Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Little Shop of Horrors (D: Greg Berlanti)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 03:41 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is moving forward with a new incarnation of Little Shop of Horrors, with Greg Berlanti set to direct and Matthew Robinson writing the script. This one will be a musical, a fresh version of the 30-year old Frank Oz-directed film. That was based on the Roger Corman-directed 1960 low budget sci-fi campy tale about a clumsy young man who raises a plant, discovers it is carnivorous, and kills to keep it fed. There is a memorable scene with Jack Nicholson as a pain-seeking dental patient in the original, replicated in the musical by Bill Murray. Marc Platt is producing. The 1986 film was scripted by Howard Ashman from his off-Broadway musical, with tunes crafted with his frequent collaborator Alan Menken. Sarah Schechter is exec producer.

Berlanti last directed the 2010 comedy Life As We Know It. More recently, he and his Warner Bros-based Berlanti Productions have been busy spearheading six TV series, with Supergirl, Blindspot, The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and the upcoming Riverdale.

Robinson wrote and co-directed with Ricky Gervais The Invention of Lying, as well In Search of Humans, Fox, Chernin and director Wes Ball. He is also scripting several animated film assignments He is repped by 3 Arts and ICM Partners, while Berlanti is repped by WME.
http://deadline.com/2016/12/little-s...on-1201866086/
Old 12-07-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Little Shop of Horrors (D: Greg Berlanti)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was developing this a few years ago and was going to play Seymour. My idea was for Zooey Deschanel to reteam with him as Audrey.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...horrors-319976
Old 12-07-16, 03:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Joseph Gordon-Levitt was developing this a few years ago and was going to play Seymour. My idea was for Zooey Deschanel to reteam with him as Audrey.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...horrors-319976
them together again would be awesome!! fucking love (500) Days...
Old 12-07-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the point of redoing this? I love Oz's version and there's really nothing to add to it as it's pretty timeless. All you get with a remake are newer Audrey II effects, actors, and intricate backgrounds, that's such a waste of time when a new idea would be better suited.

Honestly what was the last remake of something 30 years old or newer that was a huge hit?
Old 12-07-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
What is the point of redoing this? I love Oz's version and there's really nothing to add to it as it's pretty timeless. All you get with a remake are newer Audrey II effects, actors, and intricate backgrounds, that's such a waste of time when a new idea would be better suited.

Honestly what was the last remake of something 30 years old or newer that was a huge hit?
I love the original movie. The plant effects are still some of the best live-action puppet work I've ever seen on screen. Also, the musical is my favorite stage show. I've built the set and music directed a production of it.

The only way I'd be interested in a remake is if they used the stage version, including the added/different songs and the better ending. That would be worth remaking. If they redo it, still omit songs like "Mushnik and Son" and put "Mean Green Mother" in it again, it's not worth it.
Old 12-07-16, 05:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That was based on the Roger Corman-directed 1960 low budget sci-fi campy tale about a clumsy young man who raises a plant, discovers it is carnivorous, and kills to keep it fed. There is a memorable scene with Jack Nicholson as a pain-seeking dental patient in the original, replicated in the musical by Bill Murray.
That was Steve Martin.

Wait, I googled it and I'm wrong. My bad. Been a long time since I've seen it.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-07-16 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
That was Steve Martin.
Nope. Steve Martin is the sadistic dentist. Bill Murray is the masochist patient.
Old 12-07-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Honestly what was the last remake of something 30 years old after it was already remade from 20 years prior that was a huge hit?
Fixed.

I'm with gmanca ... What insatiable pent-up demand is there for this?
Old 12-07-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This should be a live event on NBC or Fox instead.
Old 12-08-16, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

No, don't feed me, Seymour
Old 12-08-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Yeah I'm also not sure what's the point of an update.

I saw the movie years ago as well as a stage production while I was in college. This isn't a production that will benefit from a modern day update. The movie (even though it's 30 years old) stands alone pretty well, has a solid cast and I think benefits from being a relatively small scale production. This doesn't need any special effects. Oz was a great puppeteer and that was what this movie/production thrived on.

