rather have my own copy.
Old 12-23-16, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the UK DVD boxed set last year, so I'm out. While I have yet to examine the music in detail, my understanding is that the UK DVD's are missing only about 1/3 of the original songs from season 4.

Unless Mill Creek found a legal loophole to release masters from overseas, I have a hard time believing that ASCAP (etc.) is suddenly just giving music rights away. Or perhaps the rest of the music was cleared for streaming and Mill Creek is piggybacking on that agreement? Not sure how it works.

If the US music rights are now largely settled for Quantum Leap, then I greatly look forward to some non-butchered Stephen J. Cannell shows on BD.
Old 12-23-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Never too late for me since the DVDs were shit without the music. Plus I had all kinds of issues with the DVD-18 discs they used. The show is decent on Netflix, but I'd rather have my own copy.
I also had the old annoying double-sided flipper disc dvd18 versions. About a year ago or so, I picked up the single-sided discs re-released version of the complete series set released by Universal proper back in late-2014.

Prior to buying the dvds, I didn't watch the show at all back in the day. (Both first-run and reruns, other than maybe watching a random episode or two via channel surfing when I was really bored). So I have no idea which music had been replaced/substituted, and wouldn't know what to look/listen for when I first watched the dvds.

But with that being said, I can imagine the different music being somewhat jarring for someone who is familiar with the original broadcast episodes.
Old 12-23-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Quite often with this show, the dialogue directly references the music which has been replaced.
Old 12-23-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the music ever fixed, if any for the vudu versions?
Old 12-23-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I wasn't a regular follower of the show. I watched it occasionally whenever it popped up on TV, but was always entertained.

There was an episode from 1992 that will always stand out. It's called "Temptation Eyes"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0681171/...m_flmg_act_112

The guest star was Tamlyn Tomita and Sam came to 1985 to protect her from a serial killer. They played "I want to know what love is" by Foreigner in their love scene. I really hope that will be retained for this BD release. It would absolutely kill the scene if it wasn't there.

Also, for those unaware who didn't buy the set. Mill Creek managed to clear all the music for the Miami Vice complete series BD set that same out a few months ago. So I think it's very likely they managed to do the same with this set unless some of the music simply wasn't clearable.

I heard Michael Jackson, Elvis and The Rolling Stones are almost impossible to clear.
Old 12-24-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I only watched about half of season 2 on Netflix when I had it but it was a HUGE improvement over the DVDs in regards to the music. So hopefully thetao is right and they are somehow piggybacking off that or the artists have loosened the reigns.

Years ago TiVo'd most of the entire run(only missed a handful of episodes) off SciFi and transferred them to DVD since the music was intact. The video quality leaves a lot to be desired though. You'd think some superfan was out there that would undertake this process ala Harmy's Star Wars. It always had quite a cult following.

Originally Posted by morriscroy
So I have no idea which music had been replaced/substituted, and wouldn't know what to look/listen for when I first watched the dvds.
Imagine turning your radio to a classic rock station only to get fake muzak songs in the same style. That's the butcher job that the DVDs are.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Quite often with this show, the dialogue directly references the music which has been replaced.
Also this.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. I started showing it to my kids on Netflix and they are wanting to get back to it. I rebought season 2 from Half-Price books for about $4, but I think I'll hold off and see what this set has to offer instead.
Old 12-31-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wasn't a regular follower of the show. I watched it occasionally whenever it popped up on TV, but was always entertained.

There was an episode from 1992 that will always stand out. It's called "Temptation Eyes"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0681171/...m_flmg_act_112

The guest star was Tamlyn Tomita and Sam came to 1985 to protect her from a serial killer. They played "I want to know what love is" by Foreigner in their love scene. I really hope that will be retained for this BD release. It would absolutely kill the scene if it wasn't there.
It's definitely in the VUDU release. Season 4, Episode #13 at the 26:30 mark. That's the Foreigner track for sure.
Old 01-02-17, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Still wondering if we'll ever get The Outer Limits .

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, the big question is the music. I need more information, however HD transfers would be nice.
There's the elephant in the room.
Old 01-08-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazon preorder is up. $100 for now.

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Leap-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 01-08-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

100 bucks? Yikes!!! I was hoping for somewhere around the 50-60 range like Miami Vice. Makes me want to jump on the Vudu sale of each season for 5 bucks.
Old 01-08-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
100 bucks? Yikes!!! I was hoping for somewhere around the 50-60 range like Miami Vice. Makes me want to jump on the Vudu sale of each season for 5 bucks.
I wouldn't worry. That's the early MSRP price. It will very likely be the same price as Miami Vice and Knight Rider.

Amazon tends to post early MSRP 1st and then it gets reduced later.
Old 01-08-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah, I'm not too worried. B&N has their pre-order up right now for about 55 bucks plus tax. We better at least get that price matched. I went ahead and pre-ordered from Amazon but if there is no price adjustment before release day then I am cancelling.
Old 01-08-17, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not worried about the price just yet because if they didn't get the rights to "Georgia on my Mind" then it doesn't matter. It is THE defining song of the entire series, THE emotional backbone to Al's character. Without it, it's just another wasted release.

Remind me, was it on the DVD set? IIRC, it wasn't. I don't have have Netflix, was it intact on that version?
Old 01-08-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

According to this:http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/foru...read.php?t=159 Georgia on my mind is missing on dvd. I am not sure on netflix, but the VUDU edition has it. I just checked that episode since I bought the $5 sales.
Old 01-09-17, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It's now $59.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.