Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Designated Survivor (S1E10) -- Fall Finale -- "The Oath" -- 12/14/16

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Designated Survivor (S1E10) -- Fall Finale -- "The Oath" -- 12/14/16

PRESIDENT KIRKMAN WORRIES THERE COULD BE A TRAITOR IN THE WHITE HOUSE, ON ABC'S 'DESIGNATED SURVIVOR'

"The Oath" - President Kirkman fears there could be a traitor in the White House when he discovers shocking information connected to the Capitol Bombing. Confiding in Emily, Kirkman puts her in charge of quietly investigating. Meanwhile, new information surfaces about Congressman MacLeish, raising concerns regarding his vice presidential nomination, on ABC's "Designated Survivor," WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 14 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST).

"Designated Survivor" stars Kiefer Sutherland as Tom Kirkman, Natascha McElhone as Alex Kirkman, Adan Canto as Aaron Shore, Italia Ricci as Emily Rhodes, LaMonica Garrett as Mike Ritter with Kal Penn as Seth Wright and Maggie Q as Hannah Wells.

Guest starring Virginia Madsen as Kimble Hookstraten and Kevin R. McNally as Harris Cochrane.

"The Oath" was written by David Guggenheim. Fred Toye is the director.

Episode 10 of 22

Returns to ABC March 8th

Last edited by DJariya; 12-14-16 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 10:46 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: Designated Survivor (S1E10) -- Fall Finale -- "The Oath" -- 12/14/16

I'll have to catch it on OnDemand tomorrow or Friday.
Old 12-15-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I hate it when characters are stupid for the sake of plot. Someone tries to strangle you and you don't take the 2 seconds required to secure the evidence?
Old 12-15-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
I hate it when characters are stupid for the sake of plot. Someone tries to strangle you and you don't take the 2 seconds required to secure the evidence?
Yeah, just a way to drag things out. This is where a story can be longer than a movie yet having this go for twenty two episodes is just a bit long. There can be a happy middle ground.
Old 12-16-16, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Wow...this one returned to Stupid City...probably the dumbest episode since the pilot.

FBI Lady crashes her car, some guy starts to strangle her in broad daylight (Where are all the other people?!) then he nabs a folder that conveniently has "CLASSIFIED" written in big bold letters for everyone to see and it just laying on the seat of the car in clear reach.

How far away was that sniper from the President?! The best sniper rifle in the world with the best shot in the world isn't going to hit a target more than 2,000 yards away. And that's if Martin Riggs is pulling the trigger. Even if you accept that part of the story, there's NO WAY IN HELL FBI gal hits that guy with a handgun shot (a 9mm is only accurate for about 50 yards, and it only actually travels about 2,000 yards before dropping out of the air completely, so there's no way it hits that sniper with any force whatsoever, assuming she's the best shot in the Universe).

I hope that sniper bullet hit one of the writers.
Old 12-16-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Underwhelming end and now 3 months for a new episode. I wouldn't be surprised if the show loses a lot of viewers between now and then. Who got shot is pretty irrelevant. Pres isn't going to die so no concern there. And no other character is important enough to have an impact if they died. Maybe the VP guys if his role was (unknowingly) to be a martyr?
Old 12-16-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

This show is getting really good. Almost "24" territory with the suspense.

Edit - just read some of the other comments. Guess I'm in the minority about the quality of the show haha. March 8th return date is ridiculous
Old 12-16-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I've enjoyed the show but I'm still skeptical with where it's going. My concern is they wrote up to what we've seen; now that it was picked up, they're scrambling to write what comes next.
Old 12-16-16, 12:11 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Old 12-16-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Wow...this one returned to Stupid City...probably the dumbest episode since the pilot.

FBI Lady crashes her car, some guy starts to strangle her in broad daylight (Where are all the other people?!) then he nabs a folder that conveniently has "CLASSIFIED" written in big bold letters for everyone to see and it just laying on the seat of the car in clear reach.

How far away was that sniper from the President?! The best sniper rifle in the world with the best shot in the world isn't going to hit a target more than 2,000 yards away. And that's if Martin Riggs is pulling the trigger. Even if you accept that part of the story, there's NO WAY IN HELL FBI gal hits that guy with a handgun shot (a 9mm is only accurate for about 50 yards, and it only actually travels about 2,000 yards before dropping out of the air completely, so there's no way it hits that sniper with any force whatsoever, assuming she's the best shot in the Universe).