I don't know what Berlanti can do for this in 2017.
Old 12-08-16, 12:44 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into one of those.
Old 12-08-16, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 720 Posts

Especially if they do something like this:

This was a local production I saw back in 2011. They did the whole stage and costuming in black and white (well, as much as you can do live), and the only things really in color were Audrey II and the trio of singers.
Old 12-08-16, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Can't imagine anyone being better than Moranis or especially Greene. Greene singing Suddenly Seymour always gives me goosebumps.
Old 12-08-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Can we start guessing at what singer they'll use as the voice of Audrey II? CeeLo Green? Bruno Mars? Kanye? Snoop Dog?
Old 12-08-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Spider-Man 2002
The Amazing Spider-Man 2012
Old 12-08-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Especially if they do something like this:

This was a local production I saw back in 2011. They did the whole stage and costuming in black and white (well, as much as you can do live), and the only things really in color were Audrey II and the trio of singers.
3-D!? . Looks like a pretty neat interpretation!
Old 12-08-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
Can we start guessing at what singer they'll use as the voice of Audrey II? CeeLo Green? Bruno Mars? Kanye? Snoop Dog?
I have to admit ... Snoop Dog would be funny.
Old 08-02-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Little Shop of Horrors Remake Eyeing Josh Gad & Rebel Wilson

http://screenrant.com/little-shop-ho...-rebel-wilson/

Warner Bros. has been pretty quiet about their proposed remake of The Little Shop of Horrors but that looks to be about to change. It’s been reported that Josh Gad (Beauty and the Beast) and Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect) could be in the frame for taking the lead roles in an update of the cult horror-comedy musical.

The first version of The Little Shop of Horrors was a darkly comic low-budget horror from genre legend Richard Corman (The Masque of the Red Death). Filmed in 1960 over the course of just two days, it tells the story of a man-eating plant being cultivated by a timid florist who falls under its spell, and also featured an early wacky cameo by Jack Nicholson. It was reinvented as a Broadway stage musical in 1982, and this led to the much-loved film version of the production in 1986 which was directed by Frank Oz (The Dark Crystal). Starring Rick Moranis as Seymour and Ellen Greene as his unrequited love Audrey, it also featured Steve Martin and the songs from the stage show. Singer Levi Stubbs gave life to the smooth-voiced killer plant Audrey II. Rumors of remakes occasionally surfaced with Joseph Gordon-Levitt linked to one in 2012. However it was during last year that Warner Bros. announced a remake that would be directed by DCTV’s Greg Berlanti. Nothing of any real substance has been heard about the project since then though.

Today however, That Hashtag Show has reported some fresh developments with the progress of the remake. Keen to move forward with the project, Warner Bros. is apparently looking to cast Gad and Wilson in the starring roles of Seymour and Audrey. Although this is still to be officially confirmed and both actors have yet to sign anything, they are reportedly said to be very interested in the film.
Old 08-02-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

They should cast Leslie Jones as Audrey II and just have all the world's Internet Hate focused on one project.
Old 08-02-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Anytime a role made famous by Rick Moranis is redone or there is a son of a RM role Charlie Day should be cast.

He should be the Kylo Ren to Dark Helmet if they ever do a Spaceballs 2 and he should be cast in this.
Old 08-02-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

The first version of The Little Shop of Horrors was a darkly comic low-budget horror from genre legend Richard Corman (The Masque of the Red Death). Filmed in 1960 over the course of just two days, it tells the story of a man-eating plant being cultivated by a timid florist who falls under its spell, and also featured an early wacky cameo by Jack Nicholson.
Richard Corman?
Old 08-02-17, 09:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Roger's little brother finally gets respect.

I've seen Little Shop live and the movie versions. For the life of me I have no idea why it's such a big deal.

Josh Gag should warrant enough hate on this version.
Old 08-02-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

If Gad and Wilson are in, then I'm out.
Old 08-02-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

LSOH is my favorite stage musical of all time. I've seen it a dozen times, built the set for it once and vocally directed it as well.

The movie is fantastic (though I wish they had kept the original ending) and the Audrey II puppet is one of the best effects I've ever seen on film.

I'm totally up for a new version but I hope they stick with puppet instead of CGI-ing the crap out of Audrey II.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.