Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Should I keep watching Game of Thrones?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Should I keep watching Game of Thrones?

Right now I'm at episode 5 of season 2 and for whatever reason, it just isn't grabbing me like some of my favorite shows in the past have. Don't get me wrong, the acting and production values are incredible and I want to like it more than I do. When Sean Bean was killed off I thought it was handled really well(even knowing it was going to happen) but since then nothing about it has really captured me. I also feel lime I need a flow chart sometimes trying to keep track of all the different clans and people.

So I really am curious what people say in terms of sticking with it. If it hasn't captured me yet, will it probably not be able to as it's more of the same or do I just need to give it more time?
Old 12-01-16, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Should I keep watching Game of Thrones?

I got sort of bored with it in season 3. I stuck with it and I am glad I did. It gets so much better as it goes along.
Old 12-02-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I made it about halfway through season three and realized I wasn't caring about it. My friends are into it and it was constantly coming up in conversation so I tried binging the first two seasons before season three and started watching it live with them that season. It just never captured me I guess. I feel like there are too many characters and storylines going on and for the characters and stories I cared about there were many others I found boring and at times a bit confusing. Since then I've felt no desire to go back and watch it. For me it probably doesn't help that I'm not very big into fantasy type stories and the setting of the show so it already had that going against it for a reason I wasn't going to love it.
Old 12-02-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

A review from someone that watches live every week...It's a great show where nothing happens. Yes, people die, etc...but it's been a story that seems to drag on every week, and every season. I love it, but at the same time realize it's got issues.
Old 12-02-16, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Do you like good TV? If so, then yes.
Old 12-02-16, 10:39 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For sure !
Old 12-02-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I felt it got better and better as time went on, as well as less confusing as to who was who.
Old 12-02-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I think it is fantastically written, directed, acted, and photographed. But no, you should not continue watching it.
Old 12-02-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

No. If you have to ask, usually the answer is no.
Old 12-02-16, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe finish out the season, but if it still doesn't grab you I don't think it's worth it. I think the first few seasons were the most enjoyable and the ensuing seasons are just more of the same type of stuff.
Old 12-02-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Id at least give it the rest of the season. There's the general pattern where at the end of each season there's a gigantic event that changes everything up. The mid season episodes can seem a little slow since there's a lot of set up and character building.

But at the end if you don't like it by all means stop. It's silly to watch shows you don't like. Time is too valuable and there's too much to watch. There are many shows that are acclaimed but I just don't care for watching, and bailed after a few eps or a season. For me, The Wire is one of those. Watched a season. It was ok but I just didn't care for it (though I understand why people do).
Old 12-02-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always stop watching, and then restart the series all over in two months. I stopped watching it and then rewatched it with my wife and enjoyed it much more the second time. It was easier to follow and cement the characters in my head.
Old 12-02-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

One thing is that the GoT seasons tend to start off slow, as they're dealing with the fallout from the previous season's finale, then setting up the next season finale. So they're a bit of a slow build to a usually exiting last few episodes. The penultimate episode of season 2 is particularly good.
Old 12-02-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The first time I tried to watch it I got half way through the first episode and that was all I could take. When I revisited it a couple of years later I got hooked. I'm not sure what the difference was or what my frame of mind was when I couldn't get through it but something changed. If you're not feeling it don't watch it. You might come back sometime in the future and like it.
Old 12-02-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The show works better in binges. That is how I saw the first four seasons and it was a different experience than watching season five week to week.

The plotting is simply too dense and intricate to watch over a longer schedule.
Old 12-02-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I kind of get the sense that if I had continued to binge it I would have liked it more. Still though I don't have much desire to go back though. I was mostly just indifferent to it the entire time I watched it.
Old 12-02-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I have learned that if a show doesn't click for you, then it never will click.

Bloodline is a perfect example of a show that clicked with me right from the start yet some of my friends felt it was too slow.

Then a great show like The Wire never clicked with me as I bailed halfway through the first season. Don't try to manufacture your love for a show as either it will happen or not.
Old 12-02-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The show works better in binges. That is how I saw the first four seasons and it was a different experience than watching season five week to week.

The plotting is simply too dense and intricate to watch over a longer schedule.
For the most part my wife and I have binged the blu-rays when they're released. We'll usually watch 3 episodes at a time and it has worked out well. We can uasually knock out a season in 3days with a day or two off in between. It's a lot easier to keep track of who's who and what's going on.

Season 5 is my least favorite season. I'd suggest if you can make it through S5 push yourself to watch season 6. Shit gets real in season 6!

Edit: oops, I misread the OP. I though he/she was on season 5 not episode 5 of season 2. Oh well, screw it. My suggestion still stands!
Old 12-02-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

No.
Old 12-02-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb

Bloodline is a perfect example of a show that clicked with me right from the start yet some of my friends felt it was too slow.

Then a great show like The Wire never clicked with me as I bailed halfway through the first season. Don't try to manufacture your love for a show as either it will happen or not.
That's kind of where I'm leaning right now that the show just will not click for me. But I'm also kind of worried that if I ever try to watch it again that it will be ruined because all the plot twists will be known already just like when Jon Snow was stabbed in season six and Facebook blew up. I'm in the same boat with the Walking Dead right now which I fell behind on in season 2.

[QUOTEI think it is fantastically written, directed, acted, and photographed. But no, you should not continue watching it. ] [/QUOTE]

Yeah because it's not like I didn't already mention how I thought all of the above but the story wasn't grabbing me.
Old 12-02-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I love the show, but recognizing the characters and situations was initially a barrier for me. If you're watching on disk, the bonus features are really helpful, and don't spoil future seasons.
Old 12-02-16, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

You should quit it. The world does not need another person hate-watching what is to most people a clearly exceptional TV show. Walk away and never speak of it again.
Old 12-02-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Would agree with this, it's almost always an instant grab. You're into a show or not.

First season and a half were GoT at its best. If you have trouble getting into that portion the next few seasons will likely do nothing for you as there's some regression/filler (characters traveling from point A to B constantly without much payoff; namely the adventures of Arya Stark).
Old 12-02-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I disagree about the instant click thing, at least in general; I didn't care much for the first season of Breaking Bad, and someone even berated me a bit about it here on this forum I thought the 2nd season picked up, and the show became magnificent for me by the end.
Old 12-02-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I love the show, but if you're in Season 5 and still not liking it then I think it's not for you. It's not going to radically change at this point

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.