I thought it was laughable 1) that there is an office building close enough to shooting distance of the Capitol that allows one to open a window and that 2) the only person in an extremely high security situation (shortly after a devastating terrorist attack at the Capitol no less) to see said open window is the rogue FBI agent.
Old 12-16-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sniper was so far away she shouldn't have been able to see the open window. If you watch the scene closely the distance to the President as seen by the sniper was much farther than as seen by her. The "what she sees" shot has the window practically across the street.
Old 12-16-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, what is ABC thinking not having a new episode until March? Talk about a "show killer". The ratings are going to tank when it comes back - it's not like it was some blockbuster ratings hit now.
Old 12-16-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog

I thought it was laughable 1) that there is an office building close enough to shooting distance of the Capitol that allows one to open a window and that 2) the only person in an extremely high security situation (shortly after a devastating terrorist attack at the Capitol no less) to see said open window is the rogue FBI agent.
Yeah, it was a bit too obvious.
Old 12-16-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Also, what is ABC thinking not having a new episode until March? Talk about a "show killer". The ratings are going to tank when it comes back - it's not like it was some blockbuster ratings hit now.
Its a Netflix original series in several international territories and one of the most time shifted shows this season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr...ov-14-20-2016/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr...28-dec-4-2016/

Hardly a bust and making money with it's Netflix deal. People seem to be DVR-ing/streaming it and casually watching it.
Old 12-16-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NBC is doing the same to The Blacklist, putting it on an 8 week hiatus to show The Blacklist: Redemption. Networks order crazy things like this so often but I can't fathom the reasoning. Only a network executive would understand apparently.
Old 12-16-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

NBC is doing the same to The Blacklist, putting it on an 8 week hiatus to show The Blacklist: Redemption. Networks order crazy things like this so often but I can't fathom the reasoning. Only a network executive would understand apparently.
The reasoning is simple. They (including ABC & NBC) have ordered a lot of shows with so few timeslots. Having extended breaks allows them to air one of these newer shows with short episode orders. That way they are airing more new content without repeats.

The Blacklist and the spinoff make sense since one of the lead characters is seguing to the spinoff and they already had an unofficial pilot last season. So The Blacklist viewers already know the new characters.

Designated Survivor could only air repeat and break free if it premiered in January like Sutherland's old show 24.

Strangely they are airing the 2nd season of Match Game in the slot, which makes no sense because it's airing at 10pm (late for a game show) and it should be a summer show.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-16-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
The reasoning is simple. They (including ABC) have ordered a lot of shows with so few timeslots. Having extended breaks allows them to air one of these newer shows with short episode orders. That way they are airing more new content without repeats.
In that case why not air Designated Survivor straight through, then air whatever takes its timeslot straight through? No repeats and no ratings-killing breaks.
Old 12-16-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

In that case why not air Designated Survivor straight through, then air whatever takes its timeslot straight through? No repeats and no ratings-killing breaks.
I added more to my post, but the only way a show like Designated Survivor airs repeat free with no breaks is premiering Midseason (January or February) like his old show 24. Premiering months later allows them to get more episodes in the can.

Shows that premiere in the Fall can't do that. They have to take intermittent production breaks for the actors & writers. Especially during the Holidays.

Usually around December, a Fall series would only have about 13 episodes in the can. If the show premieres around January or February, most of the season is already shot.
Old 12-17-16, 04:18 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I;m on the fence with this one, love many of the actors, Kiefer, Maggie, indian dude etc

The premise has a lot of merit but there is just no cohesion and no enjoyability.

A show like this needs many quick wins for viewers to keep their interest, that is what 24 did so well, kill one baddie, introduce another
Old 12-17-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

ABC does the same kind of hiatus with another one of their hit shows, Once Upon A Time. It drives me crazy because when the season picks up again in the spring I don't always remember everything that happened back in the fall. Thankfully, they usually do one of those "here's the story so far" specials before it picks up again, but I don't recall if that only happens with the fall premiere or both the fall and spring premiere.
Old 12-17-16, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No her shooting at the window she'll never hit the building even. Her shot will cause the SS to wrap up the President and get him out of there. Which begs the question why she didn't shoot earlier.
The President is saved. MacLeish becomes VP. I think the next episodes are going to revolve around Wells trying to help Atwood.
Old 12-17-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by barelypure
No her shooting at the window she'll never hit the building even. Her shot will cause the SS to wrap up the President and get him out of there. Which begs the question why she didn't shoot earlier.
The President is saved. MacLeish becomes VP. I think the next episodes are going to revolve around Wells trying to help Atwood.
Watch the episode again...the bullet actually hit the sniper or (perhaps) hit near him. You see him jerk back from her gunshot.
Old 12-17-16, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our guess, the wife gets hit.

But hitting the sill between window panes was heading into shark-infested waters.
Old 12-21-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah that whole scene/exchange took me WAY out of what was supposed to be an intense "fall finale" [ugh] closing. That sniper looked SO ridiculously far away, and then she whips out her little handgun and almost nails the guy (so close!). Do they honestly not check with people who know about these things, or do they just think it'd look cool, or...? For me it was just too ridiculous.

That aside, I wonder if Aaron is really a bad guy? Stay tuned until March 2017...
Old 12-22-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
Our guess, the wife gets hit.
Had the same thought. Important enough victim to cause reaction, but not alter the overall story.

Yes, the show is ultra ridiculous with its ways to extend the story, much like 24, but for me it's been better than most seasons of 24.

I do think the break till March will kill the series, which in a way is good since maybe that means we will get a decent ending.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.